Rob Ford

Options
SaintGiff
SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
Because this group looks like it's dead.... Rob Ford.... What does everyone think?

Replies

• Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    (If you don't have anything nice to say, blah blah blah) I guess he has put Toronto on the map!
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Because of him, I kinda feel embarrassed to be from Toronto.
    x_x
  • powerpuffgirl66
    powerpuffgirl66 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If he gets re-elected, I will seriously consider moving.
  • SaintGiff
    Options
    He is an embarrassment, for sure. But he actually may get re-elected. And if he does, the left and the media have no one to blame but themselves. This guy would have been one and done but his political opponents absolutely insist on turning every stupid thing his does into a situation that eventually makes him look like a victim. It's the exact same scenario as Obama in the U.S. He really is a horrible president once you get past the cult of personality, but the conservatives in America have handled his presidency so poorly that they look even worse by comparison.
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Betelguese!

And guess who's back in the news. Sigh.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    He is an embarrassment, for sure. But he actually may get re-elected. And if he does, the left and the media have no one to blame but themselves. This guy would have been one and done but his political opponents absolutely insist on turning every stupid thing his does into a situation that eventually makes him look like a victim. It's the exact same scenario as Obama in the U.S. He really is a horrible president once you get past the cult of personality, but the conservatives in America have handled his presidency so poorly that they look even worse by comparison.

i completely agree-- as an dual (us/can) citizen.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

I completely disagree. If I smoked crack my family would disown me, and not invite me to holiday meals. But Rob Ford, he's the man to their conservative *kitten*!

He does not look like a victim at all, at least not to me. Victim of the media? Sure! But he is the mayor. That is like saying most celebrities are victims. No sympathy for this man at all. He is an upper class, let's put down the lower class, kind of guy. He will get voted back in, but not because of the left, but because the right has their rich fancy blinders on.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    BTW, if you think he was voted in because of rich Torontonians you are completely incorrect. He won because of Scarborough

^^^^Totally this. Not that I wear rich fancy blinders but I certainly know of no one who voted for him and I thought it was commonly known that it was Scarborough that voted him in.

And he is in no way upper class. Yes he comes from a family with money but money can't buy you class.
  • SaintGiff
    Options
    I think y'all are wrong, lol. Yes, he was voted in mainly by the middle class donut. You can't claim that Ford is a tool of the rich when the person leading the charge against him is one of the wealthiest, most influential, and most elite Torontonians ( Adam Vaughan ). The whole conservatives = wealthy argument breaks down completely in this case.

I absolute do blame the liberals for making him look good. For starters, it's almost impossible in this city to separate "the liberals" from "the media". There is so much inbreeding between the two in this city that to pretend there isn't bias is simply intellectually dishonest.

The reason that Ford remains so popular is that every time he fails at something the attacks are over the top. This is exactly the same situation as Obama in the U.S. Ford said he wanted to lose weight, made it a goal, and then went off his diet. BFD. We have all done that. Rather than have it be a mention somewhere in the back of a newspaper it was the lead story on CP24 for a week! That's insane it made a lot of people who didn't really care either way see him as a victim.

The whole impeachment thing over the charity was just stupid. Really, it was stupid. It was the liberals and the media desperately trying to make a mountain out of a molehill and Ford came out once again looking like a victim. In that case it was warranted as the whole thing really felt like petty persecution from a group of elites ( led, of course, by Adam Vaughan ).

With the crack thing Ford caught a tremendous break in that the story dragged out so very long that by the time the video surfaced no one cared. Had the video popped in the first week or two of the story it may have been different. Had the media not already beat the "Ford is bad" drum into the ground with stupid stories about his weight and the charity thing, he would have easily been run out of office. Easily. Instead, it was impossible to get rid of the guy.

Again, all of this parallels Obama in the U.S. Both are very poor leaders who have no business in office. Both engage in rampant cronyism in efforts to hide the fact that they are in way over their heads. Both are surrounded by a cult of personality that will defend them regardless of the amount of mental gymnastics required to do so. And in both cases, their opposition erected so many straw men that when actual problems arose the center, where every election is ultimately won or lost, had heard so many false or overblown accusations that they had simply stopped listening.

So, yeah... Ford may get re-elected. And if he does it WILL be the fault of this city's liberals. No, not the actual street-level liberals. Not the voters with liberal views. But the "liberal elite" that are so firmly entrenched in this city. Those liberals created Rob Ford. He is their Frankenstein. And for reasons I cannot fathom they keep feeding him.
  • SaintGiff
    Options
    They do. Until you ask them to compare him to the alternatives.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    he was a jeopardy clue!
  • anna_b1
    anna_b1 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Ford's biggest problem is his inability to take any degree of ownership for his obvious transgressions. Clearly, this guy is a trainwreck, but it's always someone else causing the problem and nitpicking.

He could have played this differently and come closer to being the hero he sees himself to be. Had he admitted he had substance abuse issues and went to get some serious professional help, he could have somewhat more viable mayoral candidate in the October race. After all, who doesn't love a good prodigal son or an intriguing comeback story? Instead, he denies, deflects and points fingers at anyone but himself and, because he clearly still has some major issues with alcohol/poor judgment/drugs he continues to get himself into serious trouble.

Moreover, he refuses to even admit that if he's loaded and there's a city-wide emergency, he would be no good to the city whatsoever. And he denies what horrible choices he's made in "friends". He's a walking disaster.

His ego-driven belief in his "Teflon" exterior will hurt him big time. He deserves his come-uppance too. In fact, it may be the best thing for him.
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch the debate tonight, but I heard it was classic Ford all the way.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch the debate tonight, but I heard it was classic Ford all the way.

Best Quote from Olivia "Just because you keep repeating it doesn't make it true"
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    He's so embarrassing and a mess imo. I live in the GTA, but I love the city because I was born there. I will say this though, he's very persistent and doesn't give up easily lol
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I hated him at first but then I decided to stop getting mad about politics because people will keep voting for stupid people and their interests only so... Plus come on, he speaks Patois!!