Short Waisted Girl Problems :-P

Options
Nimue108
Nimue108 Posts: 110 Member
So, I am getting my pattern together to make my leotard for Maya (Borderlands 2) for Dragon Con. I KNEW I would have to modify it because I have almsot the shortest torso allowed with the parts I have (less than a finger width between my ribs and hip bone when standing). Well, I took my measurements and I have to take 4 INCHES off of the pattern because the back length for the pattern is 16 in and I am 12 in. That is ridiculous, lol. At least I know it will fit, but goodness I think I should make short waisted patterns and sell them because it can be alot of work to mod them.

Replies

• Grendel07
    Grendel07 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    fun! I really want to make my own costumes for Cons! Although, I havent sewed in over 7-8 years. I eventually want to start to make my own because my husband and I want to go to more Cons and actually dress up. As someone who is interested in making costumes; do you just come up with an idea on your own and then go and sew stuff together? or are there patterns you can find online to help you make the costume?
  • Nimue108
    Options
    I pick what I want to do and break it down into the most basic shape. For Maya, she wears a one armed leotard and pants so I bought a leotard costume and I will make out of grey milliskin (basically athletic stretchy fabric) and then add the yellow from vinyl and then add the fishnet. I generally find that all costumes can be broken down or you can find a pattern online (which I had to do when I made myself a Connor Kenway coat last year, THAT was a beast). I suggest starting easy like a simple dress and go from there, but make sure you measure well because that makes a whole world of difference.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Less than a finger width? JEEBUS. How tall are you? 0.o

I'm about 5'10", but for my height I have a short abdomen. It sucks because I'm going to have to lose a lot of fat there to get a slim waist XP
  • Nimue108
    Options
    Lol, I am 5'3" and probably 3' of it is leg (not kidding). I joked that I should donate my skeleton to science when I die and watch them puzzle over it.
  • kandell
    kandell Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    lol I hear ya. My abdomen isn't quite as short as yours, but it's short XP