Couch to 5k ... to 10k?

Options
shazbox1
shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
I started running about 2 months ago and am nearing the end of the couch-to-5k program. Now I am trying to decide what to do after I have completed. My first thought was to just keep running 5k regularly until it's less of a struggle of sorts then move onto the 10k training app. I also thought that I could just continue on the 10k training app, because the first 8 weeks of that are equivalent to the 5k program. I am thinking that immediately continuing on the 10k program might be rushing it and may lead to injury... At the same time, I thought parts of the 5k program seemed ludicrous when I first saw them and I have finished every workout without a problem, so maybe I just need to keep pushing.

Any advice? Thoughts on whether going from never running to running an hour or more straight in 3 months is a good idea?

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your level of fitness was when you started. It sounds like the 5k program wasn't too difficult for you so you might have had a base level of fitness that was higher than the typical 5Ker.

One key to avoiding injury is to have a solid running-based strength training program. I haven't had a running-induced injury since I began doing serious strength training 18 months ago, despite running 50-70 miles a week.

I think as long as you are doing that -- and are willing to back off on the running if signs of an injury to start creeping in -- it would be fine to start targeting longer distances.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your level of fitness was when you started. It sounds like the 5k program wasn't too difficult for you so you might have had a base level of fitness that was higher than the typical 5Ker.

One key to avoiding injury is to have a solid running-based strength training program. I haven't had a running-induced injury since I began doing serious strength training 18 months ago, despite running 50-70 miles a week.

I think as long as you are doing that -- and are willing to back off on the running if signs of an injury to start creeping in -- it would be fine to start targeting longer distances.

Solid advice. But I will add that sometimes it's a good idea to take a bit of a break from a training plan after completing a goal and just go with the flow for a couple of weeks. Maintain or even scale back your mileage and just run for the sake of running. Then you can jump back into the 10K plan where the 5K left off. For me it helps to repair both the body and the mind.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I went right from C25K to the Hal Higdon novice 10K program. Once I completed that I just focused on maintaining that for a couple of months over the winter. Recently I started increasing mileage again and am training for my first half.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    When I completed C25K two years ago, I went right into the Bridge 2 10K program - similar in pattern to C25K and designed to ... well... be a bridge from C25K to 10K distances.

By the end of that, I went right into a Hal Higdon half marathon plan and completed my first half marathon just about 7 months to the day after I started running. I've pretty much held at that level for the last 18 months. 13.1 miles is still my longest run ever.

The key is what Dave said... listen to your body. Take it slow in increasing the mileage and be willing to back off if aches and pains start to creep in. Better to cut back early and avoid a serious injury than injure yourself and be sidelined for weeks or months.
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I started running about 2 months ago and am nearing the end of the couch-to-5k program. Now I am trying to decide what to do after I have completed. My first thought was to just keep running 5k regularly until it's less of a struggle of sorts then move onto the 10k training app. I also thought that I could just continue on the 10k training app, because the first 8 weeks of that are equivalent to the 5k program. I am thinking that immediately continuing on the 10k program might be rushing it and may lead to injury... At the same time, I thought parts of the 5k program seemed ludicrous when I first saw them and I have finished every workout without a problem, so maybe I just need to keep pushing.

Any advice? Thoughts on whether going from never running to running an hour or more straight in 3 months is a good idea?

Others have given the good advice that you might want to chill for a bit and keep your current mileage for a month or so. That's a good idea.

Mind if I ask what your time was? Now if you rolled off the couch and ran a 21 minute 5K, then ignore the following....

You might want to try adding in one "speed" session a week to try to get faster. A lot of newer runners tend to think "farther" is the only way to move up, and decide they are destined to be "slow" runners. That's not the case for most people - I've heard most people can make improvements in their speed for EIGHT YEARS before age starts to catch up with them.

Increasing your speed can do a lot for you. First, if you run superfast for every single run, you can injure yourself, so keep "fast" runs to once a week for now. They can change your race experience immensely. It's super awesome to come in near the front of the pack! It will open up more races to you - some 10ks and half marathons do NOT cater to slower runners, and you might find aid stations closed up. It will open you up to being able to run with more people and different groups. You can run with a really fast person when they are on an "easy run" day, and run easy with a slow person when they are doing their "fast day". Your runs will be faster. This sounds dumb, but it starts to add up when you're out for 6 or more miles. You can get more miles in with the same amount of time.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I tried to run a half marathon 8 months after starting to run. Six weeks of a boot and a chronic AT problems has shown me the error of my ways :) Haha

There are a ton of program that can you build your base slowly and surely. S L O W L Y being the key word. It is more than just lungs and aerobic fitness that has to be built up-your bones, ligaments, tendons, muscles, all have to get used to running and the increases. So stay modest, start slow, and go from there.

After the boot (which in case you are wondering, worst 6 weeks of my life!!!), this is my stairstep of training:
    Couch to 5k
    Injury
    Couch to 5k again
    Hal Higdon Spring Training
    Maintenance for a whie
    Hal Higdon's Novice 1 for a Half

This all in all took 20 months. With the almost 2 month of breaks, I was in training 18 months for the race. I ran my first (and still my PR lol) at 1:59:19. Havent ever been able to touch it, and I think it is because I never have had such a great base for training since, I am usually pushing my mileage more than I should.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I did c25k between last June and August. Once complete, I just adopted a policy of running 2-3 times a week ,and never running less than that 5k. Once a week, I do a longer run, and I gradually increased the length of that (assuming I felt up to it), from 5k up to 10k. It took me a couple of months and I booked myself to do a 10k race to give me a focus. Once I'd done a couple of 10k races, I continued with my own plan, doing 1-2 5k's a week, plus one longer one (7-10k one week, then a gradually increasing longer one every other week). Again, I set myself a target by booking to do a Half Marathon, and I did that last week. I've really not found any problems with this plan at all and it got me from couch to HM in 9 months.
  • shazbox1
    shazbox1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice and information. I think I will chill at the 5k mark for a bit, especially since I hope the snow will be melted in the next few weeks and I can get out on my bike a few days a week as well. Then I can move onto the 10k program after I have adjusted to the running/biking/strength load.