New and loving Stronglifts

Options
Piscesmoon68
Piscesmoon68 Posts: 19 Member
Hi everyone :) I've completed 4 Stronglifts workouts now and I feel wonderful!

I'm 46 years old and a grandmother to 2 little darlings. Such a crazy time of life to begin a program like this but here I go! My bf, who is 10 years younger than me, has been doing the program for a while. I'm very fortunate because he has a complete weight set up, so I'm good to go with all of that in the comfort of our own home and he's coaching me and watching my form.

I am very much over weight and in the past 2 years I've had 2 surgeries (knee and ankle) on my left leg. When complaining about knee pain, he kept telling me to "do squats". (Yeah right! Me? Bahahhaha He's so funny!) Finally, after watching his form seriously shape up while doing this program, something inside of me clicked and I decided it would try it out.

I love it!! I really truly love it! And yes, I'm squattin! lol I started with an empty 15 pound bar and yesterday I believe I squatted 30 lbs, if I remember correctly. Of course it's not all squats but I am most proud of the squats since they were the ones I always said "I can't" to. :)

I have so much weight to lose (around 100 lbs) but I'm feeling stronger and more confident already. So make room ladies... granny is on board! haha

To anyone wondering if you can do this... Believe me, if I can, almost *anyone* can!!

Replies

• catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Congrats to you !!

I can totally relate to the "do squats" yeah right. My son (25) told me to suck it up and squat. This was after I watched him squatting over his body weight 3-4 months after having ACL surgery. Like you I started with and empty bar (20 lbs) and 6 months later I'm squatting 100 lbs.

Oh and I'm 53.

Keep up the good work and enjoy. Lifting is awesome.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Congrats and welcome..

finally another "cougar" too...my husband is 9 years younger than me...Yah to you and bravo on both fronts.

And yes squat..not just for the knee but the bum....

Looking forward to seeing you in the workout check in thread..

ETA: I am 41 (42 in nov) son is 20 in July and husband just turned 32...we all Lift now...Yah.
  • TGDMJNoles
    TGDMJNoles Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to Stronglifts and just started today. I did Allpro's for a couple weeks and realized it would take forever on that program to add any weight at all to the bar and decided I would change to SL before I got further involved in that.

I had no problems with Workout A with the starting weights given but with adding weight every session I am sure it will get crazy hard before too long.

I'm 44YO and a year and 4 days older than my husband so not really cougarish but still a little older.

I'd like to lose about 30 pounds but I am open to this. I have already lost some weight and have been investing in new clothes which is always fun.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who married and older man. Hubby is 60 and I'm 53.

Enjoy your shopping. :drinker:
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good job!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am new to Stronglifts and just started today. I did Allpro's for a couple weeks and realized it would take forever on that program to add any weight at all to the bar and decided I would change to SL before I got further involved in that.

I had no problems with Workout A with the starting weights given but with adding weight every session I am sure it will get crazy hard before too long.

I'm 44YO and a year and 4 days older than my husband so not really cougarish but still a little older.

I'd like to lose about 30 pounds but I am open to this. I have already lost some weight and have been investing in new clothes which is always fun.

Welcome and yes still cougarish...:drinker:

You have found the right place for losing weight and by weight I mean fat...buying new cloths is always fun...

As for adding the weights 5lbs max except for DL...and as mentioned in another thread we all have even small weights...2.5lbs, and smaller fractionals.

I even have collars that weigh 3.5lb together...whatever gets you progressing is great.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Welcome ladies! It's great to see new members to the group that love lifting as much as we do! :happy:

I started SL at the end of October, when I was 57, and I turned 58 in January. I'm a year and 4 months older than my hubby. Just enough for him to remind me of it, without him getting in too much trouble. :laugh:
  • Piscesmoon68
    Piscesmoon68 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm a year and 4 months older than my hubby. Just enough for him to remind me of it, without him getting in too much trouble. :laugh:

Now *that's* funny! :D
    Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. My next workout is tonight and I'm excited!!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who married and older man. Hubby is 60 and I'm 53.

Enjoy your shopping. :drinker:

I'm 30 and my husband is 38 :smile:

Congrats OP and welcome to the group :drinker: