Slipping

Options
BoysMommaX4
BoysMommaX4 Posts: 41 Member
I am 4 1/2 months post op and I am starting to slip. I used to log in to MFP every day and log my food. Now I find myself only logging on to enter in my weight once a week. I'm starting to eat things that I know I shouldn't like half a doughnut, half a taco from Taco Bell, carbs, etc. I am losing weight more slowly and I know that this is to be expected now that I am 20 lbs from my goal but I'm afraid that if I don't get back on track I will just gain it all back. I think that the first step is to acknowledge the problem and move on from there. I don't want to ever go back to where I was and I don't want to waist this gift I have. Yesterday I played with my kids on the playground equipment without a worry about fitting down the slide of having anything break. I want to keep pushing forward and reach my goal and never look. Has anyone else started to get comfortable and find themselves starting to do things that they shouldn't? How did you handle it?

Replies

• DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You have just admitted you are human and wanted a taste of a donut. SO WHAT? You are not on a diet - you have changed your eating to help you live better. We poison ourselves when we think "Diet". "Diet" implies suffering and we mentally reject that. You are losing weight more slowly but are still losing - great job! You are 75% to your goal in only 4.5 months - great job!. Focus on that and not the 1/2 of a taco. I would bet that a year ago it would have been the whole taco plus a few more, right? Give your self permission to live and be happy, enjoy playing with your kids.

That said; find a local bariatric support group and attend. The people there will energize you and help you keep to the healthy changes. You have recognized a personal challange and need to take the steps necessary so that you do not regress.
  • Thaeda
    Thaeda Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    You have just admitted you are human and wanted a taste of a donut. SO WHAT? You are not on a diet - you have changed your eating to help you live better. We poison ourselves when we think "Diet". "Diet" implies suffering and we mentally reject that. You are losing weight more slowly but are still losing - great job! You are 75% to your goal in only 4.5 months - great job!. Focus on that and not the 1/2 of a taco. I would bet that a year ago it would have been the whole taco plus a few more, right? Give your self permission to live and be happy, enjoy playing with your kids.

That said; find a local bariatric support group and attend. The people there will energize you and help you keep to the healthy changes. You have recognized a personal challange and need to take the steps necessary so that you do not regress.

All of that (above) and just wanted to chime in and say that a bite or two here or there happens. For some people, it leads to overeating or only eating junk. Other people can handle it. If you find it leads you down the "slippery slope", then it jsut has to be a "no"--- but if not, an occasional foray into non "diet" foods will not kill you. :) You know you best... so do what you know will work.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    I agree, you have to know if you are dealing with a food you can control. I can have a few bites of fried chicken and it does not bother me. There is no way, however that I can eat a small bag of chips. Candy and cake are meaningless to me, but an old fashioned (nutmeg) donut from Dunkin would be a disaster.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    My biggest fear is getting too comfortable. I am 6 months out from surgery, and I have been very good about sticking to the plan my surgeon gave me. I agree with Ronnie that it's not good to demonize food by calling it good or bad, and it isn't good to beat ourselves up if we do slip, but I am not in a huge hurry to experiment at this point. I am good with how I eat. That said, I KNOW somewhere down the line, maybe sooner, maybe later, I will be tempted by something, and my feeling is, why look for trouble when I know it's going to find me?

You made a huge choice in the right direction by having the surgery to begin with, so you totally have it in you to refocus and get back on track. Start logging again, that will be a huge help, and Ronnie's suggestion of a support group was great. You should be proud of the progress you have made so far!!
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My WLS nut says there are no bad foods! You must eat in moderation is all. We all got obese by thinking these are bad foods and trying to withhold them and then ended up eating them but way too much of them. A bit here or there isn't going to hurt you if you stop at 1-2 bites. Log it all, the good, the bad and the ugly! I do! I was told the most successful people after WLS and trying to maintain their lose are the ones that log everything in daily and are honest about it too.
    Good luck!
  • BoysMommaX4
    BoysMommaX4 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks you guys! You all have made such good points. I am starting to log everything again and I am calling my surgeon's office this afternoon to find a support group. I think that this will help me a lot. I just need to stop making excuses about life and get back to the program.
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I log every bite in MFP every day and work out at least 5 days per week. I also eat a "small treat" nearly every day. What others have said... This is not a "diet". This is your new lifestyle and you need to find a way to live it. If there are certain foods you can't control yourself around, by all means, avoid them. For me, I'm enjoying the freedom to have a small amount of what I want while staying in control by logging EVERYTHING.

I burn 600 calories M-F mornings at 4:30am in cardo on my stationary bike. It gives me the freedom to eat some of what I like. I too have a short ways to go to reach my goal, (about 29 lbs left at last check). I shoot for 1000 calories including at least 75g of protein and don't allow myself to go over 1200 in a day. I'm losing slower now at almost 6 months out, but I'm still losing and loving life along the way! If I have a bad(ish) week or 2, I dial the carbs back a bit.

I also attend a monthly support group and have made some friends I see outside the group for an extra boost. This game is about control and I intend to control food rather than letting it control me. So far it's working.

Best of luck in your journey and getting back on track!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything said here. This is a lifestyle change not a diet. That said, I haven't had ice cream in 3 years by choice. I couldn't control myself with it prior to surgery and I frankly am afraid to try it again and then find I can't control myself with it now. I already found out I still can't control myself with flavored chips, so they don't come into my house anymore either. I think the trick here is to change your attitude about what you choose to eat. I don't eat ice cream or flavored chips anymore, because I choose not to. And because I choose not to, I do not feel deprived.

So you had a 1/2 a donut. OK, about 6 weeks agao I had a whole donut. I worked it into my plan for the day and didn't go over calorie goal. It's OK, you don't do it daily, neither do I. You had 1/2 a taco? I had 1/2 an Arby's Reuben sandwich. First fast food I've had in almost 3 years and I ate 1/2 because that's all I could eat. Again, it was logged and fit within my calories for the day. If you can say that 95% of the time you are eating healthy and working out and getting your water in, you will continue to lose or maintain. Frankly it's the rare person who is perfect food wiase 100% of the time.

I applaud your honesty and wanting to be accountable. Just don't be beating up on yourself. Overall you are doing great.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I know exactly what you mean. I am almost 3 years post-surgery and have 25 lbs left to lose and I have been eating way too many snacks/junk food. I need to start going back to my support group meetings too I think