Temper Tantrum

Options
knittnponder
knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
I've mostly accepted my dietary limitations but I gave in to a temper tantrum the other day. We'd gone out to a restaurant for dinner that was supposed to have gluten free options. They did but it was a very small selection and by the time my other limitations were included (I'm deathly allergic to shellfish) I had two choices left. My husband was very sweet and wanted to go somewhere else but I was already hangry and I didn't want to be the cause of us having to wait 45 minutes for another table. So I ordered and I ate and it wasn't terrible but I was still a little pouty.

The next day we were out running errands and stopped by the store for some dinner supplies. We got some lunch meat and cheese and planned to make lettuce wraps (in place of sandwiches) so I thought it would be a nice treat for the kids to have some chips to go along with it. We very rarely eat chips so they were pretty happy about it. If I get chips I usually have to go for Cassava chips because I can't eat corn or potato but to my sorrow, they no longer sell them at the store we were at! My husband again offered to go elsewhere for chips but it was late and I was trying really hard to be reasonable.

That lasted until we got home and the entire family was happily munching on chips! I whined and pouted for awhile before I went online and decided to look into what chips were available that fit my special snowflake needs. I ordered six different bags of chips! SIX!!! Apparently in my chip less rage I decided to buy one of each kind offered on the site! Sometime this week I will be in chip heaven with some white bean, some black bean, some rice and some cassava chips. All without corn, gluten or potato.

What was I thinking? :blushing:

Replies

• Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you don't eat them all right away :)

I get it. I've had the same melt-down. Restaurants are hard. My "special snowflake" needs are no: gluten, oats, popcorn, nuts, seeds, dairy, meat, or greasy/oily foods, plus raw veggies are bad and fruits with skins lol. If I find something I can eat....I go all out. I've had more then one pity party while my family is snacking on popcorn.
  • knittnponder
    Options
    Well at least I know I'm not alone. :) I got them yesterday but haven't opened any yet. Hopefully now that I've calmed down I will just pace myself.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Once you start to get a few of the major dietary no-no's, you pretty much give up on restaurants.... Are there any Raw Food Restaurants in Puget Sound? They tend to REALLY think outside the box and you may be pleasantly surprised. Maybe if you are near Seattle... worth a try, but certainly not going to be cheap. (And your family may not be thrilled either.) Try an internet search.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Try dating!! :sad:

:laugh:

Date: "Have anything you like, I love the lasagna and the garlic bread is to die for"

Me: "I will have the fresh fish, plain steamed, steamed broccoli, plain potato. Salad no croutons or tomatoes. Iced tea, unsweet if brewed and no lemon. Thank You"

Date: :huh: "If you didn't like Italian you should have mentioned it! We could have gone anywere" (looks around uncomfortably)

Me: "Oh hun, there is no safe place on earth! :wink: I have learned to eat what I like, without explaining to others why I chose what I choose. Now if you would like to spend our dinner discussing my health issues I am game:tongue: OR we can talk about more pleasant things and enjoy our meals! "

I have had some guys INSIST I take a bite of their meatball (has gluten) or Italian sausage (has nitrates) or chicken picata (lemon, dredged in flour) If we go Thai, no soy-BONG.........Chinese-MSG, Flour, GLuten, Soy........I mean everywhere really.

So I decided long ago to go wherever my friends are going and order what I want. THEY understand.

Dates? I get all kinds of questions or the old "You women are always on some new diet" :huh:

It does stink though, I must agree. {{{{{{{{{{{{hugs{}}}}}}}}}}}}}:heart::smooched:
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    2 of my 3 daughters have had GI issues. The oldest had them for a few years and suffered greatly before her younger sister started having the same problems. We eventually found a doctor who understood the problems we were going through (surprising how many didn't), took the younger daughter, got her tested, and found a laundry list of dietary irritants. The doctor told us that the main problem was - you guessed it - gluten, but as the gluten screwed with her system, other foods joined in the irritation process.

So we put the 2 struggling daughters in particular, and the entire house in general, on a diet that had these banned ingredients:

apples, pears, plums/prunes, grapes, raisins, cranberries, apricots, all citrus, coconut, asparagus, wheat, corn, buckwheat, peanuts, soy, whey protein, triticale, pinto beans, and walnuts.

This of course included all juices, dried fruits, variations and derivatives (such as citric acid), you get the hint.

If you ever want to suffer, take these things away from your school aged child(ren). It was torture. It took a few months. Basically, most of the entire summer. By then both our daughters' guts were healing. So we slowly started re-introducing foods. We got them all back, but the wheat. Our oldest daughter has outgrown all her problems and is doing well. Thank You God. Our youngest daughter still can't have gluten without having problems.

I keep the original list with me to remind myself how difficult things were, whenever I feel whiny about being "just" GF. And I never hold it against of my kids (and in particular our daughter who's still GF) when they get whiny. I'm telling you, it was tough. I cried a lot during that time. And I was on the outside looking in.

In short, I'm trying to say, I feel you sister. And no, you're not alone. It's tough, it's painful, it's frustrating, and a good pout or two is yours to enjoy, if you ask my opinion.

I hope your chips are delicious. You've earned them.
  • no_more_weighting
    no_more_weighting Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Gosh, no gluten AND no potatoes + no corn - that makes my dietary restrictions look like nothing! I can't imagine not being able to have potatoes. Enjoy your chip treats! :)
  • knittnponder
    Options
    So just for the record, Beanitios chips are wonderful! The restaurant style sea salt white bean chips actually taste close enough to a tortilla chip that I went back and read the ingredients again just to make sure they didn't have corn in them! I tried a couple of their flavors and they were all good. I'm kind of glad I had the temper tantrum or I'd have never discovered them!
  • GillaMahogany
    Options
    KnitnPonder your "temper tantrum" is NOTHING to the way I have behaved due to diet restrictions! You were a little pouty and so you ordered some stuff you can actually eat. I have literally had a temper tantrum like a small child at my husband because I was hungry and couldn't eat what I wanted. I have been living GF, and also with a heap of other allergies for about 4 years now, and I still cry on occasion because I feel so sorry for myself. (usually just because I'm hungry, or on my period, the rest of the time, when I'm reasonable I'm just so grateful not to be sick anymore I don't care!) Trust me, you're doing great!

edited for the glaring grammar error I saw as soon as I published it
  • celiacgirl1
    celiacgirl1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I got glutened Friday night at the sushi restaurant we eat at every Friday night!!
    I wanted to stand up in front of the whole restaurant and tell them what happens to a celiac when they eat gluten, every disgusting and scary detail. People just don't get that it isn't a choice. I just canceled a road trip to Austin because I will need a toilet every couple of hours, I would have to bring all of my meals for two days on the road both directions. It just isn't worth the stress.

I have so many food allergies and sensitivities that eating is a major aggravation even at home.
    I'm just angry about it at this point.
    I'm angry that it took so long to be diagnosed.
    I'm angry that people don't realize how serious it is.
    I'm angry that our food is so over processed and contaminated by pesticides that more and more people are having problems.
    I think we have every reason to have temper tantrums.
    We need food to stay alive , but the wrong food in the most tiny amount can make us really really sick.

If I was a billionaire I would open a chain of allergy free organic restaurants so we could go out without fear.
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Coeliacgirl.....when you win the lottery and open up these amazing restaurants, please remember me in Cornwall and go multi-national :)

Hope you are not poorly for too long, what a shame it was somewhere that you trusted- you are always going to be uneasy eating there from now on.