Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

After baby stuff

mycrazy8splus1
mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
http://watchjackitakeitoff.com/10-guidelines-for-weight-loss-while-breast-feeding/

http://myjournalkohn.blogspot.com/2013/06/postpartum-exercising-how-to-work-out.html

these are a couple of good sites for weigh-loss ideas for after baby gets here.Recipe and exercise ideas. Good tips on things to remember.

Replies

• rhye
    rhye Posts: 104 Member
    Thanks! Especially for the first one. I had major milk supply issues with my first and never was able to EBF, but I really want to try again and I cannot afford anything that would jeopardize my milk supply since it's very borderline.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Rhye, I found I could lose weight while breastfeeding my first. I found my milk supply was only decreased when I wasn't getting in enough liquids. And I mean ALOT of liquids. Like drink as much as you can and then double or triple it. Water, milk, juice (fresh not that stuff that is just sugar), brothy soups, fruits and veggies with lots of water content. I did fairly light exercising, walking/jogging on my treadmill 3 times a week plus walks with the stroller.

I will put in the disclaimer though that after the first week or two I only lost about .5lbs per week.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    Rhye, I found I could lose weight while breastfeeding my first. I found my milk supply was only decreased when I wasn't getting in enough liquids. And I mean ALOT of liquids. Like drink as much as you can and then double or triple it. Water, milk, juice (fresh not that stuff that is just sugar), brothy soups, fruits and veggies with lots of water content. I did fairly light exercising, walking/jogging on my treadmill 3 times a week plus walks with the stroller.

I will put in the disclaimer though that after the first week or two I only lost about .5lbs per week.

.5 is a good loss for the first month or so. You don't want to focus on too rapid a weight loss at first (like the first 3 months even)
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Ya. The first 15lbs fell of without any particular effort, but I was ill after my daughter was born and that 'helped' with the weightloss. The next 15 took a lot of work.

But seriously LIQUIDs when you're BFing are key!

ETA: Ugh, I am not looking forward to the weightloss after this baby is born. I had 15-20lbs I wanted to lose before getting pregnant and lolligagged on, so after the birth I'll have 30. I'm just glad I've got 3 months off from work!
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    For me, with my son I lost 23 lbs of 23 lbs gained within 8 days and then I don't really think I lost much more until I started working out like 6 months pp. (I wasn't the most active person) I spent that time just sitting and nursing. Boy did that take HOURS. I had a permanent butt print on my couch. I was able to lose 10 more lbs by just exercising and eating a good awful amount of calories (I wasn't counting calories, but I do remember eating a LOT of Oreos).

My daughter I refused to step on the scale until 2 months postpartum. When I did I was down 22 lbs of the 46 I gained. I joined MFP like that week and started counting calories. I don't remember what I started with? Too low I'm sure. I read that you should give yourself 6-8 weeks of not watching what you eat (or at least not DIETING) to establish supply. In the next 5 months I was able to lose another 36 lbs to get to a healthy weight (I started out both pregnancies overweight).

I would definitely make sure you're eating enough calories and getting enough liquids. Easy snacks for on the couch are a must. A lactation consultant told me that she knew of one couple before the husband would leave for work he would make his wife lunch. TO make sure she would eat. I thought that was so sweet. I also had a glass of water with a screw on top and straw next to me at all times to make it easier to drink. Everytime I changed my son I would refill my water and go to the bathroom. Second time around my son was 18 months old when I had my daughter. So next to me was my water (with screw on top because he liked to knock glasses over) and a snack for him and me! I left easy things there like peanut butter crackers, easy, doesn't need refrigeration and he was addicted to them. This made it so I could feed her, snack myself, and meet his needs (a bit? I should have played with him more but those first couple of months are hard and he's fine now!). I think I'll stock up on bananas or something this time, easy to peel/eat and my almost 3 year old, and 16 month old will eat them. And Cheezits and other easy things. I'll be able to snack on these too. OMG, what the crap am I going to do? I'm not too worried about weight loss the first month or two, just survival. Then I'll worry about being a better mom and more active after I get through survival mode. After typing all this please just be kind to yourself. I know we're all on MFP to be healthier, but the first two weeks are always super hard for me, and then at 4-6 weeks things get easier and then 6-8 weeks I start feeling like myself. But I was never that active/healthy before kids, so maybe all you fitter people will have an easier time. I'll stop rambling now.
  • mycrazy8splus1
    For me, with my son I lost 23 lbs of 23 lbs gained within 8 days and then I don't really think I lost much more until I started working out like 6 months pp. (I wasn't the most active person) I spent that time just sitting and nursing. Boy did that take HOURS. I had a permanent butt print on my couch. I was able to lose 10 more lbs by just exercising and eating a good awful amount of calories (I wasn't counting calories, but I do remember eating a LOT of Oreos).

My daughter I refused to step on the scale until 2 months postpartum. When I did I was down 22 lbs of the 46 I gained. I joined MFP like that week and started counting calories. I don't remember what I started with? Too low I'm sure. I read that you should give yourself 6-8 weeks of not watching what you eat (or at least not DIETING) to establish supply. In the next 5 months I was able to lose another 36 lbs to get to a healthy weight (I started out both pregnancies overweight).

I would definitely make sure you're eating enough calories and getting enough liquids. Easy snacks for on the couch are a must. A lactation consultant told me that she knew of one couple before the husband would leave for work he would make his wife lunch. TO make sure she would eat. I thought that was so sweet. I also had a glass of water with a screw on top and straw next to me at all times to make it easier to drink. Everytime I changed my son I would refill my water and go to the bathroom. Second time around my son was 18 months old when I had my daughter. So next to me was my water (with screw on top because he liked to knock glasses over) and a snack for him and me! I left easy things there like peanut butter crackers, easy, doesn't need refrigeration and he was addicted to them. This made it so I could feed her, snack myself, and meet his needs (a bit? I should have played with him more but those first couple of months are hard and he's fine now!). I think I'll stock up on bananas or something this time, easy to peel/eat and my almost 3 year old, and 16 month old will eat them. And Cheezits and other easy things. I'll be able to snack on these too. OMG, what the crap am I going to do? I'm not too worried about weight loss the first month or two, just survival. Then I'll worry about being a better mom and more active after I get through survival mode. After typing all this please just be kind to yourself. I know we're all on MFP to be healthier, but the first two weeks are always super hard for me, and then at 4-6 weeks things get easier and then 6-8 weeks I start feeling like myself. But I was never that active/healthy before kids, so maybe all you fitter people will have an easier time. I'll stop rambling now.

lots of very good info and tips in your post! For me I have to track my food. As a recovering anorexic I tend to not eat or not eat enough. Tracking helps me to get enough to eat and keep my milk supply up.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    I never struggled with my milk supply with my daughter but also was eating/drinking normally after having her and not trying to lose weight.
    Thanks for tips, especially the liquids. I really have a hard time drinking enough anyways so I need to watch this!