New to the PCOS Group

KatyAverill
KatyAverill Posts: 166 Member
Hi Ladies!

My husband and I are planning to start TTC around this time next year. At that time I'll be 24, he'll be 26 and we'll have purchased our own home. However, I have PCOS and we are worried about possibly having difficulty getting pregnant. When I am not on birth control pills, I only get my period about once or twice per year. If you have PCOS, how long did it take you to get pregnant? We are wondering if we should start trying sooner since I have heard of some people taking multiple years to get pregnant.

I would love any advice :smile:

Replies

• sharjo83
    sharjo83 Posts: 7 Member
    I was on birth control from age 19 to 25, when I stopped taking it to start TTC. As a teenager my periods were scattered always, but I didn't think much of it. But after we started trying, I think I only got my period once in the following year that we were TTC. By the end of that first year my doctor did bloodwork and an ultrasound and diagnosed me with PCOS. I wasn't ready at 26 to start trying medications and treatments, so we just kept trying naturally for about 4 more years. I tried metformin in that time period, but it didn't have any results for me. I usually only got my period 3 or 4 times per year and they were never "normal".

We have been using clomid for the last 2 years to try to make it happen, but 6 cycles later and nothing. It works in that I ovulate and have a normal cycle when I'm on clomid, but no fertilization.

So I guess from my experience, I think I waited too long trying "naturally" and now I'm 31 and getting scared. I would strongly, strongly recommend the website soulcysters.net - it's an absolutely amazing PCOS website/forum with discussions on every topic you can think of related to PCOS and TTC with PCOS. Good luck to you - I hope it happens when you want it to!!
  • mtucker823
    mtucker823 Posts: 9 Member
    With my first it happened first try. But my periods were always regular and I was pretty active. Now we have been trying for our second for almost 7 months. My periods are not regular and I have been working on losing weight. I am not nearly as active as I was before. This is my 2nd month on metformin, I am trying to regulate my cycles.
  • TLC7613
    TLC7613 Posts: 86 Member
    I have PCOS with irregular and anovulatory cycles too, and what's really helped me get back to a normal schedule is eating pineapple and grapefruit. I get the grapefruit juice that's not from concentrate in the cold section, it's Odwalla brand I believe and then I get the pre-cut up grapefruit thats packaged in the cold section of the vegetable section. I read that it's supposed to help with ovulation and I tried it on a whim and it's worked wonders for me!!!!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    With my first, it took a year. I was 28 at the time. With my second, it took a year and a half. I had just turned 35 when I got pregnant.

With the first, I was having my cycle about every 6-8 weeks. With the second, I sought treatment pretty much right away and until my medication (Metformin) was straightened out, I went seven months without a cycle. After the Metformin, my cycles were about five weeks long.

My OBGYN was not going to use ART until we'd been trying for a year but both times I ended up going in because I was not getting a period in two months. She had told me previously that if I did not get one for two months, I should come in due to the lining building up.
  • brittybird38
    brittybird38 Posts: 1 Member
    With our daughter I had been told that it would take me a long time to get pregnant and I'd likely need help to ovulate and get pregnant. In September 2008 we decided we wanted a baby but I wanted to lose some weight first. I went off birth control pills, lost just over 10% went from 300 to 265 pounds, May we decided we would start testing for ovulating and really actively start trying. My period came May 31st and on July 6th we found out we were pregnant. I was 23 at the time.

We started trying again when our daughter turned 9 months old however I weighed more than I did when I gave birth to her and my cycles just never really came back after I had her. Now we are almost at our 3 1/2 year mark of trying for number 2.

It can be SO variable, really. Trying for 1 and trying for 2 have been completely opposite experiences. Good luck to you!!!