Study: Active Moms Influence Children to be Active

Options
This came from Runners World.

Mothers who run may not only improve their own health, but the health of their children. Mothers who run may not only improve their own health, but the health of their children. A recent study finds that mothers who are physically active are likely to have children who are also active.

The study, conducted by researchers from Cambridge and Southhampton universities, showed that, “The more activity a mother did, the more active her child,” Kathryn Hesketh, who co-led the study, said in a BBC news report. “Although it is not possible to tell from this study whether active children were making mothers run around after them, it is likely that activity in one of the pair influences activity in the other.”

To conduct the study, researchers had 554 4-year-olds and their mothers wear lightweight heart-rate monitors/accelerometers on their chest for up to seven days.

According to the BBC report, the study showed that for every minute the mother was moderately-to-vigorously active, the child was likely to engage in 10 percent more of the same level of activity. "If a mother was one hour less sedentary per day, her child may have spent 10 minutes less sedentary per day," the report said. "Such small minute-by-minute differences therefore represents a non-trival amount of activity over the course of a week, month and year."

It also stated that every hour of sendentary time in mothers would result in 10.8 minutes of sedentary time for children.

The study found that only 53 percent of the mothers engaged in 30 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity at least once a week. Whether or not the mother worked or if the child had brothers or sister could influence the mother's activity level.

The study concludes that encouraging mothers to be more active will likely increase the activity of their children.

"Providing targeted interventions for mothers of young children may increase both groups’ activity," the report says.

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well I think this is just common sense. Did they really need to do a study on it!? Obviously if the mom is out doing stuff the kids will mimic that behaviour. Likewise if mom sits on the couch eating Doritos all day what do you think the kids will be doing?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I'm posting this to the 10k group. A LOT of us are seeing real wins in that arena.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    The more fit I got, the more active my children became.

When I was heavier, my kids kinda puttered around the house. When I started training for half marathons, my older 2 kids would ride their bikes with me as I pushed the stroller.

Currently, my kids are 11, 9, and 6.

My youngest was scooter'ing 4 miles when she had just turned 5. My older 2 have cycled up to 17 miles with me (family bike ride), my youngest was tandem with me.
    This last Saturday, we did a family activity: I ran (slowly) 9 miles while my kids rode their bikes, my youngest recently learned to ride without training wheels so did the whole thing.
    I have started teaching my kids about strategic fueling, and even mid-exercise nutrition.

Has anyone else noticed that as their kids get more fit with us, that they are less likely to need actual discipline because their behavior is better?
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Well I think this is just common sense. Did they really need to do a study on it!? Obviously if the mom is out doing stuff the kids will mimic that behaviour. Likewise if mom sits on the couch eating Doritos all day what do you think the kids will be doing?

yep you are right, but you know everything has to have a scientific study behind it for people to believe it LOL!!!
  • RunConquerCelebrate
    RunConquerCelebrate Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    The more fit I got, the more active my children became.

When I was heavier, my kids kinda puttered around the house. When I started training for half marathons, my older 2 kids would ride their bikes with me as I pushed the stroller.

Currently, my kids are 11, 9, and 6.

My youngest was scooter'ing 4 miles when she had just turned 5. My older 2 have cycled up to 17 miles with me (family bike ride), my youngest was tandem with me.
    This last Saturday, we did a family activity: I ran (slowly) 9 miles while my kids rode their bikes, my youngest recently learned to ride without training wheels so did the whole thing.
    I have started teaching my kids about strategic fueling, and even mid-exercise nutrition.

Has anyone else noticed that as their kids get more fit with us, that they are less likely to need actual discipline because their behavior is better?

I have I gained a lot of weight after I had my second kid. When I started working out my kids would watch and than little by little they would imitate what I was doing with weights or workouts. We have some cute videos of them "working out" But now that they are older my 6 year old and 4 year old both have shown interest in running. They love to come up with their own workouts and say they are working out.

As Moms or Dads it is our job to set good examples for our kids. So it is awesome to see them doing the same thing
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm not a mom, but I am shelling out money for running shoes for my son and another $25 for an entry fee so he can run a kids run on Saturday. He claims to want to do this if he has actual running shoes, and I suppose he's being legit since he only has Vans and DC's currently. We'll see how long this lasts.

Oh, and mom did a HM 4 years ago and bought him a shirt. She doesn't run now because of some seizure nonsense and she likes to drink, smoke, and dine out all the time. Good thing she wasn't in the study :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Woo Hoo, Doug! I just had the "lights make me faster" convo with my daughter, but I got her into some New Balances based on the fact that they have the first letter of her name on the side.
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    One of my daughters decided she wants to run a 5k since she sees her dad and I out running all the time. And she wants to win her age group. She's 6. She has been super disciplined about training, running at least 4 nights a week. She's up to 2 miles non stop. Her big sister also wants to learn to run but is mostly about getting new shoes and cute running clothes. She's 8. But hey, I can't blame her I love new shoes too!! And a huge benefit of all this has been that my 6 year old who has been just a terrible eater her whole life is A. working up a good appetite and B. is very interested in what kinds of food make her run faster. (Vegetables, of course!)
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Not sure why it has to be just Moms in the study, but, I suppose most parenting things go that way.

At any rate, my 7 year old proudly came home the other day with a backpack full of waivers/permission slips because she has decided to join the running club at her school - with a goal race of running the 2.6 mile super run that takes place during the marathon that I'll be running.

Her actions (and because I'll already be out on course) have motivated her dad to train with and do the race with her.

Everyone wins!

She is begging me for running clothes, and to go on runs together.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    My kids (11 and 14) definitely became more active when I started running. My 11 year old is now training for his first half marathon and plans to do it this summer. (He can already run 10 miles.)

My kids influence me, too. If it wasn't for my kids, I'd spend a lot more Saturday mornings sleeping in, instead of getting up for our running club or scheduled races!
  • CathOh
    CathOh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love studies that "prove" what seems to be obvious or common sense things, too :-P

I've always been active, so it's all my daughter has ever known. I've done so many sporting activities with her, either with her in a backpack carrier, attached to my bike, in a running stroller, or actually doing them herself alongside me. I've cross-country skied, snowshoed, hiked, cycled, run, kayaked, canoed... She's five years old now and has run two 1k events (I ran alongside her) and she's sat in the running stroller while I've run a number of 5- and 10k events. She's a willing participant either way.

They have some really amazing running and triathlete events and programs for children at some of the larger events. This year she will do a half marathon - she will cover 20k over a certain period of time before race day, and then cover the last 1.1km on race day. There are Kids of Steel (duathlon and triathlon) events as well. She's as excited about doing these events as I am to see her doing them :-)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Not sure why it has to be just Moms in the study, but, I suppose most parenting things go that way.

Totally. It makes me CRAZY that all the "parenting" magazines have make-up tips.
  • chribro
    chribro Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My wife and myself both run and my (soon to be) 4 year old has asked us to enter him into a race, so whilst I run the MK Marathon my wife and the little one will be racing in the 1.5m Super Hero Race!!!! Does that prove the point?
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm a mom of a three-year-old boy, and he is one of my biggest motivations. He's already come to several of my races (sometimes as a spectator and sometimes as a participant) and it's important for me to expose him to lots of physical activity.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Um...yeah. Duh!
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Gee, I wonder for how many this is inherited?