Staying on track while going through a flare

j3bean
j3bean Posts: 24 Member
Hi all:
In the past year I was able to shed all of my excess weight (Thanks MFP!) and built a very solid workout regimen of walking, swimming and pilates that helped me alot with keeping fit and trim. About a month ago I went into a flare (I have Ankylosing Spondylitis) and I could not believe how fast all of my good behaviors went out the window! I instantly started craving all the salty fatty overprocessed junk that doesn't help the waist line or the flare-and because my hip was so inflamed I couldn't walk, so double trouble. Needless to say I put on weight rapidly.

I am back on track now, but just wondering if anyone else has any tips or tricks to overcome the urge to splurge when in a bout of pain?

Replies

• SunVegan8
    SunVegan8 Posts: 10 Member
    For me,
    1. the battle is won at the store. If you hurt getting to the store is more than likely beyond your / my ability, so, what's in the house is the only thing available. If I eat too much broccoli, well, ...... that happens, so, That's one way.
    2. Have a list made ahead of time of what you'll do when this craving happens. Put the list where you can see it, on the fridge, inside the cupboard, ect, make more than one of the same list. It will help direct you when things are more difficult. Exxamples of things that could go on the list. a. drink a cup of tea b. Eat an apple c. take a bath , ect. Depending on how much pain you are in will direct some of the options.
    3. have substitutions for the food being craved, so if salty food is what you're craving, Salted rice cakes for example. You may need to experiment. The body will start to crave the substitute food after a while instead of what you were craving first. The body is an amazing thing.

Well, there's a few - if I can get outside, that helps me too.
  • If you can, or if you have someone who can help, make homemade equivalents of the junk you are craving. Package them in individual servings and only eat one serving a day. You still get to eat the thing you crave, but you've made a healthy-ish alternative and you are actively controlling your portions. It does wonders for me when I flare up (fibromyalgia).
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    I ditto SunVeggan's advise. I do not have certain foods which I know I can not stay away from in the house. Potato chips and cookies! If I want chips, I have to make a trip the the store to get them and by that time it's just too much effort to make for a chip. LOL

I keep lots of healthy options in the house but For salty when nothing else will do, whole grain tortilla chips with fresh salsa is my go to food. Individual sided bags of popcorn. Puffcorn (it is oddly lower in carbs than any salty snack I've found but still salty).

For sweet, Skinny Cow is my friend. :). Their caramel truffle ice cream bars are to die for. Their chocolate peanut butter crisp bars are just like having a candy bar. Both SC are lower carb and much lower calorie than the standard options.
  • kmouse2
    kmouse2 Posts: 93 Member
    If you have a Kindle and like to play video games - just start playing until the food cravings stop - I will also fix myself a cup of tea or some ice water while I am playing. If the cravings don't go away - eat some protein - nuts are good or some peanut butter on celery. Most of the time I just need to start playing and in no time the cravings are gone. Frozen, low fat yogurt is also a good sweet treat. I don't keep any junk food in the house - if I really need some then I must make a trip into town. So if I am having a really bad, painful day I can't reach for something unhealthy because I don't have it in the house. Pretty soon you don't even crave that stuff any more or at least I don't crave it any longer. It just takes time for you body to learn new tricks.
  • 40Jamieful
    40Jamieful Posts: 28 Member
    Kmouse2, I really like your idea about how to get through cravings! I wish I could have no tempting food at home, but my boyfriend buys it. And it's so hard to ignore it. I will try your idea, I am sure that will help:)