Sea level to 9600 feet in 8 hours

Options
fleetzz
fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
Typically live at sea level, no running yesterday during travel. I am due to run today, and tomorrow is my long run-going back to 7-7.5 miles due to leg /knee pain.

So, how many would do the long run with such a drastic change in altitude? I do feel the difference, I think I can handle a 3-5 mile treadmill run, but I am definitely feeling the altitude.

Replies

• plateaued
    plateaued Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I spend two weeks in Venice Ca at sea level then two weeks in Juchitepec Mexico at 7,000 feet each month.

I never touch running in Juchi. But I think I am going to start running there because I no longer get winded climbing stairs and stuff. But very slowly to start to see how my heart and lungs react.

My oncologist says it only takes two days to develop oxygen carrying capacity at altitude but I am not sure I believe him given that shortness of breath there lasts a week at times.

I wouldn't run at 9600 if it's a one-time trip. Not worth the risk in my view.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I live near sea level. A number of years ago, we vacationed at the Grand Canyon. I went for a short, easy run along the rim and my lungs hurt for 3 days after that.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I live around 800 feet (North Texas) and we go up to the Flagstaff, AZ (7500-8000ft) area for vacation almost every year.

Everyone responds to the elevation change differently. I generally keep my runs short 3-5 miles for the first couple of days and then go to my normal distances. I run slower and my HR is a little more elevated but it doesn't bother me much at all. The hills killed me more than the elevation. I did a 5, 12, and 7 mile run last September without any issues.

Just take it easy until you figure out how it will effect you.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Did about 2.5 miles 24 hours after arriving at altitude. Today did 5 very slow-1:20 total-walked a bit. Could definitely feel the altitude, and my heart rate and breathing were more rapid than at sea level. Colorado is pretty dry and toward the end started feeling like I was a bit dehydrated, so decided 5 miles was it. Lungs feel fine. Heart rate back to normal and and now I am rehydrated. I am tempted to look up the partial pressure of oxygen at this altitude so I can estimate what my oxygen saturation would be up here. I am not turning dusky or blue, so it can't be too low. Hmmmm.
  • laurasuzanne2006
    laurasuzanne2006 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I live in Flagstaff. Dont really know if i would bother if it's for a short trip. I still get pretty short of breath at times.