Puréed

Heading into puréed food stage next week and I want to prepare this weekend when grocery shopping. I would appreciate any ideas, suggestions, and recipes.

Replies

• Makes 2 of us....I did find this on the web.............

http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics/diet/pureedentreesalads.cfm#q
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Pre made puréed foods are carb heavy, like all the baby food pouches. Get low sodium chicken broth and use it with cooked ground meat in your blender or processor. Canned soups are convenient but salt heavy and you want to avoid noodle , rice and potato soups. Lots of carbs brings on nausea from gastric dumping. I recommend using the chicken broth to blend up meat and veg dishes you already make at home. Roast chicken with corn, turkey with green beans, beef with broccoli, pork with squash. Etc. A favorite of mine was moo goo gai pan/ no rice of course. Drain off the gravy and process with some chicken broth. Make sure to purée it. Chicken likes to mat up
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    My wife made an OUTSTANDING Pot Roast, complete with a top shelf butcher cut and fresh vegitables. Then into the blender it went. The results were an amazing taste, great smell and pile of poop visual. Normally this would make me run very far and very fast from the table but not this time. After 3 weeks of liquids and puddings I loved it. Taste hit the spot. Protein content was great.

We did the same with home made chicken soup (her's has italian meatballs included). At that point I was not tracking in MFP but since the quantities were so low (about 4 fluid oz per meal) calories were not relevent, just protein and healing.

Hope this helps.
  • shoppinglady1972
    shoppinglady1972 Posts: 72 Member
    I did a LOT of Greek yogurt and cottage cheese (chewed very well) with pureed fruit - :laugh: I struggled with pureed meat - it was a texture thing :noway:
    Hope it's all going well for you!!
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    I did a lot of flavored canned or pouched tuna, salmon, chicken, turkey etc., pureed with very flavorful sauces and then heated up in the microwave with a bit of cheese to melt on top. Having just pureed chicken with chicken broth or something like that would have been a little gross to me, but if I doctored it up, it was really palatable. Just like a casserole but without the typical casserole filling like pasta or rice. I would say just walk the condiment and sauce aisle of the supermarket and find stuff you think you would like, but here are some examples of things I liked:
    spicy thai tuna + sriracha sauce + pepperjack cheese, lemon dill salmon + tartar sauce, turkey + peanut satay sauce + jack cheese, shrimp + remoulade + pecorino cheese, chicken + bbq sauce + cheddar cheese, chicken + marinara sauce + mozzarella cheese.
    For non meat options, I made Eggface's ricotta bake (I live alone - made a half recipe and it was still too much to finish before it went bad - Google for the recipe if you don't have it), cottage cheese or Greek yogurt (no sugar added) with PB2 or peanut butter stirred in, cottage cheese with hot sauce or other savory type sauce stirred in, refried beans with things like melted cheese, guacamole, salsa, and/or a poached egg, scrambled eggs with cheese -- I did fine with all of those. I was allowed high protein foods only -- other than a bit of something like guacamole, NO fruits or vegetables, and certainly nothing high carb like mashed potatoes, grits, oatmeal, or cream of wheat -- although I know some people are allowed to eat that sort of thing, I think that even if you are allowed, it's better to focus on protein. Good luck!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    One of my favorites was a receipe from my surgeon's office. 1/4 cup refried beans, 2 tbs salsa (you might need to strain or spuree this) and 2 tbs shredded cheese. Mix it up and microwave until the cheese melts, Add a 1 tbs of plain greek yogurt if you like sour cream on your mexican. It really tastes great and yes, plain greek yogory has the taste and consistency of sour cream. And when you get to the soft food stage I've got a great east receipe for no noodle lasagna. Message me.
  • apelilag
    apelilag Posts: 30
    Thanks for all the great ideas! Your recipes along with my docs I should be all
    set for this stage!