approved and scared

Options
2mouse63
2mouse63 Posts: 66 Member
I am approved and got my surgery date of April 9th. Now the time is so close I am getting scared. I am second guessing myself was this the right thing to do? Part of me is yes you know it is but the other is saying you are going to fail at this too. Please help. Am I making the right choice.

Replies

• Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Things happened with your band that were beyond your control, so you cannot put all of that "failure" on yourself. When you made the choice to have the band, you were in that mindset that you were ready to take control of your health, I am pretty sure that is how you feel now, too. Everyone has in the back of their mind before surgery, "what if this doesn't work?" Because it is a lot of preparation and planning before, during and especially after surgery. You don't want to go through all that just to fail. Only you know if it is the right choice for you. For me, I am extremely glad I did it. But I also know my success or failure is up to me and the choices I make. I can tell you that following your doctors, nutritionists instructions very closely will help you be successful. Good luck to you!
  • woodjwl
    woodjwl Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I don't know your history although it sounds like you might be a band to sleeve revision? I'll admit I had lots of thoughts in my mind to try and deter me from having the procedure. But then I thought to myself, what if I don't have it? I've already been there and failed so many times before, so I knew this wasn't a chance I would pass up. Now here I am closing in on 4 months post op after a great surgery and a very good recovery with no issues at all. You totally got this! I agree with Shannie312, follow your doctors and nuts advice (unless your nut is crazy like mine is wanting me to eat 1600 calories a day in the stage I'm at post op), and you'll do great!
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    thank you so much! this is what I needed. A kick in the butt! Yes your are right I got this. That is why I started this journey to make myself better for my health and my kids. Yes woodjwl, I am going from the band that failed me to a sleeve. I heard that the sleeve is a great tool more than the band.

My story, four years ago and at my highest weight ever of 287 I had the band placed. I did very well loosing about 75 lbs. Lost all medical problems, was doing so well. Then something happened my band slipped, had it unfilled for a while and re-gain about 25 back. My first slipped fix so I thought, started to re-fill it back. and this past year was vomiting just about every day, reflux started to happen and more weight. Almost back to my surgery weight before my band was placed. I am sitting at 233 now. I wanted to see what is going on so I went back to my doctor again, Under x-ray found out two problems, one the band slipped again and my port is upside down so can't release the tension for the slip. I decided after more research if I am going to have surgery this band was coming out and something else is going in. So after talking to my doctor we decided on the sleeve. Now I have approved and done some of the hoops for insurance and surgery is set for April 9th. Thank you for your support. I need it.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Courage isn't the absece of fear it's taking action by controlling fear. The absence of fear is insanity. You took all the right steps, did the research and prepared. Now be ready to move forward.
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    Yes you are so right.....Let's move forward.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your surgery! So sorry you have struggled with the band, but I believe you will love the sleeve. Had mine 2.5 years agao and haven't regretted it once.
  • 2mouse63
    Options
    Thank you for the support.

Will I got my time now and it is like I might be the last one on the list. It is at 3:30 pm and I need to be there at 1:00. Hope I can hold out with no food or water. That is a long time. I just bet it will be the longest day ever.
  • suzee279
    suzee279 Posts: 58
    Options
    This is the best way for you to move forward. don not let the nerves make you second guess the decision. You have made an educated choice and it will be the very best thing for you.

You will do great!!

Suz
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I think most have second thoughts or start getting cold feet the closer they get to their surgery date. However, remember what it has taken you to get this far and what you achieve by having this surgery. People in this group have been a fountain of both information, inspiration and motivation to me. I don't know what I would have done without their support.

Wishing you the very best. I have also found that putting my meal information on this site each day helps keep me accountable both to myself and this lifetime change.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Fear is natural in a situation like this. I was terrified, but sucked it up and got sleeved. I am grateful everyday for doing it. My life is so much better even at 5 months out and still a long way to go!