gaining weight after thyroid cancer

Options
I had thyroid cancer last summer. I had surgery In July and raidation in September. Since then I keep gaining weight no matter what I do. My doctor tells my levels are where they need to be and it had nothing to do with weight gain. I then asked him why alot of people online say they have had weight gain. He then said those type of people are just looking for a higher dose to loose weight and thats why they complain about it. I know that this is not the case because I am dealing with it first hand. Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• OodKerry
    OodKerry Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi!
    I was diagnosed in July 2006, total thyroidectomy that month, radiation in August. I gained weight steadily for a couple of years, honestly. My endocrinologist, though, said that it was normal (as did my current endocrine oncologist - and he's kinda the guy who wrote the protocols for treating thyroid cancer, so he knows what he's talking about!).

Be patient with yourself and your body. This may not happen to everyone, but it is common. The organ that regulates your metabolism was removed, and it takes time for your body to adjust to that. In the meantime, you have to try to be as healthy as you can be. Don't take it as a license to eat junk.... (not that I think you are, I'm just projecting what I did.)

Hugs!