Running with your dog

Options
Sirrunsalot75
Sirrunsalot75 Posts: 370 Member
Do you run with your dog? How old was your dog when you started running with them? How far do you take them?

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I do. He was 2.5 years when we started. A small terrier, about 17-18 lbs. We both started C25K at the same time, so he didn't get suddenly thrust into long distances without preparation. He runs with me whenever the temperature is less than 75F (assuming a dawn or dusk run, not mid day sun). Neither of us has run more than 10k at this point, but I believe that he will be able to do anything I will be able to do in the future.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    My current pooch's health won't permit it. But my best running buddy dog was a male pit bull I owned. I waited until she was a year before taking him on runs. I gradually built up distance. After experimenting, I found that 10 miles was no problem at all. I did take him on a 20 miler and it was a mistake. I kept having to detour to let him go jump in a farm pond. I was also overheating and running low on water. Maybe on a cool day it would have been OK. He made it just fine, but I never brought him on runs longer than 10 after that.

That was when I lived in the country. I live in town now and have zero dog issues. But in the country, I seriously had dog issues. You could never tell what kind of crazy dogs would tear out of a trailer and come after you. So I carried pepper spray (and I only used it once). I thought bringing Buster with me might help with the dog thing. Nope. It made it much worse. Your dog is actually a magnet to other dogs. They didn't want any part of him, but they would still run up and stay just out of range yapping at you incessantly. And of course your dog is pulling at the leash and getting fired up. It was annoying, but worth it for his sake. He needed the exercise. But running without a dog means less potential drama.

The only thing in town that happened to me dog related was when a lady was in her yard with her dog and her dog came after me. I was running down the center of the street. I managed to dance around a bit and deliver one kick (not too hard mind you) and was able to escape. I didn't have my pepper spray since I didn't figure I needed it in town since I never had before. What was really annoying was when I posted the account to Facebook, I had a slightly psychotic dog lover who really tore into me for admitting that I kicked at the dog. "If someone came into your house and starting attacking your family you would fight back. That is all the dog was doing!". Um, I was in the middle of the street. Sheesh. Ok, enought rambling.

TL&DR: Yes I used to run with my dog. I waited until he was 1 and I could comfortably take him on runs up to 10 miles.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    My 50lb North American Brown Dog LOVES to run with me. She'll go about 2.5 miles in the summer, 4 if I hose her down before hand to keep her cool. In the winter she has near infinite stamina. I take her on any run under 7 miles and she powers through the whole thing, eating snow along the way lol. We got her when she was ~10mo old and I ran with her on the 1st night.

She loves hill sprints too, she crabs the lead and tries to pull me up the hill LOL.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I run pretty much exclusively with Haley, the 85 pound, black, German Shepherd, that lives with us. She is my running companion and gets very upset if I head out without her. We started running together shortly after I started running so she has trained with me from the beginning. She was about 3 1/2 at the time. Our longest run together was 10.75 miles; not sure I would run her much farther than that as she does not like to hydrate while we are on the road. According to our vet - if you can keep your dog hydrated and they train with you from the beginning they should be able to run as far as you can; it is just a matter of training, the same as it is for us. We have a dog running leash (goes around your waist) and Haley has her own pack to carry water for both of us and a folding dish for her when we go for long runs in the warmer weather. The pack gives her a job and she loves these runs all the more. Personally I don't enjoy my runs quite as much when Haley is not with me. We tend to run pre-dawn hours and I am very much looking forward to "running into the dawn" with her as spring sunrise hours get here.
  • Sirrunsalot75
    Options
    Thanks for all of the tips. I have a 4 month old German short hair mix with boundless energy. I read in several places not to start running with them until they are at least a year old. I took her on two leisurely jogs at about 10:00/mi for a little over three miles and she did fine, but after reading about not taking them as puppies, I was a little concerned.
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Rocky is my constant companion. He's a 3 yr old blue heeler, and still so much a puppy! The moment my sports bra goes on he goes ballistic. Even when I'm behind closed doors, he still knows what's going on! I admit I have considered running witthout him at times, so I can just focus on me and my running, but I imagine his disappointment and can't bring myself to leave him! Plus, for all the poo interruptions and bug chasing, when it gets tough, he's the one that puts a smile on my face :) At this point we've only been 3.75 miles, but I want to run distance eventually!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    My husband and I both take our Border Collie, Toby, running with us. Unfortunately he likes to chase cars so we are limited to where we can run with him. We started taking him running when he was a year old and slowly built up the distance. He does have a habit of running off to chase birds and then getting lost so it can be a bit frustrating having to double back to look for him. He is a typical Border Collie, with an unlimited supply of energy, but a long run usually guarantees us a couple of hours peace when we get home!
  • mmmb30
    mmmb30 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have a 4 yr old yellow lab that I take out sometimes.
    Usually no more than 4 miles, but reading the distances here maybe I can get his mileage up!
    He LOVES being outside and running with me
  • amandamurdaugh
    amandamurdaugh Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have a small 18 lb beagle mix. He's up to 6 miles on the trail. I force him to stick with 10-12 min/mi. Otherwise, he'll burn himself out going too fast. We walk at least 3 miles at a time, twice a week. He also walks with my husband. I do not run with him on the roads. He's about 2 years old. He's in better shape than most people
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Our dog is a bit too old to accompany me now, but in the summer, when she can roam off leash at the lake, she will run the road to the beach and back with me a couple of times before she dives in for a swim and dries off in the sun.
  • Sirrunsalot75
    Options
    OK. My vet said as long as she is just trotting, she should be fine as long as I monitor her to make sure she isn't overdoing it. Yeah!!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    This thread reminds me that i have to take my new pooch out running with me! I used to take my other dog running with me, but he cant even hack a 3 mile plod anymore, much more interested in walking around and smelling random things
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We have two whippets, and we increased their distances VERY slowly - after all they are sprinters rather than long distance runners......

were sprinters......

Now they happily do ten miles with us, mostly completely off lead, they realise they are in for a long run and suddenly get sensible and run alongside. We run at about 8 minute miles with them, which is a good pace for them, but I don't think they'd want to go much faster. We did 13 miles once and we had stiff dogs - it was too much for them.

They really enjoy running with us - but it realy is vital to up the training slowly, and only once they are old enough as certainly in the first year their bones are still developing. In the UK they don't let dogs do agility until they are 18 months old and I used that as a bit of a guideline for when to start ours.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Anyone find it ironic that as runners we complain about strange dogs off leash but there are a few people here who run with their dogs off leash??

I have a 3 yr old shepard mix as a running partner and we are building her endurance. She is now up to 5 miles with us at a pretty good pace. Unfortunately she only runs with me when I have my husband along because she has a strong prey instinct and will occasionally try to take off after a squirrel. The one time I was holding her leash and she did that I ended up hurting my hip due to being wrenched around. She weighs half of what I weigh so it doesn't take much for her to move me to where she wants to go. The more we run with her though the better her running manners are getting.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I run with my Dobie mix right now. She is 8 months old and a bundle of energy. I had her hips xrayed so I could go ahead and start running with her as I couldn't wear her out by walking her. I can barely make a dent in her energy by running her lol

My coonhound, now, he won't run. He loves to put on his leash, but the second we walk by the car, his excitement starts to dwindle. He loves going to the woods and scampering around sniffing things. he can hike for miles and miles and knows that if we are getting in the car, it is probably time for the woods. He will not do more than one lap around our neighborhood.

Now for years and years I ran with my Rott, Harley. She would do up to 10 miles with me. The most faithful, loving, loyal beast a girl could have asked for. We had to start spelling the word R U N as she would get so excited if someone said it and then she got to where she could spell it too. She knew she had to sit and be patient while we were putting on her leash but her whole body would just tremble with joy and she would be smiling the whole time. That is the joy I try to have when I run. I miss her so much and am still heartbroken to this day that she is no longer with me.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I run with my German Shorthaired mix. I got him when he was 1.5yrs so pretty developed at that point. He had no issue with the first 3mile run we went on. His longest is about an hour and a half. He's got so much energy at first that he easily runs an extra couple miles over the course of the run. He does well enough hydrating on his own but I don't hesitate to give him some of mine...yes, from my bottle. We just did a hill run yesterday and he loved it. my goal is to run a half with him but that's about as far as I want. I'm a bad dog owner and let him run off leash in the woods despite the trail rules. But apparently I'm not alone since I have run into other dogs and owners of similar mindset. His recall is pretty good and he doesn't have the prey drive that would concern me. Guess I'm lucky there lol.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I run with my Dobie mix right now. She is 8 months old and a bundle of energy. I had her hips xrayed so I could go ahead and start running with her as I couldn't wear her out by walking her. I can barely make a dent in her energy by running her lol

My coonhound, now, he won't run. He loves to put on his leash, but the second we walk by the car, his excitement starts to dwindle. He loves going to the woods and scampering around sniffing things. he can hike for miles and miles and knows that if we are getting in the car, it is probably time for the woods. He will not do more than one lap around our neighborhood.

Now for years and years I ran with my Rott, Harley. She would do up to 10 miles with me. The most faithful, loving, loyal beast a girl could have asked for. We had to start spelling the word R U N as she would get so excited if someone said it and then she got to where she could spell it too. She knew she had to sit and be patient while we were putting on her leash but her whole body would just tremble with joy and she would be smiling the whole time. That is the joy I try to have when I run. I miss her so much and am still heartbroken to this day that she is no longer with me.

All our animals are precious to us but some of them are extra-special.
  • valentine4
    valentine4 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My lab used to accompany me running but as I started to increase my distance she started to decrease...

Her problem is she always walked with a buggy, from she was a pup until she was 5 she walked for miles alongside a single, then double then back to single buggies and she was great and really well behaved.

The problem now is she misses the buggy ( so do I sometimes) so she swings from side to side and then behind me constantly looping around and occasionally tripping me up, for that reason she has been retired from running with me and is back walking with me and the kids.

You can't beat a dog for company. My poor husband complains the dog is loved more than him in the house..no one disagrees with him :)
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I run with my 9 year old Chocolate lab, we used to take him out running a lot before, he was up to 4 miles but than we stopped taking him. Recently I started taking him again and he can go up to 3 miles with no problems, he does go slow about 11 min pace I cannot make him go faster, if I do he slows down and will not go anymore.

I love running with him and I know he enjoys it as well, I am hoping to be able to take him with me a lot more during my morning runs and increase his distance.
  • icastro25
    icastro25 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm a relatively new runner, but I do always run with my 3 year old pit bull and he LOVES it. Currently, we do about 3 miles and he's had no problems at all. When I started running, I started with him, so we have been training together to gain mileage. The biggest problem I had when I first started running with him was him pulling on the leash. He would just get so excited and pull the entire time. I switched him to a Gentle Leader head collar and it has changed my world. He now keeps my exact pace regardless of the environment/people/other dogs, etc. It's been really wonderful and I couldn't image running without him.