Twenty-Fourth Day of Lent - Saturday - Mar 29

Options
HealthFitNow
HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
Meditation
The Twenty-Third Day of Lent examines that which gives us direction—the prophet Samuel directs King Saul to kill the King Agag of the Amalekites, with the words that as he had made women childless, so would his mother be made childless.

We already learned that King Saul failed to destroy the animals and then tried to cover it up and shift blame from himself. This disobedience cost Saul the Kingdom. I used to wonder why God stressed that some should be wiped out—man, woman, child and beast. A small reading of history explains the importance of annihilating an enemy that is particularly grievous. Saul’s leniency resulted in the rise of Agag’s heir, Haman, that we read about in Esther. He was bent on revenge against all Jews.
Additionally, science teaches us that animals carry diseases. Think of the bird flu, mad cow disease and salmonella in chicken, trichinosis from pork etc. The Jews lived by specific laws that seemed to strengthen their health and keep them distinct from the non-Jews around them. The sheep might have seemed fine, to Saul’s non-scientific assessment, but God would have known if these animals carried diseases that could have undermined the Kingdom of Israel.

We learn how diseases carried from culture to culture results in annihilation of whole communities. The Mayan people died from illness more than Spanish soldiers fighting.

So we must trust that God’s telling the prophet to annihilate a culture/community had more to it than a whimsical off-with-their-heads attitude of some queens in history.

God promises to watch over us, to guide us in the right ways, if we obey. The New Testament lesson affirms that in the Gospel of John. In the beginning of time God already existed (hence we say God is outside of space and time)…and the Word was with God (the voice of God that orders the Big Bang and separates galaxies and sends the elements spinning into suns/stars and separates the light and darkness; the waters and the land…forming the billions of solar systems (some like ours) and organizing them into systems that can produce life with planets that protect that life system from the showers of space debris. A study of science expands the greatness of God considerably. Before 14 billion years ago, God existed with the Word and the Word WAS God. Now we have the two parts of the Trinity.

All things were made by him. I am a Theistic evolutionist. I believe the truth of this verse. God created, but creation has been amazingly consistent. There is life and death cycles built into everything—from elements to stones; single cells to great oak trees, stars and planets, All have a designed plan from beginning to end. I am still ignorant of enormous amounts of scientific discoveries. But I celebrate every one, for I know that science is God made and all things conform to God’s Word. Not human perceptions of Creationism, which limits God to the ridiculous and such a small God, but goes contrary to the very structures that God has created. Science cannot go against God. Science was God’s creation.

ALL was created by God.

Hence science was created by God. Our study of science reveals more about God’s design to us. We do God a disservice by suggesting that the Bible disproves science. Quite the contrary. Science should be led by Christians seeking the ways that God reveals an amazing design from the rules of gravity to electro-magnetism and the minutia of quantum theory to astro-physics which plunges us into space.

God designed it, so our study of it should reveal more about God.

If I were to design a costume and sew things, glue things and add things, people could assess more about me. If people took the costume and limited all things about me to that one aspect of my creation, it is the same thing that six-earth-days creationists do to God.

But the Gospel of John seeks to expand our understanding of God and Jesus. Jesus is Light. Light brings clarity and awareness. But, the apostle says, darkness won’t ‘get it’—won’t be able to understand the way that light expands our knowledge, expands our understanding.

In the Navy, we would sail at night, ostensibly in disguise. At dusk, we ‘darkened ship’ which meant we closed all hatches (doors) and portholes (windows) and turned off all external lights except the running lights (mast-white, port-red and starboard-green lights) which would let ships know whether we were heading toward them or away from them and who had the right of way. Still the darkness disguised the specific type of ship we were. Lights clarify. Darkness disguises.
Christ is light for us. The true light (not John the Baptist, who was a witness to Christ being our light) would give light to everyone in the world. Of course, we can misinterpret and deny Christ and choose for ourselves to follow the darkness. Those in darkness didn’t and still don’t ‘get’ God. We must open our hearts and minds to learn the truth. People (even Christians) can close their minds and spread darkness.

My heart has ached after listening to story upon story by people hurt by Christians. Christian pastors/priests sexually abusing children. Church leaders, who like the Pharisees that Jesus railed against, have malicious hearts while claiming self-righteous adherence to ‘laws’ of the church.

One of the beautiful things about Pope Francis is how he aims Light on the poor, on the disenfranchised. For a church that has suffered through scandals of not meeting the needs of the poor, he has demonstrated a heart for church leaders “smelling like the flock.”

While in the Navy, I came home from my first day on the carrier, USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) to a fancy dinner prepared by my chef-husband. As I ate, I asked him if he had worked on the car, because everything smelled like fuel. He said, “No.” That was when I realized my hands smelled of JP- –jet fuel, because I had wandered about the ship visiting as many departments that I could. After one day, I smelled just like the sailors I served. That ministry of presence gave military personnel a comfort-level to stop me in the passageways or the hanger bays. Our ministry could shine the light on problems and it did.
Christ is the way. Christ is the light. Shining the light gives everyone a chance to learn, grow and become his/her best.
Thanks be to God..

All Scriptures printed below are in King James Version for copyright purposes. However, clicking on the verse locations will take you to Biblegateway.com where the text is linked to more contemporary versions.

Prayer: Almighty God, Open my eyes that I might see. Open my mind that I might understand. Open my heart that I might make your words a part of me. May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be acceptable in your sight. Amen

Season of Lent Bible Readings
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm 23;1 Samuel 15:22-31;Ephesians 5:1-9&version=KJV;ERV;GNT;NCV;NIV (multiple versions)

Twenty-Fourth Day of Lent
Psalm 23
1 Samuel 15:32-34
John 1:1-9

Daily Bible Verses to Memorize for Meditating
The “Shepherd’s Psalm” is worth memorizing in its whole, but at least verses 1 -3.

Psalm 23
King James Version (KJV)
23 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.

Single Bible Study chapter to study

John 1:1-9
King James Version (KJV)
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

OBSERVE:

Take a moment and write three observations of the verses. What strikes you? An observation is an observable fact from the Word.

INTERPRETATION:

What do you interpret these verses to mean for you today?

APPLY:

Today, I learned _____________________________________and apply it to my life.

Prayer of Encouragement

Almighty God, thank you for Christ shining the light on all that we do, that we can grow and flourish even as plants flourish in light. Forgive us hiding in darkness and trying to disguise or cover up our sins. Cleanse us and empower us to do great things for you. In Jesus name, Amen

Conclusion
The Twenty-Fourth Day of Lent reveals that Christ is the light of the world; that Christ is the Word, and is God. Christ set the entire universe into motion. Christ designed how things should be in the cycles of life and death of stars and planets, stones, plants and the animal kingdom. If we let the light of Christ shine on our lives, we can see things with clarity.
I challenge Christians to be the leaders in studies, science, business and politics—not by reducing our ways of doing things to stereotypes and limited visions of interpretations, but by allowing the Creator God that set all things in motion—from before the moment when time began—to shine the light of knowledge and inspiration on everything we do. We may need to be uncomfortable as we wrestle with issues every day, instead of accepting the status quo. The results, however, produce great moments in history brought by spiritual leaders wrestling with the truth—St. Augustine, St. Francis, Martin Luther, Mother Teresa, Martin Luther King, Jr.—and many more. They all suffered. We will suffer, too. But each of us can start where we are and do extraordinary things.
Go out and be ready for God to do mighty things in your life.*
Thank you for visiting ChapLynne’s Daily Encouragement and Bible Study. God bless you.
*If you do not know the Lord as your personal Savior and you are seeking, please contact me. A genuine and simple prayer, asking God into your heart for the forgiveness of your sins will also do.

Replies

• MissSharon2013
    MissSharon2013 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    In trying to understand the concept of theistic evolution, I did a bit of research. I've never heard this term before; so it is a new one. From what I understand, there are a couple of different ways that theistic evolutionists may think about our creation. Do you believe that God did not, in fact, create man and woman instantly? That they came about as some sort of long-term process or evolution? That they began as some sort of organism or cell and eventually progressed into a human being? I believe in the literal translation that God created man instantly from dust; and Eve from his rib. That there was no long term type of evolution.

I believe that God is the creator of science, absolutely; but any type of evolutionary theory goes against everything I have ever been taught about our creation.

We must know that there are consequences in our lives for not obeying God. If we clearly know that what we are about to do is in direct violation of God's law, and we do it anyway, we are out of obedience and subject to exposure to all the consequences that come with that.

May God bless me to be obedient to God's word; to realize that God knows what is best for my life! In Jesus' name, Amen!
  • HealthFitNow
    HealthFitNow Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    In answer to your question I start with my beliefs and the Scriptures that support those beliefs.
    This is lengthy, I am like Mark Twain apologizing for writing a long letter because he didn't have time to write a short one. LOL

There are several things that I believe:
    A. I believe in God the Creator of all things
    John 1:1-3 (KJV)

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.

3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

B. If God created all things and nothing was made without him making it, then the science of the universe/world is created by God. Therefore all science is something that God has created.
    C. God created me (and all people) in the Divine image—to be like God.
    Genesis 1:27-28 (KJV)

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
    D. Since we are created with that Divine image, and given this earth to have dominion over, we have a task on this earth to learn about it and care for it –to be a good steward of what God has given to us. So, we must study about God’s creation. I taught my children about the scientific method, because that is how we can use the logic God gave us, to examine and come to understanding of God’s creation.
    E. Science teaches us about Creation. We count rings on trees to learn how old it is. We dig down in the ground to observe the layers of earth and see how old things are. We count teeth to determine age of a dog or a child. Etc. Science has taught us truths about this earth and now with space craft and observatories, like Hubble, Chandra and more, we have a window into the universe.
    What we discover in science is God’s science. How we interpret the Scriptures change as we learn more.

F. The Bible says things that are metaphorically true (like we explain things to kids)—Jesus said, “The Kingdom of Heaven is like…”, true for a specific circumstance (descriptive and not prescriptive), true for all people everywhere (Prescriptive and descriptive)
    Even for people, who claim the Bible is inerrant in its current translation, they don’t live the words of every verse in the Bible. E.g. Here are examples of ways that we have changed our interpretations of the ‘truth’ of the Bible
    Slavery:
    Philemon 1:15-16 (NIV)
    15 Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back forever— 16 no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a fellow man and as a brother in the Lord.
    Christians used to justify owning slaves in America by these verses. We know now that we misinterpreted a description of Onesimus to be a prescription for the way life should be.
    Dress-code for women. This was the basis for Catholic nuns wearing the habit and shaving their heads.
    1 Corinthians 11:5-6 (KJV)
    5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
    6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.
    But we recognize this was descriptive of the Corinthian church because of the circumstances in Corinth, not descriptive of women forever. Women are entitled to pray or preach without the dress code above
    Salvation for Women is different than Salvation for men.
    Women are lesser beings because of Eve. Salvation for women must be earned. It doesn’t come by faith alone. Women are saved through giving birth:
    1 Timothy 2:15 (NIV)
    15 But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.
    I don’t know of anyone who believes in the inerrancy of the Word of God, who believes that only women who give birth will be saved.
    The truth is: everyone ‘interprets’ the Word of God. All translations are ‘interpreted’ –there are variations in English…and the many other languages of the world.
    Even God says this, hence the words to Timothy:
    2 Timothy 2:15 (KJV)
    15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
    Rightly dividing the word of truth means that we are called to interpret it correctly, and some passages are divided into prescriptions, descriptions, and metaphors.
    I believe that God delivered an infallible inerrant word to the writers of the Bible. But through the translations, we have a Bible that was inspired by God and is useful for our instruction.
    2 Timothy 3:16-17
    16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.
    Paul doesn’t say inerrant. He says inspired. He says profitable.
    He told Timothy all this because there were people saying that the resurrection had already happened. Believers have been mistaken before—on slavery, haircuts, and salvation. We will make mistakes again.
    If we insist on sticking to one interpretation in the face of science (which suggests a different interpretation), then we are not employing what the Bible says to do –study to show God we take all that God has done seriously and we are rightly sorting the truth. We are to take in all information God gives us. People were superstitious about eclipses –God bringing down disaster during eclipses—but we know that it is a normal process of our planet circling the sun and the moon or earth. For people to argue that the Bible says something different against science is akin to the Pharisees saying that Jesus drove out demons through the work of Beelzebub (the devil). A house divided against itself cannot stand.
    God who created the universe and everything in it cannot deny creation, but might explain it to uneducated people, who can’t fathom the details of quantum mechanics and astrophysics in simple terms. God communicates to us in the Bible as a means to draw us into relationship.
    The Bible is not a history book or a science book, though it has historical basis and aspects that corroborate science.
    Among the writers of the gospels, there are so many differences in the ways that the four authors tell the story, but each expands our understanding of God. The Bible is God reaching out to us and drawing us into relationship. We are to rightly divide the word of truth and not force the Bible into interpretations that would not be true.
    I feel strongly about this because, unlike some Christians, I don’t see science as anti-God. I see science as belonging to God. Every scientific discovery is us uncovering more information about the marvelous creation God made.
    Some Christians believe that the earth is six thousand years old, and all was made in six earth 24 hour days…including stars and planets.
    I believe the universe is near 14 billion years old, with billions of galaxies and the earth is millions of years old.
    I think my vision of God is much bigger and more capable.
    Last, if the earth is only six thousand years old then what did Peter and the Psalmist mean about not being ignorant?
    2 Peter 3:8 (KJV)
    8 But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day.
    Psalm 90:4
    A thousand years in your sight
    are like a day that has just gone by,
    or like a watch in the night.
    Peter didn’t want us to be ignorant. Even he suggests that our understanding of a day and God’s time are very different and to think differently is ignorance. A thousand years for us is like a watch (4 hours). Peter is not being exact, nor is the Psalmist, but they are letting us know that God is way beyond us and we should not put the image of God and what God does or can do into a small box.
    I know this may be troubling for some, who have been under the tutelage of people who insist that their ideas are the only truth.
    I submit they have been misled like Christians who were slave owners were misled.
    We must study, study, study. It is only through serious study that we can uncover the truth.

BTW, our science isn’t perfect either. But there is science that is denied by some Christians that is pretty established as true, with tons of corroborated evidence.
    It’s like Christians looking at 1000s of rings on a tree and saying the tree is only six years old.

We are responsible for how we present the Word of God to the world. If we are acting ‘ignorantly’ like Peter says, we need to change. The world should not reject God because Christians are acting foolishly and claiming it is God’s wisdom. No it is foolishness of human thinking—not God's. We must be careful of that which we say is God's design, especially when God's science says it is not.
  • Gwen_B_
    Gwen_B_ Posts: 79
    Options
    "ALL was created by God.

Hence science was created by God. Our study of science reveals more about God’s design to us. We do God a disservice by suggesting that the Bible disproves science. Quite the contrary. Science should be led by Christians seeking the ways that God reveals an amazing design from the rules of gravity to electro-magnetism and the minutia of quantum theory to astro-physics which plunges us into space. "
    In the Roman Catholic Church, Pope Pius XII was a proponent of the Big Bang Theory and the Church follows the idea that creation from nothing stated in Genesis is consistent with the Big Bang.
    This is not my religion and this is not what I believe.