GPS Location trackers (bread crumbs)

Options
TheBrolympus
TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
Does anyone know of any android apps that will track your location and send regular messages (text or email) to another phone/email?

I periodically run really early or really late and my wife worries, especially on my long runs. It would also be nice if she could locate me quickly in case I needed assistance.

RoadID has a nice app that does this but alas only supports iPhone.
http://www.roadid.com/ecrumbs

Any options for android phones?

Replies

• _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Oh wow, I had no idea it even existed! Too bad I don't run with my phone (I know it's not safe...)...

I hope you find something similar for android!
  • TheBrolympus
    Options
    I have RoadID bracelets that I wear when I ride or run alone. That way if need be, my wife or brother can be contacted but I would like something that would be more timely. :)

I found several apps that are like an "Alert" button. But those require be to push or activate something on my phone and that won't really work because I keep my phone tucked into a pocket on my water bottle.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    RunKeeper Elite does this. "Broadcast your run in real time to facebook, twitter, or through runkeeper.com and let friends & family cheer you on from anywhere in the world!" I just use the free version, so I can't say how well it works.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Garmin Fit offers a subscription service to do something like this as well. It gives you a URL than people can access to see where you are.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ah, sorry - I don't know about android. I have "Find my friends" on the iPhone. It doesn't broadcast to my husband's phone, but if he checks in, it finds me.

We use this all the time to figure out how long it will take one of us to get home from someplace. It's great for knowing when to put on dinner.

<< Edited to add - Find my friends is available for android!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Too bad it isn't made for android because I use road id app on my iphone. maybe they will have it soon?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    How in the world did we ever manage before cell phones?
  • sarahz5
    sarahz5 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Glympse. :) We use it for Ragnar relays. Works like a charm!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I use Runtastic Pro for this very reason. Has a live feed tracker you can watch online.
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The Garmin 220/620 will sync to your phone via bluetooth and update your position to a web app. My wife is very interested in my upgrading to that set-up.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The new Garmins have that feature, but you have to run with your phone. In the winter that's cool and all, but not many places I'm gonna stick it when it gets hot out.

My future wife will just have to make a list of stuff she wants to buy with the life insurance and crumple it up disappointingly each time I arrive safely at home :)
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    There is a new watch coming out for women called Bia that can send an SOS text to the phone of your choice with your GPS location. Eliminates the need to run with your phone.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I have runtastic pro. I have to experiment with this live feed tracker. Never gave this feature that much thought.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    There is a new watch coming out for women called Bia that can send an SOS text to the phone of your choice with your GPS location. Eliminates the need to run with your phone.

Wow, I am very interested in that! I currently have an old-generation Soleus 1.0, which I love because it does next to nothing..... but this is so very attractive to me. I run trails and I run alone at night. Including trails.
  • TheBrolympus
    Options
    I always run with a phone. Just paranoid and my job requires me to be reachable at all times.

The app is also for my wife, she worries about running outside in the mornings or evenings. I want her to be able to get her runs in too and this will make her feel better about it.

I will check out the Garmin app, I already have it loaded on my phone.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Here is the link for the Bia....
    http://www.bia-sport.com/
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Not sure if there is Yodel for android, but I have used the iPhone version. Good for more urbanized environments, not so good for really remote areas like the middle of the desert with nearest town 50 miles away ;-)