Low Carb recipe ideas

Options
Let's share our low carb meal ideas! Here are some of my favorite "snacks":

Turkey rollups: a lettuce leaf, slice or two of turkey meat (low sodium if you can find it) and a couple slices of bell pepper. I have some "Creamy Peppercorn dressing base" from penzeys spices (http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyscreamypepp.html) that I'll make up with greek yougurt and spread over the lettuce leaf for a little extra flavor kick. When I make the roll-ups ahead of time, I use a toothpick to help hold them together and then wrap in saranwrap to hold them tight. You can add some avacado as a healthy fat to these... I've heard it's yummy, if you like avacado.

1-2 oz turkey lunch meat, 2-3 oz baby carrots, string cheese

2 hard boiled eggs, 1c mixed veggies (carrots broccolli or peppers) & a string cheese

My favorite "guilty" pleasure are the snapea crisps. They are baked peas that are crunchy like chips... A little on the "fatty side" so I save them for low carb days as a special treat. (technically these would be a "funday option" as peas are a HC item, and they are higher in fat... but I'll eat them on LC days ocassionally.

Replies

• LosingMyMarbles
    LosingMyMarbles Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Mrs Dash's website has a list of low carb recipes. I'm guessing some of them would be awesome for CTL.

http://www.mrsdash.com/recipe-lists/Low-Carb/266
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Great site for low carb is.... Www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
  • 311Sarah
    Options
    My favorite snack on low carb days is the Cottage Cheese On-The Border. I modified is slightly from the book:
    1/2 cup cottage cheese
    1/2 avocado sliced
    3 tbsp salsa
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    This week some of my Low Carb snacks & meals are:

Chopped salad with a little blue cheese & red wine vinegar dressing.
    Asian Letttuce Wrap w/almonds
    Tuna Lettuce Wrap w/garlic stuffed olives
    Cottage Cheese on the Border
    Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Shake
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see a list of recipes. The low carb/lower fat is difficult for me to grasp.
  • jbdowns35
    jbdowns35 Posts: 352
    Options
    Parmesan Crusted Tilapia

16oz Tilapia fillets (4 or 5)
    1/4 Cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
    4Tbsp ground Flax Seed
    A few squirts of I can't beleive it's not butter spray
    Seasonings

Combine the cheese, Flax seed, & seasonings (I usually use garlic powder, parsley, mrs. dash, etc) Pile it evenly on fillets in a baking dish, give it a few squirst with I can't Beleive It's Not Butter Spray - or Cooking Spray, or even drizzle with olive oil. (although you're getting your healthy fat from the Flax seed) Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes until fish is done & topping is brown & toasty.

This comes in at around 160 calories. Super easy & delicious. I used to make this using bread crumbs & butter, but decided to lighten it up & make it healthier with the flax seed. A good Low Carb Dinner, serve with a salad & a veggie.
  • sherrielynn2013
    sherrielynn2013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the posts and ideas. There are alot of great ideas on this site :)
  • LosingMyMarbles
    Options
    I am making these tonight to enjoy with a salad while my husband finishes off leftover pizza... I did forget to get the mozzarella, so that of course will not be included.

http://peaceloveandlowcarb.blogspot.com/2012/11/chicken-parmesan-meatballs.html#more

I'm kind of wondering if she left something out though... it looks like quinoa in the one pic, but I don't see it in the ingredients.
  • LosingMyMarbles
    Options
    Ok, I asked and she answered right away. It's the minced garlic, not quinoa. I just made them (with some modifications) and they are awesome!

Perdue - Ground Chicken, 1 container (16 oz. cooked ea.)
    Emeril's - Home Syle Marinara Pasta Sauce, 1/4 cup cooked
    Kraft - 100% Grated Parmesan Cheese, 2 tsp ( teaspoon)
    Per Serving: Calories 146 Carbs 3 Fat10 Protein 23 Fiber 1

Serving is 3 meatballs.

I left off the mozzarella. My parm was different because I forgot to mix it in... so I sprinkled a bit on top of each one. I didn't broil it at the end, just baked it for another 5 minutes. And the best part - Hubby likes it! lol

I am going to make these again and do them differently... dry ranch mix, chili & lime, the possibilities are endless.
  • Blingslinger
    Blingslinger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not the only one with a sweet tooth :) I made these the other day (I got the recipe from another board, so I can't take credit for them). They're reallllly good and satisfy my craving for something sweet on Low Carb days! Enjoy!

Low Carb Ice Cream Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Ingredients:
    1 package sugar free chocolate instant pudding
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 cup ice water
    2 Tablespoons peanut butter

Fill mini muffin tins with small paper liners. Mix the pudding mix, heavy cream and ice water. Fill cups ½ full and then add ¼ tsp peanut butter. Top with remaining pudding mix. Freeze until solid and then store in a Ziplock bag. Makes 24.

Serving Size: 1 Peanut Butter Cup
    Calories/Serving: 29
    Carbs / Serving: 2
    Fat / Serving: 2
    Protein: 1
  • WIChelle
    WIChelle Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Yummy ideas! Thanks for sharing!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • MAV9855
    MAV9855 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm trying Low Carb Ice Cream Reese's Peanut Butter Cups !
  • Blingslinger
    Blingslinger Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My new Low Carb fav: Shrimp (protein), avocado (fat) and a little soy sauce! I usually eat this alongside a salad (for the veggies). Easy and delicious!
  • Solartiste
    Solartiste Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite is peanut butter in plain greek yogourt with celery.

Or I cook frozen green been like fries and I put some cheese on it (with already cook chicken).
  • only1bones
    only1bones Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the links....very good ideas!
  • stefne888
    stefne888 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was reading on another low carb board about heating up coleslaw mix in a pan until cooked and then adding in Laughing Cow Cheese wedges to taste. It was very popular and easy. I am trying it tonight.