true farm fresh eggs, no suffering

Options

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    For me, there are three main questions:

1) How were the chickens acquired? If they were purchased from a traditional farm, or some other outlet that would profit off of the deaths of hens (either for meat or destruction of male chicks), this would be a huge red flag.

2) What happens to the hens when they stop laying eggs? Are they allowed to peacefully live out the rest of their days despite not producing eggs, or are they eaten or sold to someone for meat?

3) Is anyone profiting off of these eggs? Are the reproductive cycles of the hens being used as a commodity?

If the hens were adopted from a sanctuary/rescue, were allowed to "retire" comfortably and live out their natural lives after ceasing to produce eggs, and no one was profiting off of sale of the eggs, I would probably eat them (assuming the hens had gotten first pick and eaten their fill of eggs, as chickens tend to do).

However, I would no longer refer to myself as a "Vegan" - not to conform to any sort of societal label, but because it is confusing to non-vegans. It would be upsetting to both parties if a traditional vegan were prepared an egg dish because that person has a "vegan" friend that eats eggs. It's all for consistency, not conforming.

Keep in mind though that every step you make toward plant-based, ethical choices is a great one! Do what you can to reduce suffering for the greatest number.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to play Devil's advocate, but aside from the discussion of how the chickens are living, is anyone just simply grossed out with the fact of consuming something that came out of a living creature's body? Eww.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options

It's not really equivalent...chickens don't slough their uterine lining when they release the egg.

But the shell is formed by a gland as the unfertilized egg travels through the reproductive tract. And it's still disgusting. Just think about it.
  • tlell
    tlell Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For me, there are three main questions:

1) How were the chickens acquired? If they were purchased from a traditional farm, or some other outlet that would profit off of the deaths of hens (either for meat or destruction of male chicks), this would be a huge red flag.

2) What happens to the hens when they stop laying eggs? Are they allowed to peacefully live out the rest of their days despite not producing eggs, or are they eaten or sold to someone for meat?

3) Is anyone profiting off of these eggs? Are the reproductive cycles of the hens being used as a commodity?

If the hens were adopted from a sanctuary/rescue, were allowed to "retire" comfortably and live out their natural lives after ceasing to produce eggs, and no one was profiting off of sale of the eggs, I would probably eat them (assuming the hens had gotten first pick and eaten their fill of eggs, as chickens tend to do).

However, I would no longer refer to myself as a "Vegan" - not to conform to any sort of societal label, but because it is confusing to non-vegans. It would be upsetting to both parties if a traditional vegan were prepared an egg dish because that person has a "vegan" friend that eats eggs. It's all for consistency, not conforming.

Keep in mind though that every step you make toward plant-based, ethical choices is a great one! Do what you can to reduce suffering for the greatest number.

Well said. And truthfully, it is very rare to find an egg that fits into all of this, especially point 2. Chickens live on average until they are 10 years old (sometimes even 15!) but they drastically slow/stop their egg production around 3 years... thus most hobby farms that consume chicken eggs will not let their chickens live out their full life and butcher them early.

Thank you Kenazwa for asking this original question honestly. You will find among the vegan community many people who have different rationals for their choices and views but most of us are very open to educating and learning so I welcome you to stay in this group and learn more about veganism!

And to the notes about "using" animals. This depends on the situation. For example, almost all animal liberation groups support companion animals (i.e. pets of any type) as long as they don't come from unethical sources like puppy mills that exploit the mothers and are treated with the respect that human and non-human animals deserve. I have met some people campaigning for work horses that carry carriages around town for tourists to end because the horses are abused and treated poorly and work in unsafe conditions. Horses that are companions that you ride and treat well and respect are okay in my books!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I do think about it, but I'm just not grossed out by eggs coming from hens' bodies. I am, however, grossed out by slaughterhouses. Vegetarian is still going well, now onward to vegan! It's time to plan next week's grocery buy.
  • VeganMotoGirl
    VeganMotoGirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was considering leaving this group due to not really fitting the philosophy. But I do want a place to talk about my choices and progression. I'm having no problem with the vegetarian diet, but I'm pushing toward the completely plant-based diet as much as old habits will let me.
    There is no reason to leave the Team Vegan if you are interested in eventually moving that direction. Open discussion with people that follow a traditional vegan diet will help answer your questions and raise healthy debate, like this topic. =) Many people I have talked to clarify their egg consumption with "but they are Pasture Raised, Free Range, Organic Eggs". But I doubt that many people have stopped to think about the ethics of even free range or organic production egg farming. I was one of these people for a long time. My husband still eats meat, eggs and dairy and I respect his choice as he does mine to be vegan.

The fact that you are seeking out more information and the opinion of others shows that you are probably more ready than you think to move to a vegan diet than you realize. Old habits are hard to break, yes. Cheese was my weakness in the beginning of my journey. But after making the plunge to cut animal products out fully it did not take long before even my cravings for dairy were long gone. And in time you wont miss the eggs at all, if that is the direction you choose to go.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    mteague277, there were people who ate eggs where I used to live and we tossed them in the compost. Only place for eggs is the compost :)

Actually, if you drop the eggs on the ground an let them break all the chickens go crazy and eat everything including the shell. That's natural for them. That what they do if the eggs they lay break naturally or start to go bad.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    You haven't addressed the health issue. Eggs are one of the worst food choices out there! You seem to have heard and understand the health implications of animal products; eggs are just about the worst! Cheese being the worst, then eggs. Lean meat, especially fish, is not nearly as unhealthy as eggs are.
    I assume you don't want diabetes and heart disease, do you?
  • junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would not even consider it at this point unless for some reason I NEEDED to. Eggs and other animal products gross me out.

My love has other health concerns as well as celiac disease which makes it hard for him to be vegan as he gets deficient in nutrients and protein very easily so I've actually brought up the idea of eating TRUE farm fresh eggs once a month for him to supplement his vegan nutrients and protein. The stipulation I guess would be that it was a rescued hen, rather than one bred for human consumption, and they were just the eggs naturally produced by the hen each month, unfertilized and nothing used to make her create more.

Even then he refused lol. Personally I'd be willing to give it a shot for my kids or loved ones or when I was pregnant and farm fresh eggs would be the ONLY exception.
  • GoneApostate
    GoneApostate Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am grateful for friends that have similar homes for chickens. I'm divorced and I have my kids only half time, the other half they spend with their mom who isn't vegan/vegetarian or even really health-attentive. My kids have a taste for flesh and cheese and eggs and they have a hard time with much of the food I have for them. The flavor experience for someone that it a regular carnivore is hard to anticipate for a long-term vegan/vegetarian. I try to be pretty serious about minimizing the suffering of others and am mostly vegan but those ethical eggs are something my kids and I can enjoy together. So nice.
  • janellevaught
    janellevaught Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I was considering leaving this group due to not really fitting the philosophy. But I do want a place to talk about my choices and progression. I'm having no problem with the vegetarian diet, but I'm pushing toward the completely plant-based diet as much as old habits will let me.

I hope you stick with the group. Being vegan and vegetarian is a continual learning process and it good to bounce ideas off of others who are going in and/or already in this lifestyle. If anyone says anything too harsh, don't take it personally and don't let that detour you from how far you have already come.

I was vegetarian for an entire year before I was able to fully transition to vegan.

Also, I am not perfect in the vegan lifestyle. For example: I still feed my dogs food with meat in it. I feel guilty for doing it, but at their age and with their particulars (i.e. one of them needs to be on a specific weight loss food with glucosamine and chondroitin, the other has a sensitive stomach) it is not as easy to switch them to a vegan dog food. If I would have had them from a young/puppy age, I could have started them off right, but I adopted my furry babies in their senior years.
  • janellevaught
    Options
    mteague277, there were people who ate eggs where I used to live and we tossed them in the compost. Only place for eggs is the compost :)

Actually, if you drop the eggs on the ground an let them break all the chickens go crazy and eat everything including the shell. That's natural for them. That what they do if the eggs they lay break naturally or start to go bad.

There is a farm animal sanctuary close to where I live. They have rescued hens and they do "egg parties" (i.e., dropping them on the ground and letting the hens eat them) when an egg gets laid.
  • janellevaught
    Options
    I do think about it, but I'm just not grossed out by eggs coming from hens' bodies. I am, however, grossed out by slaughterhouses. Vegetarian is still going well, now onward to vegan! It's time to plan next week's grocery buy.

Good luck with your quest towards veganism.
  • jeremymetcalf10
    Options
    I'm not trying to poke the bear, but wouldn't objectively answering her question be a better choice than subjectively scolding her for how YOU FEEEL? She didn't ask if it's gross.

I say go for it. Do what you are comfortable with. Would you go EWWWWW at an addict for using dirty needles to help them become sober? NO you give them clean needles! Peace, :-)
  • quagga2007
    quagga2007 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    At Farm Sanctuary in Orland, CA, the caregivers collect the hens' eggs and boil them, then add these back into the chicken's feed. This is because laying hens have been bred to produce so many eggs that they can easily develop osteoporosis. So this way, they can get back some of the calcium they lose in making the egg shell, and the other nutrients (fat and protein) that they lose in making the egg.

We have bred chickens, cows, pigs, and other domestic species to produce so much egg, milk, meat, etc., that they are doomed to a life of suffering from chronic illnesses such as osteoporosis, arthritis, and various cancers. The production from these bred animals is easily three times that of their wild or even ancestral domestic counterparts. And for laying hens, there is NO way to get around the issue of culling the male chicks at one, two, or three days old at the hatchery.

This has been an interesting discussion. Thank you all for your respectful contributions.
  • col3k3
    col3k3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I too had this question as I have my own pet chickens (three) who roam free all day and are safe in their coop at night. I contacted PETA about this, because I am trying to go vegan, but it seems silly to waste fresh nutritious eggs that my hens are laying anyway. They responded that we should not be using animal products, but if they are well taken care of and are not from hatcheries (because hatcheries kill the males and do not support the best interests of the animals), it is ok. Well, my hens are already grown so I cannot do anything about where they came from but for the future, I will rescue them. They are the biggest most spoiled hens ever!!! Hope this helps.
  • mrsautumnf
    mrsautumnf Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Nice to see all the responses from this. I have been vegan for about a year, and haven't eaten any eggs in that time, I replace the scrambled eggs I used to eat all the time with scrambled tofu which is just as good- but there really isn't any good substitute for a fried egg, and it's a craving I still get every so often. I have been considering eating one every once in a while from a friend who keeps pet chickens (purely for the joy of doing so) and i'm glad to see people bringing up good questions I wouldn't have thought to ask her. Thanks to everyone who contributed those points, it was very helpful to me as well as the OP i'm sure!
  • lsmsrbls
    lsmsrbls Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I guess a good percentage of them are probably fertilized, never thought about that really. I think there are only certain hens that she allows to brood, all other eggs she gathers on a daily basis so they don't get to the embryo stage of development.

I'm still transitioning. Vegetarian is easier for me to achieve than full vegan, but I think my doctor is right about the potential health benefits for me so that's what I'm going for.

If you doctor thinks that there are health benefits to being vegan (something I wholeheartedly agree with), then I would say that is a compelling reason not to eat the eggs.
  • Munn0025
    Munn0025 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    "Because eggs are chickens' periods: http://www.peta2.com/blog/are_eggs_chicken_periods_a_nurse_gives_the_lowdown/

31242538"
    LOL!!! I love this response!!!
    i always try to be gentle and say,... eggs are still animal products, and they are still full of cholesterol, etc... but you are absolutely right!!! LMFAO! :)
  • Munn0025
    Munn0025 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    For me, being vegan, plant based, ethical and conscious makes me feel really good! in fact, its something i'm very proud of in life. I dont want to contribute to ANY suffering or exploitation of animals or people for that matter...

I was a vegetarian for a long time, and got by with cheese and dairy on everything... the problem for me, and what eventually brought me to the vegan lifestyle was becoming aware of not only how cruel the practices are in food production, but also that to top it off, the food is not healthy for humans. Eggs, meat and especially dairy are extremely addictive foods. , there is caso-morphine, which has a craving effect because the actual design of the milk is to bring a baby cow to its mother, aid in their bonding and exponentially increase its weight in a short period of time. Just like human breast milk.

I have to deal with rude family members who dont understand that NO, I don't want to just TASTE their food laced with eggs, meat or dairy. I dont care if its a teaspoon of eggs, milk, cheese or meat. I dont support it, I dont want it.. and as soon as you get some of that crap back in your diet you WILL have food cravings. It took my body 3 weeks to adjust to no animal products.. and I'm not going back.

The power is in your mind and your thinking.. if you begin trying to rationalize eating animal products, eventually you will create a reason to just give in to your cravings and eat it.

For me, I trained myself to NOT use euphemisms.. I dont say meat or eggs, I say ANIMAL PRODUCTS.

Whatever you choose in your life is about you, and YOUR CHOICES... make sure you are not rationalizing things you really dont support. Good luck on your journey!!! -Audrie