Running two halfs close together?

Options
JTick
JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
I ran my first half yesterday. They partnered with another half, and if you run both you'll get an extra commemorative medal. The next half is on April 19, 3 weeks away. If I decide to go for this, what should my training plan look like for the next couple weeks?

Replies

• RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first half! I did 4 weeks apart between half #3 and 4. I followed Hal Higdon's in between marathons plan for this. Keeping the long run at the low end of what he prescribed fit right in with the level i was running at. And i shaved 6 minutes off my time in that 4 weeks. You could always just repeat the last three weeks of whatever training plan you were using. That would probably work too. Of course all this depends on how you are feeling today and tomorrow. I wouldn't have been mentally prepared for a second half 4 weeks after my first. But that's me.
  • JTick
    Options
    I don't think I could possibly not be mentally prepared for my next haha. It started drizzling at the start line, by mile 5 complete downpour, by mile 7 I had puddles in my shoes, by mile 12 I was so cold I couldn't feel my hands anymore. It was MISERABLE. If I can run through that, I can run through anything.

I am pretty sore though. There were a LOT more hills than I was expecting, and while they didn't kick my butt too hard during the race, I can definitely tell that I had never run with that much elevation change. The total elevation climb was over 12,000 feet. I'm not really planning on running until later this week, and just do some light lifting/walking in the meantime.

I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea to throw a 10-11 mile run in there? I'll check out Higdon's plan and see what it looks like.

ETA: I just ran a quick and search and am having problems finding that program. I see ones for marathons, but not halfs. Do you just alter the between marathon schedule to fit your needs?
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    If I decide to go for this, what should my training plan look like for the next couple weeks?

I would just repeat the final 3 weeks of the training plan you just did.
  • JTick
    Options
    If I decide to go for this, what should my training plan look like for the next couple weeks?

I would just repeat the final 3 weeks of the training plan you just did.

This will mean doing an 11.5 mile run this Saturday (my half was yesterday), a 5 mile next weekend, and then race the weekend after that. Sound good?
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I ran my first two halfs five weeks apart, I just continued running 10+ with a one week taper right before the second half. I PR'd by more than 8 minutes. I'm also running my fourth and fifth one week apart. 04/06 and 04/13! I think you'll do fine! Lots of stretching and foam rolling will help prevent stiffness and soreness! Don't sit still!
  • Daisy471
    Daisy471 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    That sounds like it will work. I'm doing a half on 4/13 and am considering another one on 4/27. My 12 mile training runs have been a week apart and just under my goal pace so I think I will be ok with 2 weeks between the races. I'll probably wait until a few days before the 2nd one and see what the weather forecast is before I make up my mind.
  • JTick
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the help! I'm still considering a full this October, so I might as well keep my mileage high in the meantime...another half this close will help me stay motivated and working towards something.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Too close together? Not to me, I just ran the NYC Half and 6 days later ran the Sleepy Hollow half. Granted I raced the first and ran the second easy. Just be sure to listen to your body. There are plans for back to back halfs like a reverse taper. A half doesn't tear your body down like a full does.
  • JTick
    Options
    Too close together? Not to me, I just ran the NYC Half and 6 days later ran the Sleepy Hollow half. Granted I raced the first and ran the second easy. Just be sure to listen to your body. There are plans for back to back halfs like a reverse taper. A half doesn't tear your body down like a full does.

Okay now I'm confused haha. I wish I were a more experienced runner!!!

Plan 1:
    Zero week: Half marathon
    Week 1: 11.5 mile long run
    Week 2: 5 mile long run
    Week 3: Taper/second half marathon

Plan 2:
    Week 1: 5 mile long run
    Week 2: 11.5 mile long run
    Week 3: taper/second half marathon.

Which is better? What are the pros/cons of each. Does it matter which way I go?
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Plan 1:

Plan 2:

If you feeling absolutely fantastic after your first half, then you could probably go with plan 1. I personally would not be able to do either of them. 2 weeks isn't a lot of time in between and I personally need more time to recover and rest than either of those plans allowed. If it were me I would probably do an 8 mile week 1 and a 6-7 mile week 2. Some half marathon plans have a 2 week taper so the first half would just be like your last long run before the next half. (please take my advice with a grain of salt as I have never ran back to back halfs before...this is just what I would probably do if I was going to.) Good luck to you either way!! :)

Edit to add: for me....11.5 the week before the half would not allow enough rest for my legs, but I guess it depends on how much you are running. If you are running 50-60 miles/week, then your body might adjust fine to this.
  • JTick
    Options

Plan 1:

Plan 2:

If you feeling absolutely fantastic after your first half, then you could probably go with plan 1. I personally would not be able to do either of them. 2 weeks isn't a lot of time in between and I personally need more time to recover and rest than either of those plans allowed. If it were me I would probably do an 8 mile week 1 and a 6-7 mile week 2. Some half marathon plans have a 2 week taper so the first half would just be like your last long run before the next half. (please take my advice with a grain of salt as I have never ran back to back halfs before...this is just what I would probably do if I was going to.) Good luck to you either way!! :)

Edit to add: for me....11.5 the week before the half would not allow enough rest for my legs, but I guess it depends on how much you are running. If you are running 50-60 miles/week, then your body might adjust fine to this.

This is kind of how I'm feeling...not enough time to adequately rest. In my head, what makes sense to me is to do a 5 miler this weekend, 8-10 next weekend depending on how I feel, and then taper and race. I don't see how I could possibly do an 11.5 this weekend, I am pretty sore.

I normally run 20ish miles a week...I was following Jeff Galloway's plan, so only ran 3x's per week.
  • southerndream24
    southerndream24 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I thnk you'll have to find what works best for your body. The morning after I raced the NYC half, I went out and ran a slightly slower 9 miler. I don't believe in zero week after a half and I only do a mini taper. However, that's just what works for me. I didn't even do a zero-week after my last full marathon.

See how you feel after the race and go from there.