Vegan weight loss

Options
unisheep
unisheep Posts: 16 Member
Hello everybody,

I have been living the plant based lifestyle for about 20 days now, and I am feeling great!
I need to lose a whole lot of weight ... and I'll try to do it following Happy Herbivore recipes (which I find really delicious so far!) and recipes from other vegan sites.

I am happy to have found this group.

Check out my blog if you like:
http://weightlossveganstyle.blogspot.it/

Cheers to all!
Mooncow/Unisheep

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Hi! I got to look at your blog, way to go on the commitment...hopefully it will workout for you. You are not alone on this journey!
  • unisheep
    Options
    Thanks, Bobby!
    For me it's about more than diet - I am obviously interested in the other issues (animal rights, environmental etc.), too.
    Thanks again for your support! :-)

Unisheep/Mooncow
  • getmysexybodyback
    Options
    Awesome - 20 straight days, great job! I am trying to lose weight doing vegan as well. I've got about 35 lbs to lose. Would love to trade tips and offer support. Keep up the great work!
  • unisheep
    Options
    Have you been vegan for a while? Vegetarian? Or did you just make the switch now? What inspired you? (sorry about the many questions ...!)

Unisheep/Mooncow
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am recently working my way into vegan (some days are better than others) and have 50 or so pounds to lose as well. I know all vegans hate hearing this, but I'm having a hard time getting enough protein as far as the MFP settings are concerned.
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I am recently working my way into vegan (some days are better than others) and have 50 or so pounds to lose as well. I know all vegans hate hearing this, but I'm having a hard time getting enough protein as far as the MFP settings are concerned.

I know this can be worrisome for a lot of new vegans. Personally I think the settings are high for protein. Have you tried adding seitan? I make my own and its pretty cheap. One bag of vwg will last me 3-4 weeks. Tvp is easily added to a lot of meals and is amazing as a sub for the expensive meat crumbles you buy frozen. If you eat pasta and rice try subbing for brown and quinoa. Quinoa can be expensive, but if you're the only one eating it then it should last awhile. Oh and nutritional yeast has protein in it and I add it to everything!!
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options

I know this can be worrisome for a lot of new vegans. Personally I think the settings are high for protein. Have you tried adding seitan? I make my own and its pretty cheap. One bag of vwg will last me 3-4 weeks. Tvp is easily added to a lot of meals and is amazing as a sub for the expensive meat crumbles you buy frozen. If you eat pasta and rice try subbing for brown and quinoa. Quinoa can be expensive, but if you're the only one eating it then it should last awhile. Oh and nutritional yeast has protein in it and I add it to everything!!

Is it difficult to make seitan? I just buy the WestSoy brand and it's not cheap.
  • kitsune1989
    kitsune1989 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It's not hard just time consuming. I use a recipe from post punk kitchen. All in all takes about an hour, but yields 4 days worth.

I've actually never had store bought seitan. They don't sell it around here.
  • unisheep
    Options
    I love legumes ...beans, lentils, chickpeas ... and so far have been pretty good about meeting my protein macros. I wouldn't be too worried about protein. I think it's one of those things (like "milk is good for you") that has been installed in us and might not be based on the truth.

Mooncow/Unisheep
  • mgoblethomas
    mgoblethomas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can also change the protein settings - that's what I did.

Mary
  • dgkt
    dgkt Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You can also change the protein settings - that's what I did.

Mary

How do you detirmine the percentage? Just estimate 46g?
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    kitsune the fox goddess who loves to eat inari!
    It's not hard just time consuming. I use a recipe from post punk kitchen. All in all takes about an hour, but yields 4 days worth.

I've actually never had store bought seitan. They don't sell it around here.

the best seitan/wheat gluten you can buy from a store usually comes from asian markets... in little blue cans. wu chung, wei chan, champion are the usual brands. it is called "mun chai ya" for the mock duck variety, and "chai pow yu" for the mock abalone.... of the two i prefer the latter because it works best in soups and satays and comes in this amazing tasting marinade... sometimes chinese restaunts serve it.... especially on the west coast... there was a place in sf chinatown called the lucky creation that served a variety plate of 5 types of gluten in different sauces for 3 dollars. I have made it many times though I must admit I can not get as varied results as what Ive seen in chinese restaurants.

some of the canned varieties have msg which doesnt bother me particularly, but the wu chan that is currently on my pantry shelf, is all quite natural... i know some american whole foods companies like white wave sell their own version...as seitan its much more expensive and has a different texture but it is sometimes nice too.

The best cookbook is by nina and michael shandler: how to make all the meat you eat out of wheat. (very detailed instructions and lots of good info on marinades etc)

there is also cooking with seitan by barbara and leonard jacobs but havent opened it in years.

martin stidham "the fragrant vegetable" is a chinese cookbook with a chapter on it.

louise hagler's farm cookbook has a few short but (informative )pages on it.

ive gathered from a regional chinese cookbook i was thumbing through in halfprice books one time that wheat gluten dishes are a specialty of the area around Shanghai.

a lady that ran a chinese buffet here once gave me their recipe on a napkin... im not sure where I have filed that but i never tried it because it seemed way too easy (almost no kneading) but the key ingredient was vital wheat gluten.

Since you mentioned post punk kitchen, I must admit I recall seeing it mentioned often in Terry Romeros book... I havent looked at her recipe but if its as thourough as her recipes for tamales or enchiladas then I would imagine shes very thorough.
  • mgoblethomas
    mgoblethomas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    dgkt, I just put my protein at 20%, but then decided to eliminate it from my tracking (along with carbs). I track fat, sodium, iron, calories, and Vitamin C.

BTW, I am new here - well, starting again - on day 4 - am mostly vegan, and I thought if I hang out with some vegans it will help push me towards 100%!

I have recently read books by Dr. McDougall, T.Colin Campbell, Pam Popper, and others, and I just don't worry that much about protein any more.

Mary
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I changed my settings to 80/10/10, per Dr. T. Colin Campbell. I admire him and trust his information. Love his book "Whole" and the "Forks Over Knives" DVD. I have the companion book and FOK cookbook. I use them all the time. I have quite a collection of vegan cookbooks (20+) but these are the two I keep coming back to.
  • Lynx0526
    Lynx0526 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm trying to go for at least 60g of protein per day. I think 50-60 is good if you're trying to eat around 1400 calories. I'm also really bad at math, I do not know what this percentage means lol. I think most non-vegan nutritionists recommend too much protein, but I also think a lot of vegan recommendations are for too little protein. A happy medium is what I like to go with.

I am trying to get my protein through sometimes things like seitan or a mock meat, but I don't really like them, and they're usually pretty high in sodium. I have a soy intolerance, but if you don't and can eat it, tofu is a good way to go. There's tons of great recipes for using it. Edamame (the soy bean) is also a good one as well as regular beans (though they are also very starch heavy). Also look for vegetables that have a higher-than-average protein count or quinoa.

I do also like Vega One and Sun Warrior protein powders. They can sometimes be a little on the expensive side, but they will last you a while.