just diagnosed with pcos, metformin and bc pills?

Options
crystalmoore83
crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
so I have just been diagnosed with pcos even though I suspect I have had it for years, my gyn recommended metformin and yaz, I am meeting with my primary care doctor next week and will be starting the medication then as well. I am wondering if any of you have tried similar treatments and if so were they effective? I am very new to all of this and would be grateful for any advice/tips...thank you

Replies

• jazlaw
    jazlaw Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've heard lots of great things assisting PCOS sufferers with weight loss (along with diet & exercise). I only started it this week... so I can't really add to that part.

I have done BC off/on for years (my personal fave is nuvaring b/c I can never remember to take the pill on time, or as my GYNO says... I'm a diva!). It always works for regulating my cycle, but I don't think it assists weight loss in any way.
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Hello darlin' ~ you've come to the right place for support! I take birth control, metformin, levothyroxine (for my thyroid), and other supplements for my PCOS. I could not lose even an ounce, in fact I gained consistently, before taking metformin & BC to regulate my cycles. I just started a new supplement today, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Metformin should help quite a bit with the IR that accompanies PCOS in many instances. You might want to look into a low carb, higher protein, or Low GI diet (I mix all three & will be doing so for the next month to see if there's any results).

I just went through a discouraged spell but the ladies in this group got me through it. Don't give up, weight loss is really difficult, but you can do it.

:flowerforyou:
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Metformin should help quite a bit with the IR that accompanies PCOS in many instances. You might want to look into a low carb, higher FAT, or Low GI diet (I mix all three & will be doing so for the next month to see if there's any results).

ok fixed that for you.

Welcome crystal. You'll find great info here so take the time to read thru the forums to get some good ideas for what might work for you. Some of the general recommendations are lower carb, higher fats especially if your insulin resistant. The metformin helps with IR but low carb is fairly essential if you have IR. BC is up to the individual, but many don't take it if they don't have to for preventing pregnancy as with PCOS you have very high levels of estrogen, progesterone and androgen in your body and to add BC on top of it can be counter productive to weightloss and getting your PCOS under control, but again its up to the individual. As you get your IR under control with diet and metformin and you lose some weight, most people's cycles have evened out and become regular.

Cardio everyday but a good weight lifting routine help with weightloss. We aren't 'normal' so just diet alone rarely work for PCOSers and most of us have to move our bodies everyday to see any weightloss. As we discussed in a previous thread, many of us cant do 'cheat' days where we eat more carbs than is recommended or we gain back any weight we've lost.

PCOS sucks! but you can control it and lose weight. Just hang in there, read thru the forums and lean on all these wonderful ladies for support. We're all in this together and we'll all get thru it together. Slow and steady, remember this isn't a diet but a lifestyle change.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I take birthcontrol and extended release metformin (which I recommend the extended release) unless u want constant upset stomach in the beginning anyway I had lost a lot of weight back in 2011 and had my pcos undercontrol so it can be done I slipped back into some old habits and am starting over good luck cyster
  • xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    ok fixed that for you.

I meant what I said, but a higher fat diet is also not a bad thing. Higher protein, lower carb, & Low GI is what worked for me, which was suggested by my RD.

Thanks for lookin' out, though! ^__^
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    ok fixed that for you.

I meant what I said, but a higher fat diet is also not a bad thing. Higher protein, lower carb, & Low GI is what worked for me, which was suggested by my RD.

Thanks for lookin' out, though! ^__^

With the 'fat is bad' craze of the last few decades, most people's idea of a low carb diet IS a higher protein diet. With insulin resistance this can be very problematic. Protein especially in higher amount is insulinogenic and so eating a 'high protein diet' isn't recommended for pcos sufferers who have insulin resistance. Eat about .8-1g per pound of lean body weight adjusted for lifestyle and add fats to offset your carbs instead of high protein. While the advice from your RD might work for your specific case its not a sound strategy for most PCOS/IR sufferers. Fat also helps with keeping a person satiated in a way protein can not. In a very simplistic statement, fat and carbs are energy sources while protein is a building block so a higher protein diet will often make people crave carbs and/or fat because their body needs energy. That's why for most people a low carb/high protein diet fails and they go back to eating what they ate before.

I'm glad you and your RD were able to find something that works for you. I admire your willpower to be able to find satiety on a high protein diet. But I don't want others to feel that is the normal way things work with PCOS and IR because for most people its not sustainable. The 'normal' and what works for MOST PCOS/IR people, but admittedly not all, is a lower carb and higher fat diet. I'm not knocking your plan at all, so please don't take it that way. I'm happy to hear people are finding success with PCOS and finding what works for you is a large part of the battle. But there is a HUGE amount of 'fat is bad' and if you do low carb you have to do high protein because fat is bad information out there that just isn't accurate based on the latest research and data available. Trying to get people to see the need for fats and the way they work in your body, especially with low carbs is an uphill battle after the years of fats being bad and I am just trying to get the current information out there for others who have to deal with PCOS and/or IR.
  • crystalmoore83
    crystalmoore83 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    tank you all for the responses...I am so happy I found this group :flowerforyou:
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    The bcp helped with my symptoms, however it was also giving me TERRIBLE migraines. I didn't realize that until I went off of it to get pregnant. However, I believe that there is also another advantage to the pill well two really. Your body is not trying to ovulate so you do not get the cysts. The cysts cause scar tissue to form on the ovaries making them harder and larger. This makes it more difficult to ovulate when your body is ready. So less cysts, more chance of ovulating regularly in the future. The second thing is that with the pill you will shed your uterine lining every month. Women with PCOS are at an increased risk of endometrial cancer due to the lining building up in the uterus if they do not get periods. This lining can potentially become cancerous so shedding it regularly is a good thing.
    As for Metformin, I was only able to get pregnant the second time while taking it. I did not have a cycle without it. I am back on it now (my second child was born in January). It helps with my hair loss and I think somewhat with weight loss. Also, since I no longer on BCP, it keeps my cycle going and though I don't plan on getting pregnant again, I know that I am shedding that lining.
  • pennyp00
    pennyp00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I suspect I had PCOS since I was 18 and I am now 44. I got diagnosed at 30 when I was trying to get pregnant. I was put on bcp for years to regulate my period but they started making me ill. When I tried to get pregnant and was diagnosed with PCOS the doc put me on metformin and I lost 30 lbs right away without even trying but I think it was just the yucky feeling that was always in my stomach. It also helped me to have very regular periods. I also got pregnant within 3 months and didn't have any problems getting pregnant again. I just started a lower carb option this week. it's not like 50 carbs or less kind of thing but I seem to be having some initial success. I am eating lean meats, lots of veggies, fruits kind of early in the day or near a workout. None of it is easy with PCOS but losing weight and living healthy can be done. I tell myself one day at a time sometimes one minute at a time. Good luck
  • alengarcia89
    Options
    Crystalmoore83, I'm interested to see your results. I was just diagnosed yesterday and put on both metformin and birth control as well. Were you able to lose weight on both? If so, how much, and how long did it take you?
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for about 4 years. When I first started, I was diagnosed with PCOS and immediately put on BC and spironolactone. I started watching what I ate and walking and lost 50pounds pretty easily. I was a single mom and had a lot of motivation. I met my now husband a year later and have put on about 60lbs from the 50 I lost. Still here as we are TTC and just started and I fear that my weight gain will prevent us from getting pregnant. I got pregnant very easily with my first son in 2007 but was much skinnier then.

Low carb is the only way to go for me. I love KETO recipes, although I feel the diet is took strict. I get sick and get a horrible rash on my neck when I overdo carbs and sugars. My problem is just willpower!