Just starting!

Options
f66bs
f66bs Posts: 15 Member
I am just starting the process. I love all the success stories I have read and everyone's journey. I am wondering how long did it take everyone from the time they scheduled first appt until you were scheduled surgery. I know all insurances work differently and all Dr's are different.
I am very happy to be part of this group and can't wait to start this new chapter of my life!

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    13 months. I took my time, did the research, asked questions and slowly worked through all the required appointments. Some people do it faster, some take longer. For me taking it slow until I was completely comfortable with the decision and life changes was the way to go.
  • sue100194
    sue100194 Posts: 129
    Options
    Mine was a year, almost 13 months from when I went to my family practice Dr and then started the insurance paperwork so I could get approval to see a weight loss surgeon. then the Insurance required supervised weight loss. Then all the pre op consults and nutrition counseling and surgery was scheduled for November. Then I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery so I pushed the procedure back 3 months after that. Finally, on Feb 12 of this year I had surgery. When I started the process, I really thought I'd have the surgery last summer but it took me until September just to get all the pre-op consults completed. The good thing was that I had plenty of time to make some lifestyle changes, change some habits and make the mental changes needed.
  • HMD7703
    HMD7703 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Mine was just a couple months, but I didn't have to jump through hoops for my insurance. They saw a mass during the EGD and boom approved. It was so quick that I did not have time to even think. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I do not regret having it done though. I love my sleeve. Totally changed my life!!

:flowerforyou:
  • Richie2shoes
    Richie2shoes Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting as well! Good luck!
  • tompkinsw
    tompkinsw Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I started the process in December by going to my PCP for a talk about my weight. The next month I contacted the bariatric center. I've gone for my initial appointment, along with my monthly weigh-ins with my PCP, and my surgery is tentatively scheduled for June 16th. I'm looking forward to it!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    It took 9 months for me to get my surgery date. I got pretty impatient towards the end of the process, but looking back I was glad to have the time to make the changes in my life that would help me post-surgery. Having surgery was one of the best decisions I have ever made. Not only has my health improved, so has my quality of life! Good luck to you!
  • f66bs
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm nervous and excited but mainly excited to be healthy :)
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My experience has been just what was described verbally and in written form through my weight management team. I had to get through exercise level, psychological and health clearances in order to move forward, which happened quite fast. I was sleeved on 2/5/14 after much research and thought put into it. I attended an information meeting open to anyone in late October and started the process in early November 2013. It was extremely helpful to have the time prior to surgery so I could get used to eating protein first and not drink with meals (my hardest part), and break my meals into 5 - 6 small meals per day and at least start some type of exercise.

10 days prior to my surgery I went on a special diet rich in protein and fiber that was purchased through the program. My recovery was very quick, I had no nausea and followed the in-depth instructions for post surgery and eating stages. I have just started to eat soft foods, and have no problem as long as I remember to eat and chew slowly no more than a few ounces at any one time.

I hope your surgery and recovery will be as quick and pain free as most of us have experienced. In fact, most days I have to remind myself that surgery even took place.

Keep us posted and feel free to ad me as a friend and there are no silly or stupid questions or concerns with individuals in this group and I have gained plenty of first-hand information and guidance from several people.
  • f66bs
    Options
    Thank you @Harm0706! Wow I hope my recovery will go that smoothly. The only thing that worries me is the time off I will need to take off from work.
  • Syndigutez5
    Syndigutez5 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    12 months for me, my insurance required me to take nutrition classes and psych classes for six months. Once the class was done and the instructors cleared you, they would send a letter to your insurance and pcp letting them know your done and recommended for surgery. Then you started your preop appts. Ie seeing the surgeon, getting your EGD, and EKG and blood work. Once those are clear the surgeon will schedule surgery. At least that is how it happened for me. It went by really fast for me, and I'm happy that I did it. I'm three weeks post op and feel great! Good luck to you!
  • Lorie269
    Lorie269 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a 6 month pre-op requirement through my insurance. I had to attend monthly support groups and classes where I would weigh-in. I started in January 2013 and had my surgery in July 2013. Now, I am grateful that I had to go through all of the pre-op learning. It really got my head in the game and had me work out a lot of my food issues before surgery. Good luck with your journey!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    6 months for ins approval then 3 wks to schedule surgery. I have a non-lifting job at a desk, surg on wed, back at work mon. I needed the distraction. After 7 days of broth(pre-op/post op) I was sooo head hungry. 6 months is a good amount of time to go to support group meetings and talking to people and realizing that this is ONLY a tool. You will let go of your Kryptonite foods and the surgery will help you with real hunger and proper portions...or you will continue your bad habits lose 20lb and gain it all back. During those 6 months I focused on WLS failure to find out what I was really facing, I watched videos and read blogs and talked to people. It was exactly as my surgeon said. They did not eat a non processed diet of 70%protein,25% veg-no potato5%whole grain carb. They continued to medicate with food instead of dealing with their problems. They grazed instead of sticking to 3 meals (3/4 -1 cup) and 1 snack per day. The key always seemed to be the refusal to let go of Kryptonite foods. When people ask about my wt loss secret and I say I no longer eat wheat, rice or potato-they say "Never mind".
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had attended a couple of oritentation meetings at other hospitals and with other doctors about 2 years before I went to Grand Health Partners and attended an orientation meeting there. By then I knew which surgery I wanted and was ready to commit. It took about a year from that point until all the tests were done and I could have the surgery. I had a few extra hoops to jump through because of some odd health issues, so it took a couple of extra months from normal. Best thing I've ever done for myself!!
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am preop too!
    I am in Canada, so my journey will be different as far as time lines. (Insurance isn't an issue, for me, it's getting in)

I had my referral sent in from my family doctor in June of 2012. I got a call in December of 2013 (18 months after my referral) from the WLS program.

I went for my orientation in January of 2014 (19 months after my referral)

That was the longest part so far of my journey, and that's about the same for everyone doing this program in BC. Although, I have heard that the wait is now 2-3 years from the 18 months I waited to start the program.
    *There are only TWO bariatric programs in BC. The one i'm in (Richmond BC) and one in Victoria BC, that I hear has a 7+ YEAR waitlist.
    During the 18 months that I waited, I did a LOT of reasearch. I found out what I needed to do in order to have my surgery, and what i'd need to do for after. I started making those changes, and lost 55 pounds (I slipped and gained back 15, but that's life, and i'm ok with it)

After the orientation, getting the surgery depends on the person, and how ready they are.

I had my appt with the psych in Feb 2014, and was cleared for surgery.

I am also currently working with an excersise psychologist (who is part of my program) who has cleared me for surgery. He said I am ready now, and wants me to do it sooner than later. I am hoping for June, because I am off work Jun 13 for 12 weeks. I can't afford to take time off for surgery. He really wants me to go in before June, but I can't. I get his reasoning. He says he doesn't want me to lose my motivation. I think i'm doing ok. Hanging in there. LOL

I saw the nutritionist in Feb of 2014, and she gave me some things to work on. I see her again next week (March 2014) and hope that she will clear me for surgery (She's the last one who has to clear me before I can see the surgeon and set a date)

I have had all my bloodwork done. Ultrasound done, sleep apnea test done, and now I am doing the logistical stuff, like see the preop docs.
    I see the respirologist on Monday. Hopefully see the surgeon in the next month or so, and go from there.

So far I am on track for late June, early July.

Mentally and physically I am ready. It's just work & life holding me back.

We don't really have any insurance things that need to be done for approval. It's the surgeon who approves us.
    Sleeve & RNY are covered in my Province. Lapband is not.

That's where I am in my journey!
  • f66bs
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your experiences with me! I will definitely keep you updated :) thanks again!