Twenty-Third Day of Lent - Friday - Mar 28

HealthFitNow
HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
Meditation
The Twenty-Third Day of Lent continues with the story of King Saul, in the Old Testament lesson. The prophet Samuel confronted him with his failure to obey, and he responded by fixing the blame on his underlings. Today’s lesson takes it one step further. King Saul goes further suggesting he was using the animals that his soldiers pillaged for sacrifices. And Samuel asked the key point—“Do you think God prefers a show of worship (sacrifice) or obedience to what God asks us to do?
King Saul said, “I failed to do what God asked, but…”
I learned early on that whenever you use the word “but” in a sentence that it negates everything said before it.
In effect, he said, “Those people—the soldiers—they pillaged and I was afraid to go against them. I didn’t want to disappoint them. So I failed—because of them.” Again, King Saul sidestepped the real issue.
He chose to disobey.
Samuel told Saul that God was rejecting him as king, because Saul rejected God. Saul grabs onto Samuel’s robe and it tears. Samuel used it as a visual lesson. Just as the robe was torn, so was Saul going to be torn from the office of King. Saul apologized. Like a child trying to manipulate a parent, or a politician trying to manipulate constituents, Saul asked Samuel to protect his image in front of the people—the elders of the Kingdom of Israel.
King Saul’s focus was more on the outward appearance—the vestiges of royalty—instead of a heart attitude to please God. Samuel accommodated Saul by returning with him and allowing him to worship—but I don’t get the sense of Saul’s actual sorrow for his disobedience. I get a sense more of ‘sorrow at getting caught’ than true confession.
What might have happened if a strong light was shone on Saul’s actions? The New Testament epistle to the church in Ephesus encourages them to walk as children of light.
This makes me think of a colleague in the U S Navy, a Catholic priest, who spoke of the importance of living above the shadow line. What is the shadow line? Picture a line drawn in the sand. On one side is good;, the other evil. Stand on the line with the sun behind you and look at your shadow. Step away from the line into the good half until your shadow falls on the same side as you—without touching the line. Draw a parallel line at that point. That line is the shadow line.
Now, this is not a law, but a guide, so we should never make it a Pharisaical rule. However, if you live where even your shadow falls within the line of good (vs evil) then your image will take on the attitude that pleases Christ. The chaplain said, if you show up right on the dot of the hour, when work begins, your shadow may fall on the side of being late…because everyone’s clock/watches are different. Your boss’s watch may be ahead of time. However, getting to work early means you can’t be seen as being late.
The chapter in Ephesians is about living a pure life—above the shadow line. Be pure. Be kind. Do good. Be humble. Be generous. Be loving. Do what pleases God.
The light of God can shine on us and we can please him by living in righteousness, goodness, love and truth.
Even though all our good is still like dirty rags, we can show how Christians are about love, kindness and truth. We are not called to be nasty, hostile and false (which I feel too many Christians on TV doing). I am not their judge, but I am saddened when people reject God for these types of hypocrisies and false doctrines of hate. We are to be about living our lives for God. Join me in a walk above the shadow line.
Thanks be to God.
All Scriptures printed below are in King James Version for copyright purposes. However, clicking on the verse locations will take you to Biblegateway.com where the text is linked to more contemporary versions.

Prayer: Almighty God, Open my eyes that I might see. Open my mind that I might understand. Open my heart that I might make your words a part of me. May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight. Amen

Season of Lent Bible Readings
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm 23;1 Samuel 15:22-31;Ephesians 5:1-9&version=KJV;ERV;GNT;NCV;NIV (multiple versions)

Twenty-Third Day of Lent
Psalm 23
1 Samuel 15:22-31
Ephesians 5:1-9

Daily Bible Verses to Memorize for Meditating
The “Shepherd’s Psalm” is worth memorizing in its whole, but at least verses 1 -3.

Psalm 23
King James Version (KJV)
23 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Single Bible Study chapter to study

1 Samuel 15:22-31
King James Version (KJV)
22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
23 For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.
24 And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice.
25 Now therefore, I pray thee, pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD.
26 And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel.
27 And as Samuel turned about to go away, he laid hold upon the skirt of his mantle, and it rent.
28 And Samuel said unto him, The LORD hath rent the kingdom of Israel from thee this day, and hath given it to a neighbour of thine, that is better than thou.
29 And also the Strength of Israel will not lie nor repent: for he is not a man, that he should repent.
30 Then he said, I have sinned: yet honour me now, I pray thee, before the elders of my people, and before Israel, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD thy God.
31 So Samuel turned again after Saul; and Saul worshipped the LORD.

OBSERVE:

Take a moment and write three observations of the verses. What strikes you? An observation is an observable fact from the Word.

INTERPRETATION:

What do you interpret these verses to mean for you today?

APPLY:

Today, I learned _____________________________________and apply it to my life.

Prayer of Encouragement

Almighty God, forgive our sins. Help us to see ourselves, own our wrong and give it to you. When we confess our sins you have promised to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. We praise your name. Amen

Conclusion
The Twenty-Third Day of Lent challenges us to live our lives with purity, goodness, righteousness and truth. We must be above the shadow line, so we don’t lead non-believers or new believers astray. Despite our inability to live as we ought; to please God with our perfection, if we turn our hearts to God and seriously confess our sins, as King David did, we can hope to be men and women after God’s own heart—pleasing him by our sincerest desire to bring him honor and glory. We are not to be like King Saul, who set up a monument to himself (in yesterday’s lesson) and then blamed his soldiers for his disobedience and finally, begged ‘forgiveness’ from Samuel, so he could save face (perhaps more than truly feeling sorrow?) with the elders. Sad. I submit God was sad, too.
But we can live above the shadow line, for God’s name sake as the Psalmist says in the 23rd Psalm (Shepherd’s Psalm). Vs 3 “He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.”
I pray that every day I don’t bring displeasure to God, nor do God a disservice by my actions. I challenge you to do the same.
Go out and be ready for God to do mighty things in your life.*
Thank you for visiting ChapLynne’s Daily Encouragement and Bible Study. God bless you.
*If you do not know the Lord as your personal Savior and you are seeking, please contact me. A genuine and simple prayer, asking God into your heart for the forgiveness of your sins will also do.

Replies

• MissSharon2013
    MissSharon2013 Posts: 536 Member
    I know that I fall short often. But I ask God to help me. I pray for God's continual hand in my life. My husband and I read in Kings how one king after another worshipped Baal and caused their children to be sacrificed. And God would punish them every time, yet they still continued on their own stubborn paths! I don't want to he stubborn, knowing better but still doing my own thing!