Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Exercise in the 3rd Trimester

rhye
rhye Posts: 104 Member
I was very active before getting pregnant, running and weight lifting and doing yoga. I stayed active until about a month ago. I'm currently hitting 28 weeks. I started feeling a lot of fatigue and headaches about a month ago. I still got to the gym a couple times a week but not every day as usual, and my workouts had less energy. In the past two weeks though, even a slow walk will leave me in cramps and feeling shaky. Even walking around the grocery store feels like a challenge. Does anyone recommend any physical activity I might be able to do if I can't even go for a slow walk? Maybe floating around in the pool?

I feel like if I can't even walk around the grocery store without horrible cramping I ought to crawl into bed and give up.

My doc says everything is fine, btw. My blood pressure is normal-to-low and my iron is fine.

Replies

• SSAHM
    SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
    I think the most important thing at this time is to listen to your body. If anything is uncomfortable just don't do it.

Pool could be an idea or maybe just break it up into little walks thought the day. Just always listen to your body
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    I do Denise Austin's Fit and Firm Pregnancy, you can find it on youtube. It's only 20 minutes of low impact aerobics so by the time you might get fatigued it's over, lol. My only other suggestion is to maybe do stretches and kegels as your routine until you give birth.
  • nicolemviolette
    nicolemviolette Posts: 105 Member
    This might be a little too high impact, if you cant even walk around the grocery store, but I do Leslie Sansone walking workouts. You can find them on YouTube. All you really do it walk in place, but she adds a little twist to it, and its actually kinda fun.
    You could also try YouTubing some prenatal yoga. They have some really gentle routines on there, that are actually quite relaxing.
    But also, this IS the time to listen to your body, and if exercise makes you uncomfortable, you probably should just relax. There is always time for exercise after your little one is here :) Good Luck!
  • rhye
    I just went on a very slow (toddler speed) 20 minute walk, and in the last 5 minutes I was so crampy and nauseous. So apparently even a 20 minute walk is just too much. So frustrating!
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Prenatal yoga... the Gaiam one with Shiva Rhea is a gentle but effective workout.

ETA: about $8 on Amazon or $9 at Walmart/Target
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    I just went on a very slow (toddler speed) 20 minute walk, and in the last 5 minutes I was so crampy and nauseous. So apparently even a 20 minute walk is just too much. So frustrating!

I would give your doctor another call, and possibly get a second opinion if he once again says everything is fine. Not to sound like an alarmist, but what you're feeling doesn't sound good/normal to me. Better to be safe than sorry! I hope everything is alright and you're feeling better soon.
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    I had the same thing if I was walking too fast (3.0MPH or higher on a treadmill) and my stomach would tighten and then i'd feel like crap for the next 12 hours or so. So I dropped my gym membership. Now, I just walk outside at a comfortable pace without being out of breath.
  • toothpastechica
    toothpastechica Posts: 250 Member
    Walking and Pre-natal yoga....

I was off exercise completely because of dizzy/fainting spells in he early second trimester and never really recovered. I tried to join a prenatal fitness class in early 3rd but it was too much after not doing anything....Now I mostly walk at a snails pace, but hey its better then sitting on the couch! The pre-natal yoga helps a lot with comfort by stretching out your back and muscles that are hard to use right now. (I am 38 weeks).
  • rhye
    I have another appointment tomorrow so I'll talk to my doctor again. I guess even 10 minutes of very slow walking is better than being on the couch, thanks for the encouragement! It just feels like nothing as I was even still running a couple months ago.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Is it possible that walking is triggering braxton hicks for you?
    If that is the case, you really only have two choices. Keep walking anyways or stop.
    It does kind of sound like maybe walking is giving you these contractions.
  • rhye
    Spoke to the midwife and she believes (and convinced me as well) that it's Braxton Hick + RLP happening at the same time after about 20 minutes of walking. She said a support belt will probably help yonks, but since I don't have the money for one right now instead today I went to the pool. I was able to swim some laps and tread water and I feel great. I might just stick to the pool for a bit. This is my 2nd child and the midwife said RLP is different and more prolonged with a second child since your abs start somewhat stretched out so you have less of an internal support belt.