Pre-op diet

Options
I start my pre-op diet tomorrow :-) 2 weeks until surgery

Replies

• Shannie312
    Shannie312 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If you are like me, the first few days will be ok. Around day 3-4 I got a little cranky :) and after that, I was ok again. I knew it wasn't very long until surgery, the "end" was in sight and I could do this. It was good practice for how I would be eating after surgery. It paid off to follow the preop diet because my liver was nice and small and the doctors were able to do the surgery without problems, things went very smoothly. Two weeks seems like a long time now but you are making a change that will benefit you for the rest of your life and you can do this. Best of luck to you!
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I agree with Shannie312. The pre-op diet really did help to bring home the fact that I had to schedule and change my whole eating lifestyle habits. I had begun this a month or so before the pre-op so I would be better prepared and I was glad that I did. I had no trouble with nausea, hardly any cramping (unless I ate too much/too fast) and that doesn't happen more than once or twice to let you know you don't want to feel that again, and very little pain - more or of an ache and was just careful of stomach area.

I am oh so glad that after 4-5 years I finally made one of the best decisions of my life to undergo the Sleeve Surgery. I also have a great support system through Sparrow and on this site.
  • LisaFlag
    LisaFlag Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good luck! Just remember to stick to the pre-op diet to a T. The lady that did her surgery after me didnt and they couldnt do the surgery laproscopically, they had to do it by incision through her skin. It had a huge vertical scar on her.
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I had a different experience than the first poster. The first day was good, but the next few day were HARD! It wasn't until I started the second week where it got easier.

The pre-op diet is the hardest part of all this! Congrats on your upcoming surgery!
  • merobles827
    Options
    You can do it... Try and keep yourself busy!

My doctors program is a little bit different... What does the 2 week diet do? What can you eat and drink during your pre-op diet? Why do you need to do 2 weeks?

I had to lose 5% body fat to reduce my liver but I had 3 months to lose it. I think I have to do a liquid diet for a few days before and after, but I am not 100% sure I have my last meeting next Thurdays and I will find out all the details... can't wait 16 more days!
  • knitnpurlgurl
    Options

My doctors program is a little bit different... What does the 2 week diet do? What can you eat and drink during your pre-op diet? Why do you need to do 2 weeks?

I had to lose 5% body fat to reduce my liver but I had 3 months to lose it. I think I have to do a liquid diet for a few days before and after, but I am not 100% sure I have my last meeting next Thurdays and I will find out all the details... can't wait 16 more days!

**MY pre op diet is basically eating the same portions and frequency as you will after surgery. Eating about 1.5oz protein and 2 oz of fruit or veggie three times a day and for the two middle snacks is 8oz of low fat milk (I use almond milk) and protein powder. My total calories for the day are about 600 haha
  • knitnpurlgurl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful hints and suggestions..... I am trying to not even think about food LOL but I am sitting here typing this and thinking a burrito sounds pretty good about now haha! I will be strong! and crabby! LOL
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options

**MY pre op diet is basically eating the same portions and frequency as you will after surgery. Eating about 1.5oz protein and 2 oz of fruit or veggie three times a day and for the two middle snacks is 8oz of low fat milk (I use almond milk) and protein powder. My total calories for the day are about 600 haha
    This is really good cause your brain needs to realize that this is your new lifestyle. I only get 750-850 cals per day