Protein

Options
Erindolly
Erindolly Posts: 35 Member
I am struggling to get enough protein because most things high in protein seem extra unappealing to me--I am over 12 weeks, so I was hoping it would start getting better by now, but it isn't. I am eating smoothies with protein powder and milk, eating lots of almond butter, and yogurt almost daily, but outside of these three things and eggs occasionally, I can't manage to eat much protein.

Anyone have any sage advice?

Replies

• TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    What kind of yogurt are you eating, Greek yogurt? I had the same problem, my diet was REALLY carb heavy for the first 16 weeks or so. You seem to be doing a good job if you can choke down protein shakes, even that was hard for me haha. I'm sure it'll get better soon, just try your best!
  • Erindolly
    Erindolly Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Yes, Greek yogurt--always coconut Chobani actually. :)

Thanks--I am hoping right around the corner I will be desiring lots of chicken, eggs, tofu, seafood and such.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I felt awful for the first 14 weeks and wasn't getting enough protein most days, but after that I was able to go back to my eggs for breakfast, and lots of tuna, chicken etc. I'm nearly 35 weeks now and eat high protein pretty much every day.
  • meggwyn
    meggwyn Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Do you like cheese? I probably eat too much of it! lol Cheddar, feta, cottage cheese, cheese sticks...etc. Almonds? Like you, I do a protein smoothie in the morning with banana. I usually have eggs a little later, and then have several snacks of cheese or yogurt or something. (plus lots of other stuff, but those things aren't my protein sources). I usually love meat, but just have NOT been feeling it the past few weeks, so totally get what ya mean!
  • emny86
    emny86 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much at 12 weeks. I had zero appetite for protein until half way through the 2nd trimester. However you could try experimenting with different proteins that might sound more appealing.. for example, have you thought of nitrate free bacon and sausage, frozen yogurt, kefir, different types of fish (cod is less fishy than say salmon or sardines), eggs (omelettes, scrambled in a quesadilla with cheese), beans (black beans, bean dip), how about quinoa?, custard, milkshakes/smoothies (can use yogurt and fruit, add in protein powder if you'd like), nuts and seeds (chia seeds pack in a great amount of protein by volume).. just some ideas! It'll get better though.. :)
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Seems like sufficient sources of protein to me. Hopefully your palate will open to more sources if that's your desire.
  • lieselLalor
    lieselLalor Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese or oatmeal is what I would suggest.