EXERCISE

Options

Replies

• mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My exercuse, due to my stroke, is kind of limited to walking. That being said, I have increased my steps from maybe 500, when I started 14 months ago, to about 12,000 to 15,000 steps a day now, So that, along with staying within my calories, is what I have done since joining MFP...:smile:
  • martinytime
    martinytime Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Mainly been on my treadmill. I bought it a year ago and maybe used it a total of 2 weeks...then it collected dust and my clothes. Now, the last 59 days, used it 52 or so days out of the 59....looking forward to walking outside but I am afraid I wont push myself as much outside....the treadmill will kick you off if you cant keep up...so I am kind of conflicted right now.....
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Richard Simmons dvds for now and my recumbent bike. Once the snow is gone we have a nice park here we walk and its a 5 1/2 mile walk around the lake. We take the dogs and it takes us about 45 minutes.. I am looking forward to doing that again. We did it a lot last year and my whole family enjoys it as well as the dogs
  • wordsandmusic51
    wordsandmusic51 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Marty, your steps always blow me away! I am so limited now, but improving every day. I literally was unable to walk for many years. I am so excited to be adding steps each day!

Kristi, lol, I had to laugh because I have to go slow, for short bursts, and that is always my fear, becoming a Funniest Home Video!

LouAnn, so many people make fun of the Richard Simmons videos, but they can be a real workout. I used to do them years ago, does he have new ones? How lucky to live near a lake!
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    we have 7 lakes in my town, but only one that we can walk completely around. We have 2 others that we take the canoe around.

Richard Simmons has a ton of dvds now, but I am back on his first original one. I did them years ago before the vhs died. Recently bought the dvd and its been fun, love the music so it goes by quick. When I am more fit I will need something more but this is a good way for me to get back into it again.
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    When I first started exercising (don't judge me!) lol, I used his video for older people, I think it was called Sliver something. I swear, I went through so many emotions feeling old before my time, but it worked when I needed it!
  • culo97
    culo97 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    My exercuse, due to my stroke, is kind of limited to walking. That being said, I have increased my steps from maybe 500, when I started 14 months ago, to about 12,000 to 15,000 steps a day now, So that, along with staying within my calories, is what I have done since joining MFP...:smile:
    Have you tried riding a bike? It's a great low impact outside exercise where you can go fast. Or at least feel the wind on your face.
  • mart001
    mart001 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I did consider that, but due to my stroke, my balance is not the best. I was in walmart and nobody was around so i tried it in the aisle and almost crashed into the shelves. All i could think of was an announcement over the stores speakers, " cleanup. in aisle 8". maybe it was from my balance, maybe because i havent ode a bike probably in 30 years, i am not sure. I will try agin 1 day, but probaby be in a football outfit so i have a helmet, knee pads, shoulder pads etc.. just in case lol.....:smile:
  • mjharman
    mjharman Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I try to keep up with the following exercise schedule:
    Monday and Wednesday - Zumba class and Les Mills Body Pump class at the Y
    Tuesday - I have school so no exercise :frown:
    Thursday - C25K training. I like to do this at the local park, but on bad weather days, I will do it on the track at the Y
    Friday - No exercise. Date night with my hubby...usually spent at home...on the couch...watching Grimm...LOL!
    Saturday - I either do C25K training at the Y track + Les Mills Body Pump class OR I can go to Salem Lake if its nice.
    Sunday - OK...housework and homework have to get done SOMETIME! LOL!

Last Saturday was the first chance I got to go back to Salem Lake since early fall. I was able to do 3 C25K training sessions with 2 free runs and the app logged it as 8.15 miles [counting the walk to and from the parking lot.] IT WAS AWESOME and I hope to do it again this weekend!

When I started this journey, my dietitian told me to get 3 hours of exercise in a week, and I rarely got them in, but I lost weight anyway. Now, I enjoy exercising so much, I get in as much as I can. And as I said, this is the schedule I TRY to keep. I can't always keep up with it... :ohwell:
  • wordsandmusic51
    Options
    It always amazes me how much I hurt from just doing housework, lol. At my folks for a little while and trying my best to help out so my Mom can relax. She was diagnosed with colon cancer in Nov., her second bout with cancer. I am so happy right now though because she is on chemo pills this time. She doesn't have to go to the hospital for treatments, and so far hasn't lost hair and doesn't have the nausea like before. But, she is always exhausted. They have a huge house, 10 rooms plus cellar and shop and two full bathrooms. My Dad is healthy for the most part and doing great looking after anything she might need now...although she really is doing well and can be up and about. However, he is no housekeeper, lol. So I have had Mom give me lists of all the little things that are making her nuts because she can't get to them, and there is plenty here to keep me moving! Cleaned a lot of baseboards and scrubbed walls and windows, washed curtains the like. Lots of arm exercise, maybe I can minimize my flabby bat wings some while I am here! ;)
  • CandiesAndSweets
    CandiesAndSweets Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I workout with kettlebells and I absolutely love it! On top of that I do Callanetics (a lot like Pilates but it uses your own body weight), Power Yoga & Just Dance 2014. New workout video by Beachbody Piyo has gotten my interest. But it doesn't come out until June. I own Turbo Jam from Beachbody already but it seems to be too high impact for me because I end up with lower back pain the next day after I workout.
  • lindabeth333
    lindabeth333 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I used to love to swim but I have a rotator cuff injury and no pool so I have been walking. Just getting back into it since I still have a badly broken toe that I am avoiding having surgery on . I have been using my treadmill and i sometimes walk the high school track to avoid the cars - I also have a great yoga tape - Peggy Cappy - "Yoga for the Rest of Us" - it is perfect for my beginner level. I try to do that 2 times a week. I am thinking about taking a Tai Chi class with my neighbor - it sounds interesting!
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I try to walk walk and walk. We belong to a gym and we go once a week together. 20 minutes of cardio then another 20 minutes (at least) on the strength machines. I try to get to the gym more often but with working full time, helping with the grandbabies and organizing three major remodels in our home getting there once a week is sometimes the best I can do. Worst part of the whole story is I LOVE going there. Retirement is less than two years away and I plan to get there as much as possible during retirement. I have a few physical problems, nothing major but I do have to watch carefully what I actually do. I would dearly love to get back swimming more often (I am a water baby). Our local pool has Aquatic Zumba, I can't do landbased Zumba but this sounds like so much fun. Trouble is they only have two classes, one while I am at work and the other while hubby and I are at the gym on sunday mornings.

Another exercise I have seen advertised and wish I could do is Buff Yoga - I love yoga but can't do it since I had the nerve removed from my left foot -- no feeling at all in bare feet. Buff Yoga is the beautiful yoga poses done with light weights -- would be glorious.
    Joanne
  • mjharman
    Options
    Aqua Zumba is LOADS of FUN! I hope you get to try it soon!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I tried a variety of things, but I am Hooked on home workout DVD's. Back in the day I use to do Richard Simmons. Ironic that I Loved watching the end with the before and after, and now I enjoy helping and watching people make that change!

I just finished the 21 Day Fix, really helped with my eating and seeing portion controls. Deciding if Body Pump or P90X3 is next.

FYI - Body Pump is available for home with an unbelievable price this month if anyone is interested.

Tai Cheng is Great for working on balance. Shoot me a message if anyone has quesitons, I'd love to help.

Looking forward to seeing all these transformations!
    Thanks for the invite
    Nancy
  • mjharman
    Options
    Sue, housework makes me ache, too! I guess its all the twisting and turning, fitting into tight spaces, reaching and lifting...I don't know. Folding laundry really bothers my back sometimes...like right around the shoulder blades.

I love the musche aches I get from a good workout - I hurt where I'm supposed to hurt and I expect that. I know that I am burning more calories as my body heals the muscle tears that I have purposely put there.

Body aches from cleaning...not so much! LOL! :wink:
  • Cynner2007
    Cynner2007 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I belong to our local YMCA . I try to go 6 to 7 days a week. 40 to 50 mins of cardio everyday, 15 minutes of strength training on the machines. I took the advice of people here and have just started to 'lift heavy'. I love working out..but have noticed increase in my appetite..
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Cynner - Be sure to get some form of Protein in, preferably within an hour of that AM workout. It will help your body start to recover AND help with that hunger. Its trying to make those changes that you're working so hard for, so give it a little help.