What should be thrown out of your closet

Options
jocop2003
jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
Spring is finally here and last week I pretty much emptied my closet and was going through my clothes. Some things I find hard tossing and want to hold on to. Doesn't mean I will wear it, but I have a hard time tossing some things. However there are times that I wore that what I wear or have in my closet may be so out dated that I would be a candidate on What not to wear.

Those who are up to date on todays fashion, what can you advise should be tossed.

Replies

• MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    Be more specific please =)
    In my opinion, if you think something looks good and like it, you can wear it =)
    I don't believe in things generally going out of style, as long as I think it looks good =)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    Not in my closet but in my my dresser. It's an old t-shirt of my dad's. One of those oversized shirts that are super soft and drape so comfortably over you that they're like wearing a hug. It is the most unflattering thing in the world though. About 4 sizes too big, covered in paint, food, and general messy stains, there were so many holes in the sleeves that I ended up having to cut them off, and the shade of medium grey against my complexion makes me look like I have the flu. My husband calls it the elephant shirt because that's about the shade it is. I know that it's falling apart and isn't even worth saving for a cleaning rag, but I just can't do it! My dad gives me new ones, but I just can't part with the original.

So aside from that I also don't really believe in things going out of style. But since losing weight there are some things that need to be adjusted for that. I don't like throwing things out. So I have several old shirts that are far too big that I'm making into new shirts to go along with my new figure. The jeans are the hardest though. Most of mine are bootcut. And while I still wear them sometimes, I'd like to have some skinnies and straight legs. So I'm in the process of converting them into new styles. I just finished making an old too big maxi dress into a shrug wrap and a pair of beach pants. And then there are things that need to be taken in or up, but I'm in the middle of spring cleaning, so I'll get to that later. I like to recycle things. I think that the best investment I ever made was a sewing class and machine. No matter the style, a good fit brings any outfit up a notch.

And if you're looking for ways to modernize some older clothes, accessories! Belt a shirt, big ornate earrings with a boring shirt, a necklace in a contrasting color, new buttons, or a pin. Cheap and easy way to update things quickly.
  • jocop2003
    jocop2003 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Oh I think things can go out of style unless you are one of those people that can make anything look good.

I think one of the big things is Capri's, you know the ones that are between calf and knee length or at knee length.