From Machines to Free Weights

Options
CarlieeBear
CarlieeBear Posts: 325 Member
I'm totally intimidated by switching from machines to free weights. Some recent reading has convinced me that it's an important change. The key for me was reading that weights don't work your stabilization muscles. Today when I was trying to get up from a fall on an icy sidewalk while wearing my backpack, I decided I really need to work my stabilization muscles!

I've done things like barbell presses and body weight squats before, but never anything like dead lifts. I'm thinking about doing a free session with a trainer and asking him to introduce me to some of the lifts in the book that I find intimidating.

Any advice?

Replies

• jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Go for it, especially if it is a free less. I love using free weights. And with the instruction u will know on how to lift right.
  • timothycarey7549
    timothycarey7549 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I totally agree. Just like everything in life, what seems daunting at first becomes "old hat" once you've been at it for a while. I used to find the people intimidating more than the actual free weights. Now I strength train 3-4 times a week almost exclusively with free weights. just watch your form, start light, take your time and go for it!
  • kventi
    kventi Posts: 4
    Options
    If your looking for new feee weight workouts, check out my site www.swell-fitness.com
  • CarlieeBear
    Options
    One of my spring break projects has been to find and get back to reading Supercharged. I've been looking at Chapter 18 and am feeling more confident :-)
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Okay so I'm starting the For life program next week read the book and I'm almost done picking out my routine. Life is similar to the first three basic trainings in supercharged, I figured it would get me in my gym for something other than Zumba and then I'd feel. Ore confident about doing supercharged.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love the Supercharged program! I've been weight training for more than 20 years and I'm getting better results with this program than any of the others I have done over the years. Don't be afraid of the free weights! As Timothy said, start light to learn the movements, make sure your form is correct and you'll be fine!
  • CarlieeBear
    Options
    I love the Supercharged program! I've been weight training for more than 20 years and I'm getting better results with this program than any of the others I have done over the years. Don't be afraid of the free weights! As Timothy said, start light to learn the movements, make sure your form is correct and you'll be fine!

Thanks for the testimonial and encouragement! I have My first workout planned and copies of the pages showing the exercises I'm not familiar with copied :-) Part of me wants to go to the gym super late at night for the first couple of workouts.
  • Anniebotnen
    Options
    I understand how you feel! I review the unfamiliar exercises several times before I try them for the first time in the gym, and then again after I get home to make sure I did them correctly. I have the book on my Kindle and there are videos of many of the exercises that I can watch on my iPad or iPhone, which is helpful. None of them have been difficult to learn though, even if they are challenging to execute well!

Of course, nobody else in my gym does several of these, like the plank with pull down and some of the combinations, so I do get looks! Most of the regulars are just interested in what I'm doing and many give me "thumbs up" when I'm done, so I really don't mind the looks one bit. Others probably think I'm nuts , but who cares if we're getting results? The ramp gets some looks too, but I love that part of the workout because I really need the mobility movements and have seen significant improvements in my hip mobility, although I still don't come close to executing like the model in the videos. Plus it really does prepare your body for the lifting.

I hope you'll post after your first workout and let me know how it went!
  • Anniebotnen
    Options
    Forgot to mention that you may want to consider only doing one set of the strength exercises for your first A and B workouts. I helped a friend with the BT 1 A workout a few weeks ago. She was sore for about 4 days even though we kept the weights light or just body weight!
  • CarlieeBear
    Options
    Wish I'd seen your post! My hamstrings are soooo sore!!!! I didn't even do all the exercises...but I did do all the leg exercises. I have moderate pain other places (abs, glutes, chest), but standing up and sitting down, walking up and (esp) down stairs hurts soooo much! At least I know I worked hard enough :-)
  • CarlieeBear
    Options
    So...I did my first NROL-S workout Monday night. I went late enough that there weren't a lot of people in the gym...and late enough that I was crazy tired for two days due to lack of sleep. A young couple ended up hanging out upstairs (they did work out some first), but they were the only others up there.

I've been working out off and on for a couple of years now...the last few months have been 1-3x per month. The RAMP was a challenge, but I made it through. It took forever, because I kept needing to look at my printouts.

It took a bit to figure out how to modify the planks for my badly bruised elbow (I think I'll sub mtn. climbers until it's better) and there was no way I was going to do side planks, much less adding a row to them.

Two sets of 15 squats was a challenge, but I made it through. I did push-ups using the barre, which I thought was too high, but wanted to stick with the floor I was on for my first time.

The intervals were great except that I didn't like the setting I chose on the elliptical. Next time, I'll use the Arc since I think I can do manual and input my weight, etc.

Instead of jumping onto something, I just jumped in place. I'm a bit nervous to jump onto a box at this point and really can't jump very high at all.

I was out of time so skipped the RAMP down. Could that have contributed to my pain? I don't typically do a warm-up or cool-down, so thought it'd be ok.

I think I'll like the program and benefit from it once I get it down. I'm feeling much less intimidated. The only negative was that I didn't feel like my arms got a very good workout. That's undoubtedly partly due to not doing the pull and doing super wimpy push-ups.

In case you're wondering about my elbow...I fell on some snow-covered ice a couple of weeks ago on my way into work. I got a nasty cut and it hurts like I bruised the bone if that's even possible. All I know is that putting pressure on it really hurts.
  • Anniebotnen
    Options
    Congratulations on your first Supercharged workout! It does take a few workouts to get the ramp down , but you'll get there.

In regards to the box jumps, I was very nervous too. I had both of my hips replaced in 2011 so I have to modify some of the exercises because my hips are not 100 % rehabbed (part of my objective with this program is to get my lower body back to full strength). I started by jumping onto the platform part only of an aerobics step (maybe 4" high). I have gradually added risers to the platform and I am getting ready to add a third riser, which I think will approach one foot. Baby steps, but progress!

My arms are always sore after my workouts and have a lot more definition than when I started. What pulling exercise did you select?

Sorry about your elbow! The bone can definitely get bruised and I'm sorry to say it takes a while to heal (one of my friends had that problem and that's what the orthopedist told her).

I foam roll after my workouts, but still get sore if I have increased weights or gone to the next level. It's usually not bad , but enough to let me know I worked out!