Twelfth Day of Lent - Monday - Mar 17

HealthFitNow
HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
Meditation
The Twelfth Day of Lent compares Jesus and Moses, reminding us that although reverence for Moses is well deserved, that Jesus is way above him. The Old Testament lesson in Numbers addresses another in a series of incidents of the Exodus of the Israelites on their way to the Promised Land. Like most humans, they were impatient because the ‘good stuff’ wasn’t happening fast enough. The trek of the Israelites followed one of three paths, and most take the southern tour to be the standard. While the numbers of people vary in estimate from 7,000 to Six Million, any of those amounts would be a logistic nightmare. Walking, cooking, setting up camp, packing up camp, gathering food—the days must have seemed long and the routines hard. Add to it the problems of procuring water, and it didn’t take the people long to complain that slavery in Egypt was preferred to dying in the wilderness.
Moses coming up toward what would be the base of Promised Land, encountered the Land of Edom (probably a mixed race of descendants of Esau) and decided to avoid confronting Edom, so he led them inland to the wilderness along the road that led across to the Red Sea, thus circumventing Edom. The people complained again, and they encountered snakes with deadly bites.
My mother used to tell the joke of the man who said, “Yesterday I thought things were so bad, they couldn’t possibly get worse. Today, I found I was wrong.” Such was the case for the Israelites. They realized without God’s intervention on their behalf, things were and could get much worse. They repented and Moses lifted up a brass serpent—anyone bitten who looked at the brass snake would be healed and not die. An amazing miracle and a foreshadow of the salvation of all by Christ being lifted up on the cross.
With all of the ways that Moses showed his faithfulness and the power of God at work through him, the New Testament epistle to the Hebrews points out that Jesus is much greater than Moses. Jesus is the Word that created everything. Just as a builder is more important than the house she designs and constructs, Jesus is more important than Moses, his creation.
Priorities. Getting the right perspective on things. Jesus was so humble and his life on earth so underwhelming to some, they questioned whether he was indeed the Messiah. Wasn’t the Messiah supposed to come and take over? Reestablish the Jewish rule? How was it that Jesus—the humble guy that washed his disciple’s feet, didn’t have a house, let alone a palace, and didn’t set up a coup d’etat—a take over—could possibly be the one? God chose him to be the high priest. God established him. And it is our task to trust and obey—believe in the superiority of Jesus over the esteemed Moses.
The Psalmist says, “Happy are those who respect the Lord and obey him.” Psalm 128:1 NCV After all, the Old Testament lesson told of how obedience to God resulted in lives being saved. The same continues to be true for us.
Thanks be to God.
All Scriptures printed below are in King James Version for copyright purposes. However, clicking on the verse locations will take you to Biblegateway.com where the text is linked to more contemporary versions.

Prayer: Almighty God, Open my eyes that I might see. Open my mind that I might understand. Open my heart that I might make your words a part of me. May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight. Amen

Season of Lent Bible Readings
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm 128;Numbers 21:4-9;Hebrews 3:1-6&version=KJV;ERV;GNT;NCV;NIV (multiple versions)

Twelfth Day of Lent
Psalm 128
Numbers 21:4-9
Hebrews 3:1-6

Daily Bible Verses to Memorize for Meditating
The “Traveler’s Psalm” is worth memorizing in its whole, but at least verses 1 & 2.

Psalm 121
King James Version (KJV)
121 I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help.
2 My help cometh from the Lord, which made heaven and earth.
3 He will not suffer thy foot to be moved: he that keepeth thee will not slumber.
4 Behold, he that keepeth Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep.
5 The Lord is thy keeper: the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand.
6 The sun shall not smite thee by day, nor the moon by night.
7 The Lord shall preserve thee from all evil: he shall preserve thy soul.
8 The Lord shall preserve thy going out and thy coming in from this time forth, and even for evermore.

Single Bible Study chapter to study

Numbers 21:4-9
King James Version (KJV)
4 And they journeyed from Mount Hor by the way of the Red sea, to compass the land of Edom: and the soul of the people was much discouraged because of the way.

5 And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.

6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
7 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

OBSERVE:

Take a moment and write three observations of the verses. What strikes you? An observation is an observable fact from the Word.

INTERPRETATION:

What do you interpret these verses to mean for you today?

APPLY:

Today, I learned _____________________________________and apply it to my life.

Prayer of Encouragement

Dear God, You are the great builder, creator of all things. When things go wrong, we often complain, but when we repent and follow in your ways, you bless us, according to the Psalmist. Help us to walk in your paths; trusting and obeying you. In Jesus name. Amen.

Conclusion
On the Twelfth Day of Lent, we learn another lesson about Moses and the famous lifting up of the serpent in the wilderness—a foreshadowing of Christ being lifted up on the cross—bringing salvation to all. The Children of Israel complained about the food (been there, done that) and they complained about the accommodations (also, been there, done that) so we can identify with how they were struggling with following God. Moses remained faithful and directed the Israelites to safely go around Edom, drawing them further into the wilderness and a harsher environment, including deadly snakes.
But God gives a way out of tragedy and trauma when we call upon the name of the Lord. When the Israelites turned their hearts to God, Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness and they were given life on earth. Jesus offered eternal life when he was lifted up as Savior for our sins. Like the Psalmist enumerates, happy are those who respect and obey God…for good blessings will happen.
Go out and be ready for God to do mighty things in your life.*
Thank you for visiting ChapLynne’s Daily Encouragement and Bible Study. God bless you.
*If you do not know the Lord as your personal Savior and you are seeking, please contact me. A genuine and simple prayer, asking God into your heart for the forgiveness of your sins will also do.

Replies

• MissSharon2013
    MissSharon2013 Posts: 536 Member
    It's so easy to forget where our blessings come from in the really hard times because it feels like God has abandoned us! But that's the time to hold on even more! Lord, let me hold steadfast onto your desire for me! Don't let me get up in my fleshly desires and confuse my will with yours. Don't let me go out in the world and conform to its ways! But let me be transformed by Your words! Thank You, dear God for keeping me in good and bad times!
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    This lesson is very true for me. The more i follow Gods Words and ways the calmer i am. My blood pressure is always where it should be when I am in the word. When i venture off and do it my way, or think oh ell, i will follow the worlds eay, than I get depressed, eat too much dont sleep well. I know Jesus is the way, the truth, also know the world is temporary. May I try to continue to walk in the way. I am so happy and fulfilled this way. Thank you for your prayers Chaplynne. It helps to live life well.
  • Gwen_B_
    Gwen_B_ Posts: 79
    OBSERVE:

Take a moment and write three observations of the verses. What strikes you? An observation is an observable fact from the Word.
    1. “Why have you brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? For there is no food and no water...So the Lord sent fiery serpents among the people, and they bit the people; and many of the people of Israel died.

2. “We have sinned, for we have spoken against the Lord and against you; pray to the Lord that He take away the serpents from us.” So Moses prayed for the people.

3. “Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a pole; and it shall be that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, shall live.”

INTERPRETATION:

What do you interpret these verses to mean for you today?

Repent our sins and walk obediently and God will bless us.

APPLY:

Today, I learned ___repent my sins and walk obediently and God will bless us__and apply it to my life.

Prayer of Encouragement

Dear God, You are the great builder, creator of all things. When things go wrong, we often complain, but when we repent and follow in your ways, you bless us, according to the Psalmist. Help us to walk in your paths; trusting and obeying you. In Jesus name. Amen.