Overhead Press Ugh!!!!

Options
verasdaughter
verasdaughter Posts: 71 Member
Can't seem to progress in weight on my overhead presses. Been doing Stronglifts since mid January and have progressed with everything else though I have to admit my arms are my weak point. Are there any other exercises I can do to help me progress with mu overhead presses. Started with just the bar and now can do 10+bar about 3 times then can't do the all 5 reps after that.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Try increasing the reps with the bar...go up one rep for each workout or each set and see if that helps build the strength.

OHP is one of the toughest lifts for a woman. As well search amazon for fractionals...or your sporting goods store for weighted collars.

Another thing you can do is get "big washers" from a hardware store they come in 3/4lb-3lb if you are lucky.

That way you can increase the weights slowly after you get over this "hump".
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Thanks SezxyStef, I was wondering the same thing. Today I did 27.5kg (60ish pounds) and it was a total nightmare. Monday is my best day at the gym because Sunday usually means rest and tons of carbs, no way I'll be able to lift 30 kg next Friday :noway:
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I found 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and 1 lb fractionals on ebay! They are even color coordinated. Increasing reps is good also.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    You could also add a few accessory moves to your routine for triceps and shoulders. I'm a big fan of the close grip bench press and face pulls, personally :) Progress is slow, but it's not impossible!
  • coltsgirl311
    coltsgirl311 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting about this, I was just wondering the same thing this morning! Not sure how I'll do with 5 more pounds on Friday, but am going to try it before I look into fractionals.
  • hananah89
    Options
    if anyone cares, these are the ones i bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CFF-2-Olympic-Fractional-Weight-Plate-Set-/140772353604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c6afa644

They are on the cheaper end from what I've seen and free shipping can't be beat!
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ha ha ha, I was just coming here to post this myself.

They are one unforgiving *kitten* of a lift. I have to talk myself out of modifying them to dip-drives or thrusters, because the momentum of those certainly helps. I'm going to look into some of the accessory lifts.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Some accessory lifts that I would recommend:

KB swings
    Upright rows
    Any tricep work, or bicep work.
    Lat raises
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Would you suggest doing the accessory lifts after SL or on non-SL days?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    You can add the accessory lifts to the end of SL days....that way you have full rest days between sessions. Pick one or two and do 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps.
  • FrustratedYoYoer
    FrustratedYoYoer Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend fractionalise. I've been able to make good progress since I bought mine and don't think I could've continued without
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    I third or fourth fractionals and accessory work. I recently added curls and started doing planks again and my OHP feels way better and stronger, even on days when I fail.
  • Jenky85
    Jenky85 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Urgh OHP are my nemesis too! Glad this thread exists...going to try and include some accessory lifts now :drinker:
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Definitely get some fractionals. Usually when I hit a wall on lifts I'll drop the reps down and increase the weight and sets. This way I can lift a little more due to having to get less reps, which helps with the "mental wall" as well and in the process increases strength.
  • verasdaughter
    verasdaughter Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice!!!! Thanks for all the responses.
  • GoTimeBaby
    Options
    Fractionals, I hear is the best bet. I've been stuck at 65/70lbs for months. I'm about to buy some myself.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Seriously- I can barely do the bar. IT is my dreaded lift...

:embarassed:
  • TGDMJNoles
    TGDMJNoles Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I *strongly dislike* this lift. I'm staying at 50 pounds today since my last attempt was so wobbly even though I did get 5x5.

Hubby is off tomorrow so we are going to search the local hardware stores for some large washers to use as fractionals.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I finally got up to the 45 pound bar after months. And I have been doing extra Bicep and Tricep work all along.
  • hananah89
    Options
    Everyone is different and this lift is often the hardest for women. Don't compare yourself to others.

Just like I was next to a guy doing 135lbs OHP this morning. Very impressive, but I know that's not realistic for me. (except for maybe drugs. ROIDS)