Tell us about the first time you "felt strong".

Options
I'd love to hear a variety of stories about the first time you noticed your training improving your everyday life.
For me, it was a big deal the first time I was able to change the 5 gallon water jug at my work without struggle!

Replies

• wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I guess I've always been strong. I'm built like a linebacker, was raised on a farm, so lifting heavy things has never been a problem for me. However, I do love the way I feel and the changes it's making in my body.
  • emilyc85
    emilyc85 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I loved recently when my husband and I were goofing around and he actually had to put some effort out :p He can still pin me, but it is getting harder for him to do so. :glasses:
  • thebeanest
    Options
    Like wolfsbayne I've always been strong, but learning to lift heavy properly kinda turned it into a superpower.

I remember the first time I deadlifted with a plate a side (135lb/60kg) and I felt ****ing INVINCIBLE. It was the start of something beautiful. Now I do sets of 10 x 135lb as a warm up, hahaha.
  • knlucero
    knlucero Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was always the strongest in my class when it came to push- ups and sit ups, but never pull ups (I would even outdo the guys). But during college my eating habits and lifestyle made me lose that muscle mass. Now that I started weight training I can compare to the guy friends I go with because we use the same weights for most of our workouts. I know that as we get stronger they will eventually lift more than me but right now it feels good to compare to these tall friends (I'm 4'10) and I can outdo them in push ups and now I can even do pull ups (and beat them at that too). Also now I can lift the heavy food and water deliveries I make for my job and that is when I realized I am getting strong again ;)
  • karagus
    karagus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The first time I felt strong was about a year into playing roller derby. The workouts were still hard (and still are today of course!) but I remember one distinct night where everything clicked into place and all of the pushups situps, and endurance workouts came together and I felt STRONG and capable and athletic. It was awesome. Every now and then I still feel strong :)

I am just starting out (as in, just started last week!) with weight lifting. Starting small but want to get strong and lift heavy eventually. Glad I found this group today :)
  • lizmabbott
    Options
    I love reading these stories!! Thanks ladies!!

I also remember the first time I could deadlift 135... it felt awesome!! Im not on track to each my deadlift goal of 300lbs in a month or so and I have to say every PR between here and there has felt just as good!
  • maysery
    maysery Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suppose I should introduce myself in a way.... Well I began my journey to weight loss back in 2012 and simply just cut out the crap and got on with your regular exercises cardio ect.... yeah it worked well to shred the first 40 odd pounds but then I hit a wall and no matter what I did my weight stayed the same …frustrating !!

And that's when my best friends other half took me down to his GYM... "BULKS GYM" the name says it all :)
    Was I terrified when I walked into a meathead gym thinking every man in there could eat me for breakfast? hell yeah but I just got on with it and gradually began to fall in love with the sound of clunking plates loud growls and calluses on my hands from deadlifts and all the dumbbells.

Also I met my now boyfriend in there who is a power lifter and he pushes me hard and I love it.
    First time I picked up a deadlift bar with a measly 60kg and struggled to lock out…first time I flipped a 250kg tire around the car park and struggled to do so for 3 reps…. When I couldn’t squat more than 40kg in the smith machine….. To now 125 deadlift for reps, 120 squat in the mono lift and 55 bench …. When I am in the gym I feel strong in the zone and I love it. I could not go back to the regular “girly gym routine” I used to do.
  • jenangelx3
    Options
    I have always had a semi-strong lower body. I can kick pretty hard really, but it was within the last 6 months that I started to lift weights. I was hesitant at first because I was a cardio bunny before and was worried that just lifting wouldn't help me lose the weight I wanted to, but you know what, it has really helped me lose weight and keep it off while toning my body.

I have never been able to do push ups or even lift myself up in a pull up without jumping, but I can actually do like 10 push ups now and do pull ups! It's amazing because I used to struggle with them. I am loving it and I love that I can actually cause my boyfriend to struggle while arm wrestling which is usually where I fail completely.
  • DeliaTyson
    DeliaTyson Posts: 6
    Options
    Hello ladies!

The first time I felt strong was about a year and a half ago when I deadlifted my body weight plus a quarter(125lbs) for the first time. I'm short and don't put on muscle easily, so it was a huge deal to hit a number like that :) Now I can do that weight for 7-8 reps at a time.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The first time I felt strong in a really long time was last year when I had 120lbs on my bent over row.... My reaction was to run upstairs and tell the masses. And I LOVE to lift. Truly adore it... I run as well, and it's good and I've run a few 1/2 marathon distances, but lifting has that special something...:glasses:
  • alphaphijess3
    Options
    I always knew I was strong from playing sports, especially from soccer. I’ve always had really strong legs but have never lifted weights. I joined crossfit August 2013 but didn’t become serious until the beginning of this year. We decided to have an 80’s themed WOD and were doing 1 rep max deadlift. I ended up lifting 320lbs for a new personal record. I would have to say that’s when I felt really strong.
  • fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I always knew I was strong from playing sports, especially from soccer. I’ve always had really strong legs but have never lifted weights. I joined crossfit August 2013 but didn’t become serious until the beginning of this year. We decided to have an 80’s themed WOD and were doing 1 rep max deadlift. I ended up lifting 320lbs for a new personal record. I would have to say that’s when I felt really strong.

AMAZING!
  • nomoremuffins
    Options
    When training it was when I pulled 200 on a deadlift and knew I could pick up more. There was definitely a victory dance involved.

I recently picked up a solid wood rocking chair like it was nothing, which seems silly after my deadlift story, but I have to move it in and out of our gym, and it's bigger than I am and I always struggled with the awkward size of it. And one day I just picked it up and moved it and went on with my tasks like it had been made of marshmallows, and that's when I realized I was stronger. :)
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    After 7 weeks on NROLFW I took my DH to try NROLFM with me and he squatted 50lbs and found it very very challenging and he asked- how much do you squat and i said 100 lbs and he was shocked! I lifted 2x as much as him and I told him I started at 45 lbs. So he was like- you doubled in 7 weeks?
    He was so impressed.
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    The first time I was able to put 45 lb. plates on the bar. I felt like a bad *kitten*!