Type 1

Options
lalaerin
lalaerin Posts: 5 Member
Hello,

I am new here! I'm 30, type 1 on an Animas pump and I have two young children.
I'm looking for new friends that can motivate and support me through losing weight and getting healthier. I'm tired of not feeling good anymore and I know it's from lack of exercise and eating crappy food.

So add me if you want :)

Replies

• kithalloyd
    kithalloyd Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    hello and welcome to the group :smile: we are going to have a blast
  • lalaerin
    lalaerin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi - thanks! Good to meet another fellow Type 1 ! Weight loss is hard enough without having to factor in low blood sugars and insulin ! Hope we can encourage and motivate each other!
  • jbalistriere
    jbalistriere Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! This is a great tool to keep motivated and get on track. It really helps being in the diabetic groups since we all understand the insulin woes (ugh!). :)
  • rajathwalharris
    Options
    Welcome!!
    Yes, definately nice to be part of this group.....managing diabetes is hard enough, with all the lows and balancing act we have to do day in and day out...but it becomes easier once you get your groove on so to speak.....let's motivate one another :)
  • kareeta
    kareeta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I agree with all of the above, being Type 1 is certainly challenging! I am (luckily) finding so far that I have tighter control now that I am using this website to monitor everything alongside the exercise.

That said, there is nothing more annoying than having a good day calorie wise and then having a massive hypo that puts you in hunger mode!

Karen
  • Starterbeauty
    Options
    Hi,
    Welcome to the group, I'm 25 and type 1 and joined this group for the same reason. I hope we can help eachother!
  • skpatten
    skpatten Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is Sherri. I have been diabetic for 37yr. I am 47 yrs old. I need to lose 30lbs. I keep trying and keep messing up.yuk have a hard time when my sugars go low. And say oh well'. Can you other diabetics that no what I am going through please help me? I am 5'3 weight 162
  • skpatten
    skpatten Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This might sound stupid but I read where someone said they did the roadmap? What does that mean? I put 1200 calorie down for me?? If you guys go c low what do you eat or drink ?
  • Larimer26
    Options
    Hey my name is Sharyn I am 19 and am a type 1 dieabetic and I am starting to realize that it takes a lot of help to get my Dieabetis under control and I am new to this whole deal trying to improve so that I can live a long and healthy life . If you want to add me or have suggestions on how to keep my blood sugar under 200 don't hesitate to say Thank You
  • kchez1105
    Options
    Hi!! I'm Karen, diagnosed at age 5 and 28 years old now. Weight loss is certainly a lot tougher with T1D on board... like Kareeta (another Karen :) said, sometimes I have all my food planned out then a low will screw up my whole cal count!!! it's especially frustrating after exercising - it feels like pouring salt in a wound!

Wondering if anyone has advice for me... I typically do Zumba three nights a week and my problem is I intentionally keep my BG level in the low 200s in preparation for it. I know this is not ideal but not sure what else to do as the intense cardio shoots my BG down right away. I've had to leave mid-class which frustrates me so much. How does everyone else deal wth BG control before/during/after exercise?

oh and I also have a sister with T1 and her two year old daughter (my niece) was diagnosed at 11 months.
  • Softfire04
    Softfire04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey all! My name is Makena..T1, dx @ 4yrs..now 27yrs. Struggling with weight loss most of my life..very tough. I am so much better now with bs levels...but again, weight loss doesn't want to happen..looking for support, feedback, and ideas..as most of you may find, those that are not Type1..dont get it..at all, even doctors..when it comes to weight loss and T1. So hello to everyone!

I also work very hard each year to raise $$ for the JDRF walk that takes place in my town. Please stop by my page and LIKE
    https://www.facebook.com/MAKENASHOPEFORACUREJDRF?ref=hl

Anyways,
    so I am on a 1500 cal diet for now..trying to reset my body..Ive recently looked into Venus Index..very cool info :-) Any good weight loss tips, tricks, foods used when craving something, ect...
    Is it true, the lower the insulin dosage, better weight loss?
    Please, anything will help...maybe something your doing that is successful that i have not tried or am doing..

Anyone else here get T1 at about my age and is same age as me?
  • neme426
    Options
    Hi everyone I'm 23 yrs been diabetic since I was 18. I'm on lantus and novolog and recently been struggling with loosing weight. Its so frustrating and sometimes I feel like giving up. I'm just looking to make some friends and get some support from people that understand what I'm going thru. So feel free to add me =)
  • kareeta
    kareeta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi Again!

I have not been on here for the last three months almost as I have been recovering from a back injury (bulging disc) which was incredibly painful and allowed for zero exercise.

The knock on effect for my blood sugars has been hard to deal with, and I know my HBA1C will be elevated this time around. I have not regained too much weight thankfully (around 3-4 lbs) but the insulin doses have increased a lot and the lack of energy has been irritating .

Hi to all newbies, will add you now, I'm back on the exercise regime this week at last which I am thankful for , and I look forward to being motivated by you all :)

Karen
  • playbunny56
    Options
    Hi everyone :) I'm 35 and have been diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes 11 years ago. I am on Levemir and Novolog Insulin. Prior to being on Insulin(which I was prescribed nine years ago) I was a healthy weight. I had no weight issues until I started insulin. I also had bad eating habits, and barely exercised for many years which led to me being on a high dosage of insulin and being overweight :( I have recently starting adhering to a low carb diet and have been slowly adding exercise, more activity, and better habits into my life. I have been able able to lower the Novolog drastically and slowly been decreasing my base insulin Levemir and maintaining better blood sugar levels. I have lost 8 pounds so far. My Fitness pal has been a great tool for tracking my diet.
  • LauraLynn88
    Options
    I use to have the same problem. You drop during exorcise because the carbs get burned off quickly, leaving you with a low that forces you to drink some juice, ugh! More calories. Before I exorcise I use the old diabetic standby, a carb with a protein. Like chicken with a fruit salad or an apple with peanut butter on it. Protein helps the body digest carbs slower keeping your blood sugar in check and allowing you to finish the Zumba class :)
  • LauraLynn88
    Options
    Every time you eat a carb you have to eat a protein with it. That will help with your blood sugars.
  • marierenicks
    marierenicks Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys

Just wanted to say hello Im type 1 on Insulin Pump and for last year tried so hard to loose the last stone but like alot of you finding it very difficult with low BG or just general being Diabetic :)
    Marie