My thighs are killing me

Options
Did my first stronglifts workout a day and a half ago, and my thighs are still sore and tender. I have just recently taken some Aleve and I am wondering if I should still do my second workout for the week today? I am sore enough where it hurts to stand up or sit down, should I push through it? Is this normal? All I have been doing lately is cardio in the form of jogging and zumba.This week was a bad week for diet and I want to pull up my socks and head to the gym. Any suggestions...

Replies

• sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I had soreness only in the first week, but I did not do any cardio on the off days. So I was able to workout the next day. I did no cardio for 2 weeks, just concentrated on SL. This is my 3rd week and for the Wed workout, I added a 10 min HIIT. My legs are sore, but not too much to not workout again today.

So maybe you could skip cardio for a few weeks, add in some low intensity walks if you love cardio, so that your body will get adjusted to the SL routine. After that you can start adding some rigorous cardio.

And congrats on starting SL, you will love it !!!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Sounds like DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness). I personally will workout with DOMS and I find it actually helps with the soreness. The only time I won't push it is when it feels like an injury or that something is pinched.

If you want to work out, go for it, but do a light warm-up to help get the blood flowing into the legs. Do some foam rolling if you can (this will hurt like hell if your doms is bad, but it WILL help) and make sure you get things stretched out with body weight before you start putting weight on. Once your body gets used to the movements, you should have less DOMS.
  • lizafava2
    Options
    I also feel better after I workout with (non-debilitating) soreness.
  • ks4e
    ks4e Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Sounds like DOMS (Delayed onset muscle soreness). I personally will workout with DOMS and I find it actually helps with the soreness. The only time I won't push it is when it feels like an injury or that something is pinched.

If you want to work out, go for it, but do a light warm-up to help get the blood flowing into the legs. Do some foam rolling if you can (this will hurt like hell if your doms is bad, but it WILL help) and make sure you get things stretched out with body weight before you start putting weight on. Once your body gets used to the movements, you should have less DOMS.

^^ this. I'm back to lifting after having the flu and many colds. I took nearly a 2 month break. My thighs were sore but I was able to push through it. An Epsom salt bath afterwards really helped!
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yep, the day after my first squat session was murder. I would look back, aim, and sorta fall into chairs the next day it was so bad. Wednesday rolled around (2 days later) and I decided to just try to do squats again and see how it went. It felt WAY better after the second workout. DO IT!

Do a few squats with just your body throughout the day to get blood to the area which will help. Make sure you warm up and then stretch after your workout too.

Good job starting! This is the worst it will ever feel (unless you quit for several weeks and then go back to it).
  • FitCowgirl8
    FitCowgirl8 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    When you first start lifting you will be sore especially if you have only been doing cardio up until now. Go ahead and do your workout today unless it feels more like an injury than general soreness. Stretch out and do a light warm up of some kind and you will be fine. Good Luck :)
  • Sallybally55
    Sallybally55 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Did m first workout yesterday and quads are very sore (not injured but sore) not sure what to do about my planed Day 2 tomorrow.

Should I still go and not squat? Wait another day?
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Did m first workout yesterday and quads are very sore (not injured but sore) not sure what to do about my planed Day 2 tomorrow.

Should I still go and not squat? Wait another day?

If it doesn't feel like an injury then its probs just DOMS, once you start exercising and getting the blood flowing through the muscles they will feel better
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I had the same problems during the first week. Just seeing stairs could cause a nervous breakdown :-D

But I still went on every second day with the lifting and strangely it didn't hurt at all dduring the exercises. From the second week on I was fine.

But I also didn't do any cardio in between and just rested.