How long did it take you to lose your weight PP?

Options
ktkdmommy
ktkdmommy Posts: 95 Member
Hey Moms!

I just had my second boy this past August. I feel like its taking forever this time around to lose the weight and get back to where I was! I have been at the same weight for the past 4 weeks and all I do is work-out like crazy and eat right (mostly ;)! Anyone have any tips??

Replies

• RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    After my first, I lost all the baby weight and then some (quite a bit) in a little more than a year. I was 255 pre-delivery and was 154 about 13 months later. Admittedly I was only eating 1200 calories and, about 7 months in, running or Spinning about six days/week. That's a lot of exercise, but I was not nearly eating enough, especially when you consider that I didn't eat back many, if any, exercise calories.

This time I am having a much harder time. BFing is a big part of it because for some women it encourages your body to hang onto weight but it also doesn't help you separate from your baby when he won't drink from anywhere but "straight from the tap!" Dad can't help much in that instance... I had my baby 5/23 and was 240 pre-delivery, and now I'm somewhere between 200 and 205 (I kind of gave up weighing), over 8 months later. By my old pace I should be much lighter, but the first time I was FFing, but I'm making peace with it and trying to suck it up until we wean (at or before a year, should he decide to wean earlier, though he seems to love BFing, so... yeah).

If I wasn't already convinced that I was done after two, the weight gain during both pregnancies and lack of loss afterwards this time has sealed the deal. (Although The World thinks we need to "try for a girl" because apparently my life will be incomplete until I have a daughter. Whatever!)

If you've been losing consistently and have only been stuck these last four weeks, that's likely just a sign that you either need to be a bit more careful or that you need to shake up your eating and/or workouts. What are your eating and workout regimen like?
  • ler2665
    ler2665 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm 9 months out and just got back at my pre-baby weight a couple of weeks ago (which I had only been at for a month before getting pregnant!). This is my first, and nursing has been such a help! I love the extra 500 cals I get to eat and still lose!!! Though I didn't lose an ounce the first 6 weeks, until I started counting with MFP again. I gained about 50 lbs during the pregnancy, and only lost 15 by having the baby. The extra 35 stayed with me those 6 weeks :-P. If I were to ever have a second, I would do a better job not to gain so much, but I knew I'd be able to lose it because I was so successful with MFP last year. I definitely still have stretch marks and saggy skin I didn't have before. I plan to use 30 Day Shred to tone up again before summer.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    2nd baby is now 6mths old and I am finding it much harder to loose this time around. 1.) Motivation is alot harder. I am still about 20lbs less than I was before I lost the initial weight, so I think I am somewhat comfortable, but not 100% happy. 2.) I quit the gym to save $$ and thought I could workout at home...NOPE! With 2 kids (4yo and 6mth) needing attention when I get home, this is nearly impossible. I have tried waking up early or doing it after they go to bed, but in our small condo, I wake them up! 3.) Food is GOOD! It has been much harder for me to say no to food like I did when I initially lost.

I only have about 18-20lbs to loose, and I know I can do it, but finding my groove has been tough! My goal is baby girls 1st bday!
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    A year. 13 months to be exact. Breast feeding had me hang onto a bit of weight. I want to lose 10 to 15 more pounds though.
  • spunkychelsea
    spunkychelsea Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    My son I only gained 23 lbs and I had lost it all by 8 days post partum. I was still overweight to start with. Lost 10 more over several months.

Gained 46 lbs with my daughter. When I stepped on a scale 2 months pp I was down 22 lbs. Took me another 3 months to lose the other 24 lbs (so 5 months total, but only 3 months of counting calories). Took another 3 months to lose another 12 lbs to put me in healthy weight.
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I had my second boy a year ago and I lost my weight really quick. But that's because I only gained 20 pounds and my baby was 10.4 pounds of it. Lol. It took me longer to lose the weight after my first because I gained more. Keep at it, it will come off. I've heard some people say that it takes 9 months to put on so it might take that long to come off. Good luck :)

Just wanted to add that when I gave birth I was 210 (January 2013) and my pre pregnancy weight was 183. By his first birthday (last month) I was 163. So I definitely lost weight in that year, I logged all my food and worked really hard at exercise :)
  • samanthacollier1
    Options
    I gained 50 - 60 lbs in all three pregnancies. The first time I lost it within a year, second time was about six months (working out like crazy) and now, my baby girl is 13 months and I still have 30 to lose. That being said, I haven't been trying as hard but I think it might be harder as she's my 3rd and I'm working full time now with not as much time to work out/eat right etc.

I'm going to start planning meals and booking off time for working out.
  • stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Well, for my first, I was overweight, gained 50 lbs and only lost about 30 by the time my son was 9 mos, so I joined MFP and lost a little over 60lbs by the time he was 17 months. My second, I only gained 30, lost 10 right away, 10 more by the time she was about 9 mos... but just got down to my pre-preggo weight a month or so ago, and she's 20 months old tomorrow. But this time, I was happy enough with my size and while I still logged and worked out... I was focusing more on maintaining than losing. I did lose faster after I stopped BFing (15mos with my son, 11 mos w/ my daughter).
    Good luck on your journey... may not be a short one, but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed!
  • sunnydayz71
    sunnydayz71 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I don't remember with my first, it was 14 years ago. But this one, I gained 40ish pounds and lost it all in 6 months. I was surprised it came off so fast (I'm in my 40's !) but it did and now I'm on a mission to lose 20 more.
  • Barefoot_Gaia
    Options
    With my first two, it all melted off within 3 months..
    However, I'm 5 years older this time around. I had my baby 5 weeks ago and have lost 33lbs, although I put on a bit more with this one, so I have about 25lbs before I get down to my pre-pregnancy weight. I doubt I'll make it there by the time I hit three months post partum, but I am aiming to have it all off by summer! I can't help but lament that if I was one of those women who doesn't cling to every calorie during pregnancy, I could be my pre-pregnancy weight by now! :(
  • acarrillo2012
    acarrillo2012 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    With my first it was all off in 4 months just from breastfeeding and walking, not even watching what I ate much. This time my daughter is 7 months and I still have 10 lbs to go.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I gained 19 lbs for both of my pregnancies.

With the first, I lost the weight right away but gained it all back (and then a whoooole lot more).

With my second, I have already lost all the pregnancy weight plus an extra 10lbs (she's 2.5 months old). I am determined to keep it off and continue losing.

I don't do anything real special... I do yoga, eat right (I pack healthy snacks on Sunday so I have them available for work), breastfeed and eat about 3200 calories/day (and ALL exercise calories).
  • carstekj
    carstekj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It's still a work in progress. I had my son 2.5yrs ago and hung on to 10lb's from that pregnancy and so I was starting 10lb's over with my second pregnancy. I gained about 40lbs with my 2nd and have lost 30 of it. She was a 9lb baby though.

I haven't started working out yet, but I'm hopeful I will get the motivation to do so soon... and the money. But I have watched what I eat recently and can gain 4lb's of water weight over the weekend if I drink too much Diet Coke and not enough water.

I've found a good breakfast-snack-lunch combo that I am good at sticking to during the week at work, but I get a little off balance when I'm at home.
    Breakfast - Cliff Bar
    Snack- Carrots and Hummus
    Lunch- Lettuce with some sort of protein (lunch meat/chicken/hard boiled egg) and a fiber one bar (90cal) for dessert.

I hope we find success soon!
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    The first time around I started trying to lose weight about about 4 weeks postpartum, but was spinning my wheels until 5 months postpartum, when I found MFP.

It took about 5 months from that point to reach pre-baby weight, and about 9 months to lose all of the weight I had wanted to lose. Which would put me at about 14 months postpartum to be at maintenance.

This time around I hope to have significantly less to lose - but I will also have two little ones and anticipate more scheduling difficulties with regard to exercise. Should be interesting!

Good luck to you in your endeavours!

My only real strategy was 1) move more 2) eat less 3) lift things and 4) get enough protein. No rules other than those. Thankfully that was all I needed :smile:.
  • shelbz123
    shelbz123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    help! what are you breastfeeding moms eating!! I barely get 1500 in a day what else are you eating that is healthy!?
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    It took a year. Gained 50 lbs with the pregnancy. Breastfed and ate relatively right and just took it slow. Took 9 months to put it on, figured it would take that long to lose it too :)
  • carstekj
    carstekj Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    *Shoot, this was supposed to have the quote from the bf question above...

I'm breastfeeding, and these are some of the things I'll eat in a day... or switch one snack for the other etc..

Greek Yogurt (Light&Fit)
    CLIF Bar
    Beef sticks/beef jerky
    Carrots, celery and hummus
    FiberOne Bars
    Lettuce with either lunch meat, chicken, or hard boiled egg on it to add protein

I like to indulge with graham crackers and frozen light cool whip.

My dinners are usually whatever I make for the family, but my portions are small.

Good luck!
    PS. My calories are around 1400-1600/day
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    My daughter is almost 3 so it took my about 3 years. My pre marriage weight is 105 & per pregnancy weight is 150. I hit 150 when she was 2 1/2 & will never hit 105 again. I think I look better at 114lbs. Here's a good link

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • rosy003
    rosy003 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    With my first two pregnancies I gained 40 lbs each time and it took me a year to lose it each time. This time I gained 25 lbs and it will STILL take probably a year to lose it. I've got 5 lbs to go at 9 months in. I think that we can definitely help the process by eating right and exercising, but in my experience, especially with breastfeeding, the body does what it wants to do sometimes.
  • Kaylyn221
    Kaylyn221 Posts: 123
    Options
    With my first I gained 80lbs and lost close to 100 within a year after he was born.

This time around it's been a lot slower BUT I know some will drop weight like nothing when they breast feed. Not me. My body hung on to every little oz no matter what I did {my daughter self weaned about a month ago so no more breast feeding :( }. I also hurt my back {tore the lower tendon near my spine} pretty bad and was out completely for a good month {it was extremely painful and lots of visits to the chiropractor}. So... here I am. Back all healed, no more bfing and im getting back on the wagon so I am curious to see how long it takes me this time {I only gained 55lbs with this pregnancy, so a lot but not nearly as much as with my first}.