Instant food for when you are busy or travelling

Options
I have found a new product today, it tasted lovely and was very convenient to use. Mama Handi Rice comes in a pouch which you rip open, pour in boiling water then just wait for 7 minutes. Job done.

Does anyone have any recomendations for this kind of food - I know it is not healthy but when travelling I like to have something that I can just chuck some hot water on rather than spend a fortune on awful, risky motorway service station food. Pot noodle kinda things.

Obviously needs to be gluten free :)

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a good convenience food as long as you keep your portions in check.

Those no-drain tuna and salmon foil pouches work well.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I have found a new product today, it tasted lovely and was very convenient to use. Mama Handi Rice comes in a pouch which you rip open, pour in boiling water then just wait for 7 minutes. Job done.

Obviously needs to be gluten free :)

Uncle Ben's has a Quinoa & Brown Rice with roasted garlic pouch you can nuke for 2 minutes and share with another person (in Canada anyway). It's really yummy and handy if you can get to a microwave oven. I like those tuna pouches, just have to watch the seasoning or sauces that can be in some of them, maybe not GF??
  • SimplyMicheleR
    SimplyMicheleR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My husband likes "Simply Asian" brand of instant rice noodles (in a bowl - you nuke). He adds a can of chicken and it is a good quick lunch. You have to watch they also do have wheat noodles though, so make sure you read the container.
  • sowich25
    sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For a snack nature valley makes a great gluten free bar now. It holds you over when your not sure of whats at the rest stops
  • sb4480
    sb4480 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of traveling I'm doing. Most airports now have concessions that sell cheese and HB eggs, so I'll often opt for that with a side of nuts. In the car I'll either pack snacks or I'll buy nuts, cheese sticks and such at rest areas. If I really want to be bad I'll buy a bag of fritos...hey, they're gluten free!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of Larabars when traveling. They have several different types...plus their ALT bars have a bit of protein so they are more filling. Also check out Go Picnic meals. They require no heating or refrigeration and are a complete portable little meal. If you have access to a microwave Tasty Bite Madras Lentils are really good and heat in one minute. Annie's makes microwave mac and cheese cups that are gluten free as welll!
  • fattybumclaire
    fattybumclaire Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have just googled the Go Picnic meals, they look amazing but I can't find a supplier in the UK for them - can I stamp my feet in frustration lol.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I like to take my shaker cup, and a big container of water (empty if I'm travelling by plane - stock up after the security check) and a couple of sachets of Vega One protein powder mix in Tropic Tango. Add some celery sticks, an apple, and/or nuts and pumpkin seeds depending on what my carb vs fat levels are that day and I'm good to go anywhere.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Nakd Bars and I also buy propercorn in bulk as they are both gluten free and also fit in with all my allergies. Will look at the rice as it sounds great if away overnight.
  • fattybumclaire
    Options
    I didnt even consider protein powders, that could be useful. Do they actually fill you up like eating a proper meal? I am quite a greedy person and get really grumpy if I feel hungry lol - not a good option during a long flight haha.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I didnt even consider protein powders, that could be useful. Do they actually fill you up like eating a proper meal? I am quite a greedy person and get really grumpy if I feel hungry lol - not a good option during a long flight haha.

The protein shakes work well to keep you full especially if you use almond or coconut milk as your liquid. I use water because the type I use taste OK with it and I just want the protein and not added carbs etc. They would work especially well if you use dairy milk EXCEPT you would need a way to keep the milk cool. I try to eat 5 or 6 times a day so I also try to eat a small snack 1/2 way between bf & lunch. But while I was losing weight I just had the protein powder in water for breakfast - nothing else but my vitamins - and I had no problem with feeling hungry later. Of course, I've never been a huge breakfast person - if you are, it may not feel like much of a breakfast emotionally, but physically it does keep you full. Protein takes longer to digest and does not spike your blood sugar (setting you up for cravings when it suddenly drops) like carbs can. If you add a bit of good fats (nuts are an idea) it will also help you feel more satisfied longer.
    I have certification from the Cleveland Clinic (in Ohio, US) in "Embracing LIfe, Exercise, & Nutrition" -sponsored by one of the places I used to work. Hope the above info helps :drinker:
    Liana
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Just another thought... I've requested a meal for celiacs when booking a flight before... I don't think all airlines can accommodate, but some are pretty good especially if you fly the larger name carriers and not the discount/budget carriers. Worth a try if you are flying internationally & your meal is usually free.
  • GillaMahogany
    Options
    My go-to travel food is "That's It" bars. They're just dried fruit in a sealed granola bar form. Easy to pack, easy to eat, and so filling I can only eat half of one at a time. I have an active outdoor job, so they're great for pocketing and eating a bite between tasks.
  • fattybumclaire
    Options
    I have found another one.......papa brand instant rice noodles, clear soup flavour! Labelled as gluten free and low fat.

Put in a bowl, add flavour sachet and hot water, cover with a plate and wait 3 minutes.
    Had some for my lunch today, quite nice ( I used the entire sachet of chilli powder, won't do that again lol).

Woohoo - now getting a good few options for my travelling :)
  • sowich25
    Options
    LARABAR. Found them in Target today, They are in the vitamin section. It looks like they have 5 or 6 kinds.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    There are instant oatmeal packets. Glutenfreeda.
    I also take almond butter packets single use. : Justine's is my face. Pack any gf cracker
    Lara, alt, kind bars, Elizabeth hasselback gIi bars, bonk breakers
    Nuts
    Tofu noodles like shiitake are awesome.
  • sowich25
    Options
    Kind Bars. Found them in walmart 3 bucks a box. Great taste and cheap
  • fattybumclaire
    Options
    I keep googling all of these fab ideas but it appears that I can't buy them in the UK :(
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    This isn't for a flight, but in the hotel, I have actually got some of those zero cal noodles and a jar of sauce, rinse the noodles and nuke it ( had an extra bowl from the hotel breakfast area)... stick leftovers in the hotel fridge and it tastes BETTER the next day.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    I keep googling all of these fab ideas but it appears that I can't buy them in the UK :(

How about Quest bars... they do have whey protein though; if you are dairy free - they won't work. Very tasty fairly low in carbs, lots of protein.

The Shirataki noodles are the zero cal tofu ones - if you have an Asian grocery anywhere near, you can usually buy Japanese dried noodles that just need a soak made from sea vegetables (seaweed, lol) or tofu, etc and they are low or no cal BUT not usually cheap.