New to group.

Options
Multifacet
Multifacet Posts: 66 Member
I'm glad this group is just Lap Banders! I'm new to the group and finally started logging my food after only using ticker on another site. The other site lumped all types of WLS patients together, so happy to find this group. I'm doing well with my band and have my first adjustment on January 2nd. I'm looking forward to feeling some restriction but have been following my instructions well, so seeing results. I look forward to interacting with you all!!

Replies

• pjenkinson1970
    Options
    Hi Fellow bandster, I was banded on August 28th of this year and I am getting my 4th fill on the 7th. I got my last on Dec. 17th and felt nothing until a week later now I can feel restriction. I'm finding lap-bands are very moody. It's a good thing I am feeling a bit of restriction because I haven't been making the best food choices over the hollidays. How are you doing with all the temptations and no restriction? I'm getting back on track with my eating and exersize tomorrow. Also doing a 24 hour holliday detox to get all the junk I ate out of my system. talk with you soon and welcome to myfitnesspal :)
  • Multifacet
    Options
    Thanks so much for the welcome. I did really well over the holidays...didn't gain...actually lost a couple of pounds. This was good because since I started solid foods, I've stalled. I walk most days for exercise and it feels great! I'm feeling so much better and much more active. Working toward getting off of the insulin pump, hopefully soon. I'll still take oral diabetes meds, but I can live with that. Glad to find some fellow bandsters!!
  • taz343
    taz343 Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi I am new to this group, but not new to Lap Band. I had my surgery on 1/1/11. I have gained all of my weight back and then some... I am looking for support and friends. Please help!!
  • ksmomwithxtra
    Options
    I had the surgery in May of 2010. If there was one thing I could undo, it was this surgery. I have not lost weight. I wish I had done it the old fashioned way. We are now $16,000 in debt, and I am still fat! To make matters worse, I have been only able to eat liquids since Friday because of awful acid reflux and vomiting - even water. I have no (0) ccs in my band. If we had the money, I would get this removed immediately. Anyone else unhappy with their surgery?
    I am 225 and 5 foot 5 inches.
  • Multifacet
    Options
    Wow, ladies. Sorry to hear this. I have great post-op aftercare. They want to see me every month. Did either of you have this? I know it will keep me on track. I'm very determined though. I hope you both can turn it around and above all be happy.
  • hockeywife91
    hockeywife91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had the surgery January 10, 2012. I will be switching from puree'd food over to soft foods in two days. Yay! As anxious as I am, I'm also very hesitant because I'm afraid that I will eat the wrong foods. I have been very strict and followed the diet to the last detail, but I'm starting to feel hungry and my cravings are coming back. I'm not scheduled for a fill until Feb. 28th, so until then, I need to buckle down and try to "behave". My weight loss has slowed over the past 2 weeks and I'm trying very hard not to be discouraged. During the liquid phase, I averaged a pound a day, and in the last 12 days, I've only lost 2 lbs. Did any of you have the same problem? I just feel like my weight loss is coming to a halt and I don't want to be discouraged.
  • Nerdinista
    Nerdinista Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Welcome!
  • Multifacet
    Options
    Hello Hockeywife! (thought I did "quote" but guess not, ha!) Your date says 2012 but I suspect you meant 2013. I was banded in November 2012 and have had several stalls already. :grumble: Some I have just pushed through, this last one I buckled down and lowered my intake just a bit and it worked!! I'm having trouble getting my water intake up, but give it conscious thought daily and I walk or do an aerobic dvd 5 to 6 days a week. I just want to get to "onederland" !!:happy:
  • hockeywife91
    hockeywife91 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yes, I meant 2013. Thanks for the catch! I'm having a real difficult time getting my water intake also. Today I switched over to Soft Foods and I was so excited about that. Unfortunately, this is the first time I've had nausea since the first couple of days after surgery. So I guess I need to take it slower. I'm also having trouble getting my protein levels up. I can usually hit 60 grams a day, but I know that is the lowest of the range and I should really be getting alot more. Any suggestions?

As of right now, I have an ankle injury which prevents me from doing as much exercise as I'd like. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks, my doctor will release me to normal activities.

I, too, look forward to "onderland". Its just over the horizon!!
  • lhammond5
    lhammond5 Posts: 11
    Options
    This was posted as a reply on another topic, but I wanted to introduce myself, and this really said how I feel.

My surgery date is May 1. I'd love to walk this journey with you.

I am 227, 5'6". Not as severe as others, so I convinced myself for a long time that I should be able to just work hard and lose the weight. Willpower:nada. I hate my lack of discipline, but I've come to terms with the band as a tool to force myself to do it. Just being honest here.

My husband had the surgery before Christmas last year, and he's totally the poster child for doing this right. He's a freakin' runner now! I appreciate his wholehearted support, but it's also a bit intimidating. He's lost over 100 lbs and looks so great! More energy too. He works out a lot... and I HATE working out. Well, I'm kinda looking forward to starting to work out, because with this 'forced diet', I feel like there might actually be some change in my body finally.

So I just started to try to loose the 5-6 lbs they want me to before surgery. I don't really have to do it now, but I'm working at a retreat next week, so I'd like to have a head start so I won't have to worry so much while I'm away. Today was pretty easy. I created a yummy pear-vanilla smoothie for breakfast and just ate lowfat all day. Came in way under calories, although a little hungry still. I should just go to bed, because at night I crave buttered popcorn or sweet cereal. Those would be okay once in a while, but this week I have a lot to prove to myself.

Freaking out? Yeah. I keep reminding myself of my gallbladder surgery. I closed my eyes, then opened them, and it was over. I just hate the waiting.

My husband has had VERY little problem eating. He eats everything he's been told he can't, thus, he has to be even more careful because he'd never lose weight if he wasn't really careful. I'm hoping for the same experience, but I've read all the horror stories too.

I haven't really told anyone I'm doing this. I don't want them to watch me, judging every bite I take, comparing me to my husband's success. I don't want people to say "oh, you had surgery" and assume that the weight just melted away without any work. I don't want the people telling me that I should have just worked harder at it (instead of surgery), or even thinking that. My husband says I'm missing out on support and prayer from friends and family, but I'm just not ready to do this in public.

So I'm here. Let's encourage each other. Convince me that I'm not the one person that this surgery might not work for. I'm committed to change... today. I may need some help tomorrow... or in May or June.

Thanks for being kind to my ramblings. I've never put my feelings out there before. It's a little scary.
  • jennihiggins
    Options
    Hi!!
    I'm Jenni. I was banded on June 26 2013. Four days ago. I feel a little better than I thought I would at this point of my recovery. Now that I actually feel like eating and drinking my meals again, I figured it was time to get back to FBP so I can keep track of my protein. I had no idea what to set my calorie intake for so I set it at a 1000 cal a day and then tweaked my percentages to show 75 gm of protein a day. I was told between 60-90 grams a day.
  • jenniangel23
    Options
    Hello all, I was banded on Feb 5, 2013 and it was the best decision of my life! I haven't really had any complications my biggest thing was looking for a support group specifically for Band patients. I am the only one I know that has a band most of the people at my work had Bypass, I tried talking to one of them who is close friend and knows I had surgery but she just doesn’t understand why our diets are so different and it's making me frustrated cause I can’t talk to anyone. The only people who know I had surgery are my Mom, boyfriend and few Select close friends. As I read some of the post I assume every Dr is different I got my first fill 6 week post-surgery and I've had a monthly fill ever since....is this normal? When do I stop getting fills? I've been really good in the weight loss area averaging 8-10 lbs. a month but now I think I've hit a plateau and have been the same weight for the past 2 weeks I'm trying not to obsess over it and weigh myself everyday but it's just frustrating eating right and no change.
    Anyway thanks for letting me rant a little bit I know it gets better and I’m looking forward to this new support system!
  • wannabe1959
    wannabe1959 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I was banded nov 30th 2012. I haven't regretted it at all. I have had some trouble, but only when I eat too much to fast, or the wrong thing. When I see that big warm yeast roll, sometimes I cant resist. but it doesn't go down well. As time has gone by, I am better at controlling what and how much I eat. Sometimes when Im eating with friends I don't even think about it and after a few bites I am in distress because the food wont go down. but that doesn't happen very often anymore. I have gone from 228 to 184. I haven't lost an ounce in sooo long before the band. I know this was the only way I could. My doctor is great. I have had 4 fills. He does a barium swallow every visit to check placement and restriction. I haven't told anyone but my husband. my mother doesn't even know. I kinda feel bad now, because everybody is noticing the wt loss and asking how Ive done it. but like the op,I didn't want people watching me everyday and questioning every bite I take. Go ahead and do it. I am so glad I did.
  • jackie77539
    jackie77539 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :smile: hello everyone I am new to this group, I was banded on March 8,2013 and have lost 32.4 lbs, I feel I am stuck at this current weight. I hope to make some good progress here and get back on track with my eating and excercising.
  • roxie1968
    roxie1968 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, Not sure if I've posted here or not. I was banded on July 23rd. Would love for you all to add me as a friend I can definitely use the accountability and friendship. So far I'm down 47 lbs but I've had a rough week.
  • wannabe1959
    wannabe1959 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This group isn't being very active. Lets talk some more.
  • silverboar
    silverboar Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear more stories, struggles & successes!
    I'm in the beginning pre-op stages & still scared that I will go through the entire surgery & it not be successful. My insurance requires that my weight, diet & exercise be monitored every month for 6 months! I'm on month 2 . . . 6 cannot get here quick enough! I have tossed & turned over Lap Band v. Gastric & i'm still just as confused.
    I liked what "lhammond5" had to say. Any other advice?
  • robiel
    robiel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'd like to hear more stories, struggles & successes!
    I'm in the beginning pre-op stages & still scared that I will go through the entire surgery & it not be successful. My insurance requires that my weight, diet & exercise be monitored every month for 6 months! I'm on month 2 . . . 6 cannot get here quick enough! I have tossed & turned over Lap Band v. Gastric & i'm still just as confused.
    I liked what "lhammond5" had to say. Any other advice?
  • robiel
    robiel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    whoops,,,it quoted you but didn't let me reply lol I went through the 6 month preop as well and I was banded on 1/31/14,,,all told I have lost about 57 lbs,,,im relearning how to eat and the idiosyncrasies of my band (which I named squishy lol) please feel free to add me as a friend,,,anyone :),,,

we can walk through the journey together
    robin
  • nebraskabrees
    Options
    Hello everyone I am new to this group, I was banded on 2-11-14 and so far I have had my first fill on 3-14-14 and still have hunger pangs but I can handle it so far. I have a 10 cc band and only took 2.5cc on my fill so I dont think I'm in the green zone yet. I have lost 34lbs. in 3 months so I'm really excited bout my new journey. I'm glad to be here with fellow bandsters.:happy: