The 10 worst foods to eat on a date

Options
lacroyx
lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
so according to this article

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/bad-foods-to-eat-on-dates-thrillist-nation

the following are worst foods to eat while on a date.

Culprit: Wings
Reason To Avoid Them: If you're on a date at a spot that serves wings, you pretty much already bleu it. Unless you make that joke. In which case you are totally hilarious and on the fast track to first base. But really, you shouldn't be ordering something that is going to turn your mouth and hands the color of that lady prison show on Netflix.

Culprit: Garlic
Reason To Avoid It: Really? Well, if you must know, garlic contains allyl methyl sulfide (AMS), which is a volatile liquid absorbed into the blood when consuming garlic, which is then exuded through the pores, so not only your breath, but also your skin stinks. And studies show that people with smelly skin generally don't get second dates.

Culprit: Crawfish
Reason To Avoid It: Nothing sets the mood quite like the sounds of cracking crustacean and nervous gut-slurping.

Culprit: Onion Rings
Reason To Avoid Them: Yes, ordering onion rings does show that you're not just a regular fry-guy who's willing to sacrifice flavor for starch and also that you'll spend an extra buck for the side you really want. The trade-off is that they make you smell like you just left a not particularly eventful state fair.

Culprit: Ribs
Reason To Avoid Them: Yes, a good rib is a thing of beauty, but an object of your potential affection teeth-ripping pork fat means the only rub you'll be getting is a dry one.

Culprit: Corn on the Cob
Reason To Avoid It: Like wings and ribs, corn on the cob falls into the gnawable category and should thus be avoided. It also leads to the very fun game of do-I-have-anything-in-my-teeth, which let's you take turns analyzing each others years of dental neglect. Oh wait, that's actually not a very fun game at all.

Culprit: Hot Dogs
Reason To Avoid Them: Even if you class it up with relish or hide it in a warm blanket of corn, it still doesn't hide the fact that you're biting into a meat stick whose condiments are very soon going to be on your shirt, and your hands, and your face.

Culprit: Mozzarella Sticks
Reason To Avoid Them: Less a breath or hands or face thing, and more of a "prove you graduated from sixth grade eating habits" thing.

Culprit: Fast Food
Reason To Avoid It: It might seem like a good idea to swing by a drive-thru for some quick sustenance in between datey activities like kayaking or going to a museum or explaining your crippling college debt, but taking a romantic interest to Taco Bell is a sure-fire way to make her want to run for the border.

Culprit: Baked Beans
Reason To Avoid Them: Not a good idea even if you know a clever rhyme about how they're a magic fruit.

Agree? Disagree? What foods, if any, would a date have to order that would make you say no to more dates?

I found a lot of the things on this list was funny. Their eating habits might make me think twice, like if she was talking with her mouth full and food bits came flying out. :noway: I'll admit, the idea of a girl tearing into some BBQ ribs with a primal instinct, completely messy and reckless abandon intrigues me.

Personally I am not a fan of onions but, I wouldn't turn down a potential 2nd date with a girl because she ordered onion rings. I do kind of agree with the fast food one though, at least not as a 1st date. Oh and I recently discovered that jelly/jam on eggs is a no no. :laugh: *adds more strawberry jam to his omelette*

Replies

• Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    I was actually just thinking about this while eating out today!

I'd like to add: New York strip

Lots of fat and gristle. When you have a cloth napkin, there's nowhere to hide, either...you either have to cut really carefully, be discreet about it, distract people, or just chew and swallow all the bad part.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I've never not been into someone because of something they ate. Is this really a thing?
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    I think if a guy thought my mozzarella sticks were immature I would happily not share them and proceed to go home and watch Pokemon on Netflix with my dog.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I think if a guy thought my mozzarella sticks were immature I would happily not share them and proceed to go home and watch Pokemon on Netflix with my dog.
    *birngs popcorn, ranch and marinara for the mozzarella sticks and joins Kits*
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Seeing my favorite first date is a baseball game, a hotdog or mozzarella sticks/cheese curds are given.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I would also avoid spaghetti and Vietnamese noodle soup (that is served with a ladel and chopsticks).

I'm not too concerned with what the guy eats (as long as he has table manners), but I really dont want to mess myself up with food flying everywhere.

Ruth - I think you need to explain what mozzarella sticks/cheese curds are....?? lol

Oh, and garlic is fine if you both order it! :bigsmile: Actually, I dont think you can avoid it if you're eating Italian?
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Seaweed salad. . because GROSS!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Have you actually tried it? It's actually good. ;). YUM!!!
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Anything high in fiber. Gives me terrible gas :(
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    so many rules...

i dont think it's a big deal if you're both eating ribs/wings/corn on the cob/garlic.

but then again i also kind of hate the idea of eating on the first few dates anyway because 1) it's boring and 2) how ae we supposed to get to know each other if we're too busy chewing, swallowing, etc?
  • 4themoney
    4themoney Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    i find sushi to be kinda awkward to eat on a first date. mainly because you usually take one huge BITE, ya know? it doesn't stop me, but still awkward. i can't think of much that would bother me though.
  • OperationSuperKAT
    OperationSuperKAT Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Haha sorry, but jelly on eggs is gross!

I generally eat things I can eat with a fork and knife, just because it's easy to cut into small bites, and then I can concentrate on what he is saying instead of wondering if I have food all over my face.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I wrote an article like this recently. Things you SHOULD eat on a first date.

Here it is in entirety:

• Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I've never not been into someone because of something they ate. Is this really a thing?

If you're 14, I suppose it's a thing... Otherwise, not so much.

Too many journalists, not enough journalism.

-P
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

Have you actually tried it? It's actually good. ;). YUM!!!

Love seafood salad. Now thinking about sushi. Uni, Unagi... So good.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I wrote an article like this recently. Things you SHOULD eat on a first date.

Here it is in entirety:

Ahhh, censorship. I guess you'll have to use your imagination.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    lol I rarely go to eat on thie first date. Usually it's lets meet up at the pool hall or bar. That way if the date blows atleast I'll have something to entertain myself with
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Anything that you know in advance you're not going to be able to eat tidily/easily/without spills/slurping - more for the self-conscious/embarrassment factor than anything else. Anything with lots of noodles (the long, thin variety of whatever cuisine) in my case.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

Ruth - I think you need to explain what mozzarella sticks/cheese curds are....?? lol

breaded and fried cheese that is usually dipped in marinara sauce.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    As a general rule, one should avoid:
    - Coffee,
    - Dairy products (cheese, milk and sweets made from milk)
    - Excess of red meats, asparagus, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower
    - Garlic and onions
    They all make your semen taste salty/bitter... That's a nice and subtle way of showing respect to the lucky lady!