Awesome Vegan Cornbread Recipe

Options
vegan4lyfe2012
vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,165 Member
I searched the internet over and over looking for a sweet, dense cornbread. I ended up combining 3 recipes to come up with the one that is beyond awesome:

VEGAN CORNBREAD
Makes 16 servings

Ingredients
• 2 T ground flax meal
• 6 T water
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1 T vital wheat gluten
• 1 cup cornmeal
• 3 T light agave
• 1 T maple syrup
• 4 tsp baking powder
• ¾ tsp table salt
• 1 cup soymilk, unflavored
• ¼ cup canola oil

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Spray 8” square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray
3. In small water-tight container, combine flax meal and water. Shake vigorously a few seconds, then let sit
4. In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, gluten, cornmeal, agave, maple syrup, baking powder and salt until well combined
5. Add the flax mixture, soy milk and canola oil to the flour mixture and beat just until smooth (do not overbeat)
6. Let batter sit for 10 minutes before baking (this allows it to become more glutenous so it won’t crumble when done)
7. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 20 minutes
8. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes (still in baking pan)
9. Invert cornbread onto wire rack, then turn right side up
10. Allow to cool about 10 minutes before cutting with bread knife

Replies

• OohShinyThing
    Options
    Thank you for this recipe; it was the best vegan cornbread I've ever made. I had it with black bean and sweet potato chili tonight. I used spelt flour instead of all purpose, and it still turned out great. :)
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you liked it!
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Awesome indeed!

I was going to make this next week but when I made the trip to the supermarket I bought most of the ingredients from the bulk bins for 47c. The whole thing cost less than $1 to make which includes the ingredients I had at home. I subbed unsweetened almond milk for the soy. Left out the maple syrup & added some Stevia. So, not only is it inexpensive, it's also delicious. It's hard to believe it's vegan!

I know I'm going to be making this again. Thanks for the recipe.