Starting again

Options
Kestrelwings
Kestrelwings Posts: 238 Member
Well after all the effort I put into my first bulk, I got completely floored by
(1) a horrendous dose of flu that I (typical me) tried to work through, and ended up losing 2kg in a week and has left me feeling like Superman does around a load of Kryptonite :sick:
(2) massive work stress :grumble:
(3) ending up in loads of pain and currently awaiting an MRI scan to see if I have fractured my pelvis:explode:

*Sigh* back to square one, as I hate how skinny my arms & legs are, and the fact all my lifts have taken a huge step backwards. I am steadily trying to up my calorie intake again, especially as I am needing to do some cardio to get my cardiovascular fitness to recover as well. :ohwell:

Replies

• Kestrelwings
    Options
    Week one: weight up from 50.8kg/111.8 lb to 51.2kg/112.6lb

Now some of that may be because I am due TOM sometime soon, but fingers crossed at least some of it is muscle :-)

Progress (albeit small) with my lifts for the first time since I had the flu about a month ago. Hope the progress continues!

:-)
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    You go girl! Happy you are back on track and I'm sure you see some great progress soon!
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Week 2: feel like I am eating more, but weight still averaging 51.2kg/112.6kg. Not too upset as I know weight gain is never a straight line but goes in fits & starts as your metabolism adapts to each new calorie intake.

Friend told me that I was 'looking too thin' :-( I know

Most lifts no significant difference this week, but small but psychologically good improvement in bench as I am starting to be able to bench 40kg/88lbs for the first time (but not able to go as close to my chest as I need to yet on the way down). Also more energy when at the gym.

Baby steps :-)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Well done on the 40 kg bench! Hope the bulk's going well. I'm jealous - cutting :(
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    It's really frustrating having to start over due to health stuff-- it happens to me regularly and it never gets any easier.

Congrats on the bench!
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Was at work when a lady who has not seen me for a while came up and asked me: "When is the baby due?" :mad:

Poor woman was mortified when I explained I am not pregnant.

No matter what my weight is, I get asked if I am pregnant / when is it due about once per year on average.:grumble: I am skinny,but have a 'pregnant' belly that no amount of diet or exercise will shift. My abs are strong as heck, just hidden under a beer belly - and I don't even drink. :laugh:

Ah well. I am overdue my TOM which probably does not help and explains why it has annoyed me so much. Rant over, and let normal service resume :smile:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Was at work when a lady who has not seen me for a while came up and asked me: "When is the baby due?" :mad:

No matter what my weight is, I get asked if I am pregnant / when is it due about once per year on average.:grumble: I am skinny,but have a 'pregnant' belly that no amount of diet or exercise will shift. My abs are strong as heck, just hidden under a beer belly - and I don't even drink. :laugh:

Ah well. I am overdue my TOM which probably does not help and explains why it has annoyed me so much. Rant over, and let normal service resume :smile:

It still blows my mind that people will ask this.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

That's just annoying. :explode:
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Perhaps I will just get a T-shirt saying - 'No, I am not bloody pregnant!' on it ;-)
    If I could work out a way of taking some photos to post, you wold see what I mean. Hopefully if I bulk right everyone will be so busy looking at my guns & bum they will not notice the tum!
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Week 3: 51.3kg/112.8lbs

That is only 100g up on last week, so time to up the intake. Popped into supermarket on way home from gym and got some yummies (apols to everyone who is cutting at the mo)!

Was looking for a weight belt on the advice of my trainer for posture, but no chance of one small enough over here that was in my price range, so one is on its way from the US :-)

Nervously awaiting results of my MRI scan. I would be heartbroken if I was told to stop lifting :-(
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    Week 4: 51.5kg/113.2lbs

Up 200g/half a pound on last week.

I know that is the 'textbook' amount, but I had secretly hoped I would be able to even eat more before I gained :ohwell:
    I know however that most people have to keep upping the calories as the bulk progresses.

On a lighter note, wore a short-sleeved dress to work for the first time this Spring and a colleague did a double take of my arms and said "wow, you're getting really muscly" Result! :bigsmile: Resisted the urge to point out that compared to most of my friends at the gym I am a mere twig. :tongue:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    I know a couple of people who gained at the beginning and then stalled and had to increase calories again. :flowerforyou:

I know what you mean though-- I'm hoping if nothing else I get a TDEE bump from this process.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    It blows when you get sick. I had gastro at the end of my bulk, lost 2 kilo in 3 days then put it back on over a week. Worried I lost muscle and gained fat. But what can you do.
    Then I had a big weekend out At the start of my cut, I gained a kilo and promptly lost it again. So yesterday I put the scales away for a couple of weeks and now am in serious cutting mode.
    I cant believe though after a failed bulk and a moderately successful one, how much I am looking forward to the next one. I am going to eat like a horse and lift like a boss :-)
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    I am still waiting for the 'eat like a horse' phase. Despite weight gain, this I must be eating over what I need, I am still ravenous and having to watch what I eat very carefully and keep up the cardio or I may go over the 'golden' 0.5lb per week :grumble: but it is very early days, so no point worrying about it :laugh:
  • __freckles__
    Options
    I am still waiting for the 'eat like a horse' phase. Despite weight gain, this I must be eating over what I need, I am still ravenous and having to watch what I eat very carefully and keep up the cardio or I may go over the 'golden' 0.5lb per week :grumble: but it is very early days, so no point worrying about it :laugh:

I feel the same way today. I am SO hungry right now it's ridiculous. I'm eating the same that I usually do but I want to gnaw my arm off. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg.
  • __freckles__
    Options
    On a lighter note, wore a short-sleeved dress to work for the first time this Spring and a colleague did a double take of my arms and said "wow, you're getting really muscly" Result! :bigsmile: Resisted the urge to point out that compared to most of my friends at the gym I am a mere twig. :tongue:

And YAAAAAAY for compliments!!!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I feel the same way today. I am SO hungry right now it's ridiculous. I'm eating the same that I usually do but I want to gnaw my arm off. Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg.

Same. :frown: I expected to at least be not hungry. But I think I'm hungrier because my lifting sessions are more intense.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I was ok last week and a little under most days. One day though I was really hungry so I used up those "extra" calories and went 400 over. This week so far so good. I even had to eat a few nuts after dinner as I was a bit too far under yesterday.
    One thing I did do was put the scales away. It is so liberating. I was weighing daily and as we know weight fluctuates, a lot! Now I plan to go 2 weeks then see what happens. Fingers crossed is good news.
    I am delaying breakfast a bit, if I can hold off till 9 or 10 then I eat at smaller intervals during the day. I don't mind being peckish in the morning when I know I have 6 meals to come. I can't be hungry at the end of the day or I will blow it!
    What I like about a cut is I am eating so much cleaner. I did not like resorting to sugar and carbs of an evening to get those extra calories in. One thing I was just getting to grips with before I got sick, was getting more food in me during the day and less in the evening, which makes it less of a drama for me.
    My next bulk Coincides with a 3 week holiday (home to Uk) So the timing is much better, and I have already researched the nearest gym :-)
    I was trying to cut in December, that was a terrible plan lol
  • Kestrelwings
    Options
    I am with you on making sure I have plenty 'left' to eat in the evening. I simply cannot go to bed hungry or I won't sleep. I also confess and hang my head in shame that I wake up roughly every 2-3 hours at nights and 'have' to eat or else I can't drop off to sleep again properly. It is 90% psychological, as I don't 'need' to eat at night, it is just a habit that has become ingrained over many years. Other people in my family are the same, and if there were any leftovers from dinner as a kid,it was a running joke that one of us would do a 3am fridge raid!