Tenth Day of Lent - Friday - Mar 14

Options
HealthFitNow
HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
Meditation
The Tenth Day of Lent presents us with the stark mirror revealing us as we are. All have sinned. All fall short of the glory of God. Jew or Gentile. Only one of us succeeded at being sinless. The Messiah, Jesus Christ.
Because we have no chance of entering the Kingdom of God as sinful as we are. But Jesus becomes the propitiation –a big word meaning an atonement sacrifice—for our sins. It is a free gift. We don’t earn it. We receive it by grace.
But we must take action, too. It is not a blanket covering of everyone. We must accept it—believe it—have faith. Our faith in the free gift gives us access.
So then the question of the law is raised. If we receive salvation by grace and can’t possibly fulfill the law well enough to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, then does Jesus’ atonement for our sins render the law unnecessary?
No. The law is a blueprint of how we are to live. Grace empowers us to fulfill the law. We are not replacing the law but we are achieving because of our faith in Christ. We are empowered to make it.

Thanks be to God.
All Scriptures printed below are in King James Version for copyright purposes. However, clicking on the verse locations will take you to Biblegateway.com where the text is linked to more contemporary versions.

Prayer: Almighty God, Open my eyes that I might see. Open my mind that I might understand. Open my heart that I might make your words a part of me. May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight. Amen

Season of Lent Bible Readings
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm 121;Micah 7:18-20;Romans 3:21-31&version=KJV;ERV;GNT;NCV;NIV (multiple versions)

Tenth Day of Lent
Psalm 121
Micah 7:18-20
Romans 3:21-31

Daily Bible Verses to Memorize for Meditating
The “Traveler’s Psalm” is worth memorizing in its whole, but at least verses 1 & 2.

Psalm 121
King James Version (KJV)
121 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.
3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.
6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
7 The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
8 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

Single Bible Study chapter to study

Romans 3:21-31
King James Version (KJV)
21 But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
27 Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
29 Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:

30 Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
31 Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

OBSERVE:

Take a moment and write three observations of the verses. What strikes you? An observation is an observable fact from the Word.

INTERPRETATION:

What do you interpret these verses to mean for you today?

APPLY:

Today, I learned _____________________________________and apply it to my life.

Prayer of Encouragement

Dear God, We thank you for covering all our sins and giving us a way to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. Empower us to accept the grace and make changes in our lives to live up to the expectations of the law. In Jesus name. Amen.

Conclusion
On the Tenth Day of Lent, we are faced with the harsh reality that none of us, save Jesus Christ, is worthy enough to fulfill the law and be saved. Thus, God gives us a free gift and we accept it by faith. Faith equips us to respond to that grace. God helps us become better at doing things right. Being righteous. Doing good. Being fair. Being loving, generous and humble.
Go out and be ready for God to do mighty things in your life.*
Thank you for visiting ChapLynne’s Daily Encouragement and Bible Study. God bless you.
*If you do not know the Lord as your personal Savior and you are seeking, please contact me. A genuine and simple prayer, asking God into your heart for the forgiveness of your sins, will also do.

Replies

• Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am glad to read todays Tenth day of Lent. I have several friends who say i am saved by the blood. I am not under the kaw, always as a claim that they do not have to work at doing right, living right, ,they are saved. I too know this but oes it give me the right not to try to be as giid, or work as hard to rbring others to Jesus. My sister says I am too hard on myself, many times I think I am not hard enough on myself. Although I can't earn sakvstion, it is a gift, o can honor and follow the comforter, who is the Holy Spirit within. When i get nagging guilt i know that there is something that I have to change or do better. Yes Jesus was perfect under the law and grace. Can i be perfect, no, but there are always better ways to do things. I visited my daughter and granddaughters today. My oldest granddaughter will be 23 Saint Patrick day. She has given up sweets for lent, so has her mother so have o. I was very worried when she went off to college. Worried about drinking, partying, peer pressure. She is doing well and graduates May 10 she wants to be an addictions counselor. I pray that God will help her to help others.
  • Gwen_B_
    Gwen_B_ Posts: 79
    Options
    OBSERVE:

Take a moment and write three observations of the verses. What strikes you? An observation is an observable fact from the Word.
    1. Righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe.

2. God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, of the one who has faith in Jesus.

3. It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith.

INTERPRETATION:

What do you interpret these verses to mean for you today?

Jesus died for everyone, no matter who you are or what your sins are, as long as you have faith.

APPLY:

Today, I learned __though faith, my sins are forgiven____and apply it to my life.

Prayer of Encouragement

Dear God, We thank you for covering all our sins and giving us a way to enter into the Kingdom of Heaven. Empower us to accept the grace and make changes in our lives to live up to the expectations of the law. In Jesus name. Amen.
  • MissSharon2013
    MissSharon2013 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Some truly believe once saved, always saved. But I do not believe that. Jesus said in His word, Go and sin no more. He didn't say, Sin; it doesn't matter now!! May God bless me to always do the best I can to be righteous at all times!!
  • HealthFitNow
    HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Thanks for raising the point about whether one has security in salvation or not.

These two views have been discussed for many years.

If you are interested you can find a comparison here: http://www.graceonlinelibrary.org/reformed-theology/arminianism/calvinism-vs-arminianism-comparison-chart/

Arminianism -- Belief that individual's free will is above all; God only knows that people will become Christians because he can see past/present/future and has foreknowledge/ the individual earns salvation by his/her works/faith. (Not all Arminians believe the latter; those believe once saved, they are protected and saved, being helped their path of works by God).

Calvinism -- Belief that people are unable to exercise any good without God's intervention. But since God's love is irresistible, the individual is drawn to accept Christ. Once saved, the saving is done by God and God is unchangeable--he doesn't go back on his word and so salvation is eternal. Even if one back slides, one is still saved. However, the individual is expected to rise to the task of doing what God wants because of being so grateful for God's grace.

I happen to be a strong Calvinist, but I can see why some believe in Arminianism. Both sides have basis in the Bible.

We are told to work out salvation with fear and trembling. -- For the Arminian it would be by works. For the Calvinist, one works with fear and trembling, because of reverence for God and desire to do what God wants as a result of God's irresistible grace and love.

I suspect that neither one is perfectly accurate. God does not exist limited by our space and time. Eternity and the eternal God, doesn't see ahead (that implies time constraints) because God sees present past and future as an ever present now. Thus, both Arminians and Calvinists fail to see God in the infinite terms of the eternal.

Bottom line.

God loves us. God sent Jesus (son of God) to become human and live within finite time/space to redeem us.

Our job: accept his act of sacrifice on faith. Believe. Trust. Obey out of love and desire to return a small portion back to God that God has given us.

Both Arminians and Calvinists agree on these things. :)