Squat rack in my gym not adjustable, small woman problem

Options
Neonbeige
Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
Okay, so I am 5'2 and squat low like it is suggested, up to now I am fine without any support. But I am afraid that I will soon need it. Since I don't have a spotter, I am dependent on the rack. But these side bars that are supposed to keep the barbell in case I fail are too high for me and cannot be put lower.

I was thinking about putting something on the ground, or asking the gym if they would provide something. Any suggestions from you?

Do you all have proper power cages which you can use? Switching to another gym is no option because I recently signed the contract for a year... And aside from this I am content with it.

Replies

• __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Personally I would never squat without a cage so I don't really have any suggestions for you. But I don't want to end up being this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MTo9UN4Tc

How do the other people squat at your gym?

ETA: I definitely would ask the gym to invest in a cage. No hurt in asking. Every gym should have one, IMHO. In fact, I wished my gym had a couple as everyone was always fighting over the one we had. I ended up investing in my own because I got tired of waiting for it to open up.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Sorry, the only suggestion I have is to talk to the gym and see if they have any suggestions.

We have 2 regular squat racks and 1 power cage. One of the squat racks is too high for me to use. I have the same problem you have. Hopefully, the management will have an idea for you.
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    Sorry, double...
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    Hry, thanks for your replies :-) I think you're right, I'll have to talk to the gym people, maybe there's a super easy solution like a removable platform that can be pushed inside the rack...

In the long run I am planning to get my own equipment for home, but we are still thinking about a decent solution. We
    don't have space for a big cage, my man wants to build something that can be "folded" - we will see...

Until now I only saw three people squatting, two not really heavy and one guy today with a spotter, but also not thaaat heavy. Doesn't seem to be very popular in my gym or I am coming at the wrong time. Maybe all the taller people come sooner or later and are able to use the rack we have?

The video:noway: :laugh:
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    That really stinks, I am 5'2" and I have to lower the support bars every single time I squat or I bump them at the bottom of my squat. I hope you can find a solution!
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    I went to the gym today and asked them. But they said, they will not invest in something for one single user. And they won't do something compromise like, because of safety reasons - funny thing is, he then suggested I just put two steppers together :noway: yeah, because is so f#&#ing safe! Unbelievable!

But when I told that to my man, he suggested I squat between two benches, will try that next time with an empty bar.
  • foxandnegayo
    foxandnegayo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Do you know how to properly dump the bar?

If you're down at the bottom of your squat (or anywhere in the squat really), just send the barbell off your shoulders behind you and fall forward out of the way of the falling barbell. It's safer to let the barbell crash behind you than to keep struggling with the bar.

Hope this is helpful in the meantime. :)
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    5'3 and the same problem! The gym I like to go to has non-adjustable safety bars, so I put two 45 pound plates on the floor and squat on them, and they give me the extra inch-2 inches I need to not hit the safety bars.

It took a while for me to learn how to place them properly, but now they actually help me with my foot placement (I have a tendency to not go wide enough if I don't have the guide).

I was previously using a step, but I was worried about the weight once I got into heavier squats.
  • beckty
    beckty Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Personally I would never squat without a cage so I don't really have any suggestions for you. But I don't want to end up being this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7MTo9UN4Tc

That was HILARIOUS
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    @fox thanks, but, puh, I don't know, that thought scares me :-D

@rugby right now I squat between two benches. That works quite well. But I cannot use them if it's crowded. I will check your method tomorrow, I use 45 lbs plates under my feet for bench pressing already...
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    @fox thanks, but, puh, I don't know, that thought scares me :-D

@rugby right now I squat between two benches. That works quite well. But I cannot use them if it's crowded. I will check your method tomorrow, I use 45 lbs plates under my feet for bench pressing already...

Oh I never even thought of doing that for BP too! Thanks for the idea :)
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    :-) I also got the idea from here... It's a bit strange to have to put all the small human helpers everywhere though *lol*
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2". I don't have a problem with squatting, since the safety bars are adjustable. Usually they are not even on, actually. My problem is that none of the slots work for me for doing a bench press.
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    I haven't figured out the bench press problem yet. Until now I only lift 30kg and I am not increasing that fast... But yeah, I have to find a solution for that eventually
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    I ended up replacing the bench press with push-ups. Still working on being able to do real ones, though.
    I haven't figured out the bench press problem yet. Until now I only lift 30kg and I am not increasing that fast... But yeah, I have to find a solution for that eventually
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    Meh, push-ups are evil. I would feel super awkward doing them in the gym - the hip thrusts are nothing compared to that :-D but maybe I will either try to practice them at home and see how it goes or I try to find a spotter (should be easier than finding someone for squats)
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Not sure I understand what would be awkward about doing push-ups in the gym.
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    That's because you never saw me doing it :laugh: