Outted as a Vegan to my Senior Staff...

Options
VeganMotoGirl
VeganMotoGirl Posts: 43 Member
My company had lunch called in from a local BBQ place for some visiting clients. I opted to just bring my tea to the meeting and eat my own lunch later. But my boss decided to make me explain to a conference room full of executives why I am a Vegan and not eating the 'delicious meat'. ...Wow...That would have been nerve-racking enough, but then the first question from our VP's mouth was "Then what do you eat?" ... How do you tell someone 5 levels about the food pyramid and the other food groups without sounding condescending?

I think I handled it gracefully. I just said that there are still lots of things I like to eat, and named the main groups they would know (fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, and grains ect). I explained how I even made Vegan Macaroni and Cheese last night. They still all looked at me like I was a weirdo while they sank into their big plates of charred flesh and vegetables soaked in bovine secretion in its various forms. Blah. The longer I am vegan the more I am repulsed by the foods I used to eat. I am not judging that room full of meat eaters, I am no better than any one else. And I don't want to offend anyone. I guess I will need to bring a cup of coffee or something with a stronger smell to help me get past the meat smells next time.

How would you have handled your self? Do you have a speech prepared for when you are asked about your choice to be a Vegan. I have never been put on the spot before and I realized I was not prepared the way I should have been.

Replies

• BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    "They still all looked at me like I was a weirdo while they sank into their big plates of charred flesh and vegetables soaked in bovine secretion in its various forms." Ha! Love it!!

Honestly, I don't know how I would handle that, it hasn't been anything I've had to deal with up to now. I've had to explain my eating habits to a few people, but not anyone like that!
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would have talked about it. So far I've only said "my doctor recommended a plant-based diet to me because of health concerns so I am doing my best to stick to it".

Sigh ......... I wish meat disgusted me. Slaughterhouses disgust me, but the sight and smell of meat do not, and sometimes I'm tempted.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    How extremely rude of your boss to put you on the spot like that. I would have said that I'm vegan by personnal preference. Nobody else's business!
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would have talked about it. So far I've only said "my doctor recommended a plant-based diet to me because of health concerns so I am doing my best to stick to it".

Sigh ......... I wish meat disgusted me. Slaughterhouses disgust me, but the sight and smell of meat do not, and sometimes I'm tempted.

I don't think you should feel guilty about not finding meat disgusting. I was vegan a while ago and just came back to it. I was never disgusted by it. Probably because, and I'm hating that I'm saying it here, but I've butchered animals and hunted and fished, so I saw the disgusting side of producing meat so much that I'm desensitized to it. That doesn't mean I don't find all of this wrong. It just doesn't affect me like other vegans I know.
  • BigVeggieDream
    BigVeggieDream Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    How extremely rude of your boss to put you on the spot like that. I would have said that I'm vegan by personnal preference. Nobody else's business!

I totally agree.
  • VeganMotoGirl
    Options
    If I it was left up to me I would not have said a thing but I was put on the spot in front of not only my company executives but a high profile client. I had to play nice. Another friend here on MFP compared it to discriminating against someone who chooses not to eat pork or beef for religious reasons like Jews and Hindus. They would never have made them explain why they choose not to eat those animals. But vegans are seen as hippies and nature freaks who just need to be told that they are confused and they will see that they still need to eat meat.

The idea of meat is not appetizing to me when i think about how it got to the table and how many chemicals, hormones, spices and sauces were added to it to make tasty for humans. The smells of cooked meats still get me some times. My husband is still a meat eater, though not as much anymore since I do most of the cooking at home. I try not to push my decision on him or anyone else because it is very personal.

I am not an activist like the vegan stereotype would make me out to be. I am still a pretty new vegan and even if I wanted to spread the word about all the benefits of going vegan. I will discuss my beliefs and decision to go vegan with someone, one on one if they are honestly interested. Otherwise the fact that I am a vegan is on a need-to-know status and even then very vague. Like a few of you have already said: Its no ones business!
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan to help stop animal exploitation, not because I don't like the taste of animal products. I loved eggs, and burgers, and chicken....but to kill something or harm something just to satisfy my appetite when I can survive without? No way. Why would I do that?

I get put on the spot a lot at work, and get jokingly made fun of..... Really you just need to say something short and sweet. Something like, "I've chosen to go vegan because I don't believe in the way we are treating animals" or "I'm vegan because it's a healthier choice for my life."

You shouldn't have to feel ashamed or anything, but I know that you're newer to this lifestyle, so it's going to be weird and make you uncomfortable. But you're going to have to get used to it and come up with some responses in your arsenal. People are jerks when you're forcing them to question their morals. ;) good luck!
  • veganbettie
    Options
    hard thing is you don't want to get into a political debate at work you know? Gotta keep it short and sweet.
  • VeganMotoGirl
    Options
    I'm vegan to help stop animal exploitation, not because I don't like the taste of animal products. I loved eggs, and burgers, and chicken....but to kill something or harm something just to satisfy my appetite when I can survive without? No way. Why would I do that?

I get put on the spot a lot at work, and get jokingly made fun of..... Really you just need to say something short and sweet. Something like, "I've chosen to go vegan because I don't believe in the way we are treating animals" or "I'm vegan because it's a healthier choice for my life."

You shouldn't have to feel ashamed or anything, but I know that you're newer to this lifestyle, so it's going to be weird and make you uncomfortable. But you're going to have to get used to it and come up with some responses in your arsenal. People are jerks when you're forcing them to question their morals. ;) good luck!

Thank you for your advice. I agree that I need a short concise response that will satisfy their prying questions but keep it Politically correct enough for work.

I initially made the choice to go vegan for health reasons. But in my reading I learned about the meat industry more and more. Now I would say I am in it for the animals just as much as I am for my health. I did not want to be part of the system that tortures animals for their hormone laden flesh that is slowly poising the population with artery clogging fats and cancer causing chemicals. But you can't really say that when the 10 people around you are enjoying their BBQ.

As you pointed out, I'm sure I will experience this type of situation again. And now I will be prepared. I should have expected it sooner. I do not want to seem embarrassed or ashamed of my choice to be vegan. I am proud of my choice and I hope that I can be a good example to others of what a vegan can me. But baby steps... one thing at a time.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    When most people ask me why I'm vegan I start by talking about the realities of factory farming because most people can grasp that. Then I expand it into my firm belief in anti-speciesism: I don't believe we should have ownership and control over the lives of any living beings.

BUT work is tricky because you don't want to alienate yourself. When I first started my current job I would keep it to a simple answer "because I love animals". I've worked here for over a year so I've had questions or comments and I address them accordingly. For example, yesterday someone said to me that they noticed that their lotion was vegan and cruelty-free and I used it as an opportunity to explain animal-testing. Otherwise I just keep my opinions to myself and let people come to me when they want to learn something.
  • veganbettie
    Options
    Seems like you have it all figured out OP!! It's all just getting used to it all. Being vegan is one of my proudest accomplishments, but it took me a while to find a balance and learn how to handle people.
  • eleqtriq
    eleqtriq Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I applaud your restraint. I'm a pretty laid back guy but I would of gotten angry. I would of replied with snark and something like, "You're telling me all you eat is meat? No? So there are other things to eat? So what are you asking me?"

Seriously, it's the first thing that popped in my mind.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Your boss is a creep--but the way the job market is there isn't much you can do about it. I think you handled yourself extremely well.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    My company had lunch called in from a local BBQ place for some visiting clients. I opted to just bring my tea to the meeting and eat my own lunch later. But my boss decided to make me explain to a conference room full of executives why I am a Vegan and not eating the 'delicious meat'. ...Wow...That would have been nerve-racking enough, but then the first question from our VP's mouth was "Then what do you eat?" ... How do you tell someone 5 levels about the food pyramid and the other food groups without sounding condescending?

I think I handled it gracefully. I just said that there are still lots of things I like to eat, and named the main groups they would know (fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds, and grains ect). I explained how I even made Vegan Macaroni and Cheese last night. They still all looked at me like I was a weirdo while they sank into their big plates of charred flesh and vegetables soaked in bovine secretion in its various forms. Blah. The longer I am vegan the more I am repulsed by the foods I used to eat. I am not judging that room full of meat eaters, I am no better than any one else. And I don't want to offend anyone. I guess I will need to bring a cup of coffee or something with a stronger smell to help me get past the meat smells next time.

How would you have handled your self? Do you have a speech prepared for when you are asked about your choice to be a Vegan. I have never been put on the spot before and I realized I was not prepared the way I should have been.

you sound like an awesome person. Just let your personality be :) I for one do not care what people say. I am doing CrossFit and as a vegan. I been waiting for someone to ask, judge, or degrade me. I guess since I am a confident person, people's views do not bother me. Hey, this could be a way to shed light to some... and even if you touch one person, job well done. Just DO what you feel is right :)
  • vegwrangler
    vegwrangler Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I will need to bring a cup of coffee or something with a stronger smell to help me get past the meat smells next time.

Harney & Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice tea is a perfect retaliation for situations such as this. It will fill the room with warmth and cinnamon-clove goodness, I have never brought a cup to a meeting without at least one person asking for a cup of their own.

You handled this with loads of grace and tact. I'm still conjuring up my own personal speech, but luckily my community is incredibly vegan friendly and people don't seem to care (thank goodness).