Metformin and low carbs

Options
mtucker823
mtucker823 Posts: 9 Member
Hello Everyone!

I recently started metformin about a month and a half ago. I am up to my correct dose finally ( 1500 mg ). I am working on trying to eat less carbs. I never realized how many carbs I was eating a day. Between drinking soda and my portion sizes, no wonder I couldn't lose weight. I have set my goal for carbs to be under 150. This is going on my second week with this new lifestyle change and I usually average about 120 carbs a day.

It seems to be working, I have lost 7 pounds since last monday!

My question is, what do you consider low carb? I know with pcos carbs are our enemy. Is 120 a day still too many carbs? Or should I leave it alone since it seems to be working?

Just wondering how many carbs I should be eating and any input would be greatly appreciated! :)

I could also use some friends to motivate each other! Feel free to add me!

Replies

• xSirensSong
    xSirensSong Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Morning, darlin'!

So, I set my carbs to 100 a day because 150-200 were way too many for me ~ I consistently gained. My advice would be to keep it the way it is if it's working for you so you have some wiggle room (down the road, you may notice yourself plateauing & that would be your 'go-to' fix; just lowering your carbs instead of doing that now & having no where to go once you plateau.)

Great job, beautiful! Congrats on your loss!!
  • CatShelton
    CatShelton Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

The advice I recieved from my nutritionist who has PCOS herself was the following. As long as it is working keep it up, when your weight loss tapers off lower your carbs gradually. All of your carbs should come from fruit, vegetable, legumes not from added sugar or grains. Also pay attention to your fiber requirements. Get at least 30 grams per day, leafy greens are our best friend as PCOS patients. I have consistently lowered my carb intake and these are the guidelines I am following right now.

20-30 carbs for each meal
    10 carbs or less for snacks
    meals should be 4-5 hours apart with snacks in between to keep the blood sugar level
    everything I eat should be low GI
    Stop eating 4 hours before bedtime

What matters is not how many carbs you have over the course of the day, but how many you have at each meal. In order to keep blood sugar level and keep our bodies burning calories instead of storing them we need to avoid spiking blood sugar. So keeping meals at 20-30 carbs with snacks in between to keep the blood sugar even is the best approach.
  • mtucker823
    mtucker823 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I love how I can come here for advice!
  • AmazingGracexox
    AmazingGracexox Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Try not to drastically reduce your carbs whilst on metformim - I found this out the hard way & felt really faint neaely passing out! :/ Wholegrains are your friend!
  • kbshannon
    kbshannon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    FYI, make sure you are getting enough B-12 (methyl b-12, specifically) as metformin will deplete b-12. Pernicious anemia is nothing to mess with. Been there, done that.

Zone diet worked well for me before, aided me in getting regular and conceiving. Going back to it since having my son, and I can't really use the excuse of "baby weight" since my son will be 9 this year. ;-)
  • kbshannon
    kbshannon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sounds a lot like the Zone diet which worked really well for me.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I aim for (keywords here being "aim for" lol) ~100 g/carbs per day. Some days, I'm better at hitting that goal than others. It's a work in progress! But like the others, I would say if it's working for you, then I'd just stick with that! Glad you found something that works =)