Pulled my hamstring the week of my half...

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
My very first half runs this Saturday, March 29. I squeezed one last good leg workout in last Friday, knowing that I needed to taper my weight lifting this week as well. Yesterday (Sunday) I had a lot of tightness in my hamstring like I had pulled it and it felt cramped up. Today, it's very tight, sore, hurts to straighten my leg out.

I was supposed to do a mid-length run today (5 miles) following Galloway's half training schedule. I am concerned what would happen if I miss this run completely. Is it more important to try to squeeze this run in? Give my leg a few more days? I'm stuck to a desk for the next few hours, but I'm trying to get up and walk as much as possible to help my leg loosen up.

Experienced runners, please advise on how I should work around this setback. Let me know which questions I forgot to answer in my OP. :smile:

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to get any more fit on a 5 mile run this close to the race date. It's more important to get to the start line as healthy as possible. Skip the run and rest that hamstring.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^
    tumblr_inline_mjejfkndvN1qz4rgp.gif
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Perfect, thank you. I didn't really think it would matter, but I'm kind of freaked out about messing this up! There's so much more to consider when running something longer than a 5k.