A different kind of deadlift question

Options
rlw911
rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
How do you load the plates on the bar?

When I do warm-ups, I load it on the rack, then lift it off. Working weight, I fight with loading the plates with the bar on the floor, leaving a smaller weight on it and then replacing each one with a larger weight. Does that make sense? Is there an easier way?

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    A deadlift jack duh ;)

But if one of those isn't available...

I put 45lb bumpers on the end, and then normal 45s slide on pretty well.

If bumper plates aren't available I put the first set of 45s on then roll them onto the edge of a 5lb plate to add more.

If you're able to give a specific set up with type of plates and their weight I can try to think of something :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I have this same problem :frown: My work weight is 225-235, so adding that second 45 on each end is a pain in the booty. I work up a sweat just getting them on and am worn out before I even attempt my work set :grumble: One day, I did ask one of the guys to take it off the rack for me. It was 235 lbs. He looked at it and said "I'll try!" lol
  • luce3003
    luce3003 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lol I laughed when I saw this question as I had an issue UNLOADING plates this week - I think the end of the bar was slightly damaged so I just about managed to get the plate on, did my workout, but then could I get it off!!?? No chance!

Luckily I was in a quiet side room at the gym so I didn't look like a totally helpless girly girl but i was banging it, twisting it, kicking it and even upended the whole thing, stood on the plate and yanked the bar to no avail!

Had to ask a one of the guys to come over and give me a hand but at least he struggled as well lol!!

Had a pretty good cardio workout trying to get that plate off tho hahaha!! xxx
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I made my own Deadlift Jack. Problem solved! :bigsmile: http://www.endofthreefitness.com/how-to-build-a-mini-deadlift-jack/

15315249_965.jpg

Cost me less than $30 to make. You can also buy one for about twice that from Rogue or Again Faster
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Leadfoot! That is awesome! :love: I'm going to make me one this weekend, I think. My next deadlift day is Monday.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You could also get a dead wedge: https://www.lift.net/store/strength-accessories/66-dead-wedge.html

Heard from these from a fitness youtube channel I follow. asiclaly does what a 5lbs plate would, but just a little more user friendly and a bit cheaper and easier to carry around than an actual jack.

So far I put on 2 45s while on the rack then load up the rest while the bar stays on the ground (and lift it back up when I deload it back to 135).. The bumper plates at my gym are also bigger than metal plates, so once I get to 225 i'll just use regular plates I guess? Or I'll load like 185 with 25s on the rack and work with that. We'll see when I get there? xD
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It is kind of a PITA but I guess I've figured out a method that works for me. I straddle the bar inside the weights to put them on, and the opposite when I take them off. So, I "pull" them with my hands at about a 4 & 8 position (like on a clock, ha).

I use regular metal plates after I get a bumper plate on the bar to make it easier.

I wonder if I'd get weird looks bringing a jack to the gym!

That was probably way more detail than anyone cares about!

:laugh:

eta: actually the 2 squat racks have the supports at the bottom (like if you take the safety bars off) that the bar *could* be supported on even doing the deadlifts - it's at a good height to keep the plates just barely off of the ground. But it is LOUD when the bar comes down. I did that a few times and put towels there to buffer the noise but it was more of a PITA than just loading from the ground. But that is another option. I've noticed some people don't care if they make a ton of noise. I'm not one of those people. I'd prefer to not have anyone look over at me!
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I use a power rack and can lower the supports to about knee height or just under and load them on that. Then the problem is getting the bar off and onto the ground! I've realized I need to only use the supports for the 45s now and then load the rest of the weight with everything on the ground. (I'm going to pretend getting it off the rack and onto the ground is why I failed 165lbs last time)
  • wendypow
    wendypow Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use a power rack and can lower the supports to about knee height or just under and load them on that. Then the problem is getting the bar off and onto the ground! I've realized I need to only use the supports for the 45s now and then load the rest of the weight with everything on the ground. (I'm going to pretend getting it off the rack and onto the ground is why I failed 165lbs last time)

That's definitely it!! ha
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It is kind of a PITA but I guess I've figured out a method that works for me. I straddle the bar inside the weights to put them on, and the opposite when I take them off. So, I "pull" them with my hands at about a 4 & 8 position (like on a clock, ha).

I use regular metal plates after I get a bumper plate on the bar to make it easier.

I wonder if I'd get weird looks bringing a jack to the gym!

That was probably way more detail than anyone cares about!

:laugh:

eta: actually the 2 squat racks have the supports at the bottom (like if you take the safety bars off) that the bar *could* be supported on even doing the deadlifts - it's at a good height to keep the plates just barely off of the ground. But it is LOUD when the bar comes down. I did that a few times and put towels there to buffer the noise but it was more of a PITA than just loading from the ground. But that is another option. I've noticed some people don't care if they make a ton of noise. I'm not one of those people. I'd prefer to not have anyone look over at me!

The straddling the plates thing - that's pretty much what I do. One of our squat racks has hooks like you mentioned, but it's pretty much knee height on me. The Power Rack hooks are adjustable and I can get them lower, so that's what I use to load the plates before I lower it to the ground. I'm only lifting 145-155 now, so I load the 35's to get to 115, and lower it to the ground for warm ups. Then, I remove one 35, put on a 45 and then do the same process on the other end. My gym doesn't have bumper plates, but I dang sure wish they did!

I've seen the jacks before, but I think I'd feel weird taking one to the gym. I kinda consider jacking with the plates as part of my workout, but sometimes I think my DL would be a bit easier if I didn't use so much energy just loading the bar! :laugh:
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Ahh, so that's what that weird looking thing is at the gym. Lol. I am glad I know. I'm still on pretty light weights so I can move the bar up to a rack to get the weights up.
  • griffithm1
    griffithm1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    A JACK! You ladies are geniuses! Thanks!
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    so glad my gym has deadlift jacks :bigsmile: