no answer in general forums... Protein shakes? (UK)

Options
elliej
elliej Posts: 466 Member
Copy+pasted: Just bought New Rules of Lifting which suggests a shake after each session. I've always been sceptical of shakes but I'm willing to give them a go alongside this weight training regime.

I've noticed that most don't have a V or say 'suitable for vegetarians' but when reading the ingredients I'm at a loss to understand why. What is it that's not veggie? I'm lacto-ovo and am therefore not looking for a vegan shake... any recommendations?

Replies

• heatherz104
    heatherz104 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've tried plantfusion chocolate and its pretty good. Thinking about buying a tub of the plantfusion vanilla this time or trying spirutein vanilla. The spirutein has lots of vitamins and is made with spirulina but the plantfusion has more protein per serving and is soy free. Both are vegetarian friendly. I've also tried some generic type vanilla soy protein powder from a local health food store, and I enjoyed it as well. Plantfusion has 21 g of protein per serving so if your looking to really up your protein intake, it might be a good choice for you as its one of the highest non whey protein sources I've seen. Plantfusion is vegan and spirutein is vegetarian (some does contain bee pollen I think which would make it not vegan). Whey protein is suitable for lacto-ovo vegetarians but I personally do not like it and find it hard to digest, but lots of people prefer it its a matter of trying some and finding what you like best.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that most don't have a V or say 'suitable for vegetarians' but when reading the ingredients I'm at a loss to understand why.

It might simply be that they don't feel it's necessary, because EVERYONE knows there's no such thing as a vegetarian weight lifter. You need to eat a cow a day to have the strength to pump iron! ;-p
  • rach06ao
    rach06ao Posts: 14 Member
    Options

I've noticed that most don't have a V or say 'suitable for vegetarians' but when reading the ingredients I'm at a loss to understand why. What is it that's not veggie? I'm lacto-ovo and am therefore not looking for a vegan shake... any recommendations?

It's because most contain colourings from insects or hidden gelatine :)

I find USN products really help with my protein intake
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    because EVERYONE knows there's no such thing as a vegetarian weight lifter. You need to eat a cow a day to have the strength to pump iron!

everyone knows? Robert Cheeke, Patrik Baboumian, Jim Morris, Bill Pearl, Carl Weathers, Bernarr Macfadden, Joe Rollino, Albert Beckles, Andreas Cahling, Avi Lehyani, Cory Everson, Donny Lalonde, Ed Bauer, Elena Walendzik, Giacomo Marches, Jack Lalanne, Joel Kirkilis, Keith Homes, Kenneth Williams, Luis Freitas, Patrick Reiners, Robbie Hazeley, Roy Hilligen, Tiffany Croker, Torre Washington, Willie Austin, Alex Dargatz, Billy Simmonds, Dusan Dudas are a few of the bodybuilders, weightlifters, boxers, etc... who are vegetarian and in some cases vegan. There are probably more. Pretty good company it seems.
  • saltedcaramel86
    saltedcaramel86 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I used to purchase mine from Holland and Barrett but recently discovered MyProtein website, a lot cheaper for a little more and tons more flavours. And yeah, they do have the V sign.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I have found that The Protein Works range is vegetarian and quite tasty.

If anyone wants a referral code PM me (you get free protein on your first order)