Been glutened... what can I do to recover?

Options
sdgirl22
sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
Hi guys! I accidentally ate some glutenous foods this weekend. I read that getting a lot of sleep is good (but the resulting insomnia is sort of impending that), and eating a CRAM or BRAT diet is a good idea until the symptoms go away... so I'm looking forward to a short term future full of rice and bananas :P

If this has happened to anyone else, what did you do? Any advice is appreciated- this is the first time this has happened to me. Thanks!

Replies

• FitnessPalWorks
    FitnessPalWorks Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Be gentle with what you eat.... bland works for me.
    Also pineapple with cottage cheese always soothes my stomach when I'm feeling "off"...
    Pineapple with anything, really. It's an anti-inflammatory and just helps you to heal.
    Good luck!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    For me, easy to digest protein like eggs or chicken breast or plain greek yogurt, easy to digest non-nightshade veggies like zucchini, spaghetti squash, broccoli and cauliflower, cooked carrots. No spicy stuff that I usually like, NO grains that I can usually handle like corn, rice, even quinoa. No beans or nuts or seeds. PLAIN protein & veg with banana, pineapple or mango as a fruit for at least 3 days. That & lots of Tylenol Extra Strength & RUB A535 with capsaicin, and two Magic Bags to heat in rotation to deal with the joint pain. Oh yeah, I almost forgot the Ventolin for the asthma.

Not good to get glutened :(
    Liana
  • sowich25
    sowich25 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Peppermint tea works
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I know this is a little late, but I'll throw it in anyways for the future. Activated charcoal is what works best for me. I always keep it in case I get glutened, if my husbands gets unbearable gas, and I also use it as a teeth whitening treatment. But it works very fast. After that, I do the same as others have said and eat gentle food. I like veggies that have a lot of fiber like artichokes and carrots. And since my tummy can get a little upset if I have too juicy and acidic fruits too soon, I stick to dried. Dates and apricots mainly.
  • weather_nerd
    Options
    I have heard the best thing to do is rest and take care of yourself by basically doing nothing. This is practically impossible for most of us anyways, and I can definitely relate to the insomnia from being glutened. If only I could sleep from the hours of 1 pm to 4 pm I'd be all set!

Anyways, it depends largely on my symptoms. For anything related to my stomach, I second peppermint tea. I get bad sinus problems and get nauseas, so I tend to stick to ginger tea or Gravol.
  • sdgirl22
    sdgirl22 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the responses! I cut out the spicy food (which I also love!!) and have been eating lots of chicken, white rice, potatoes, and apples - not great for losing weight but it must be working because I'm starting to feel better!

I'll have to check out activated charcoal. I've read about it but it's nice to have someone advocate it :)
  • Sharon5913
    Sharon5913 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    ginger ale and rest is about the only thing that works for me. Hope you are feeling better.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There have been some studies that indicate probiotic foods are good for reducing symptoms post-exposure.
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I do not suffer with Celiacs like some others, but avoid wheat and gluten for diet reasons, as I find it works for me and I also feel loads better! I have not eaten gluten since March 1st, until yesterday when I had the tiniest bits! but I definitely know about it today! I literally had a small portion of Doritos...wheat flour listed in ingredients and a small Chewee Toffee bar..again gluten listed in ingredients. Today I feel awful, bloated, sluggish, full and exhausted, like I've way overeaten, horrible taste in my mouth and I'm really thirsty! That will teach me! Does it sound like the Gluten that's done it?!
    OP hope you are feeling better :)
  • funkygas
    funkygas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I managed to go for about 3 months without accidentally eating any gluten until a lunch last month, when I chose the wrong sushi (it had breaded crabsticks, when I thought it was just normal fish). Normally I just want to lie down in the foetal position when the stomach churning etc starts, but this time, I was at work, so I told my boss I was going home early (he was with me at the lunch), I rode my bike home (about 10km) and then stayed in the kitchen baking for about an hour or so.

Seems that when I get glutened, the best remedy is for me to remain active because as soon as I sat down later that afternoon, the stomach churning started up again. I ended up going for a long walk that afternoon as well, the following day I was ok again.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I also find adding some honey ( especially the manuka kind) can help ease stuff especially as I always end up with a sore throat.

I agree with the peppermint tea and fennel/liquorice can also help with lower intestinal pain. I usually does up on pain meds and sleep as much as possible. Hot water bottle is great to curl around.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I didn't think I had, but I must have had some gluten. I have all these symptoms :sick: Plus add in 2 migraines in 2 days :sad:

Amazing how our bodies get under attack by a FOOD for goodness sake. Cannot imagine how my Celiac friends deal with it:brokenheart:

Hope everyone is OK..........I am getting some activated charcoal to have around. And peppermint tea (altho I have to check it out because I have hiatal hernia and reflux, and done know how that interacts)

:drinker: