Had sleeve procedure. Stopped losing. Need help.

Options
Tudanyane
Tudanyane Posts: 2 Member
A little over a year of having the sleeve procedure and have stopped losing. Need help getting back on track.

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Use a food scale, log your food. Are you eating the 70%protein,25%veg-no potato5%whole grain diet given to you by your surgeon? If not restart. Are you grazing or sticking to the 3 meals 1 snack? If not restart. I cannot stress the importance of going to support group meetings. I am a food addict. I know I need these meetings. I go to morning Mass a lot these days because I no longer medicate with food. I bring all my stress and problems to God and ask for help with my addiction. I remind myself constantly why I no longer eat wheat, rice and potato. They are my kryptonite foods. Like an alcoholic, they are my gateways to losing control. I will probably never be the person who can just eat a single serving bag of Cheetos and just move on. There is a pouch test that I read about. I think it is basically a liquid fast for a week. 4 protein shakes a day and water. To get you reset. Good luck, you have done this before and you can do it again.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Do you still see your surgeon and dietician? Have they given you any advice? I am 9 months out and my weight loss is much slower now - around a pound a week, sometimes not even that much. I think it's a combination of eating a bit more and not having much left to lose.

I don't know if you log your food here at MFP, but got me, it's the most helpful tool to keep me on track. When I don't log, I don't eat as well. Good luck to you!
  • lorigregory50
    Options
    Have to agree with the other posters, support group meetings and tracking food intake (and exercise!) is what keeps me on track. I found it helps me to be honest if I weigh food portions weekly, instead of eyeballing it. My portions keep growing is I don't check them once in a while!
  • csmccord
    csmccord Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm 19 months post RNY surgery. While it's a different surgery, the effort and effect is the same. I still track (except for the few weeks I just took off from tracking) and I still weigh about 90 or 95% of my food. Maintenance will be an ongoing effort for the rest of your life. I don't think I will ever call my weight problem beaten. It will be a battle for the rest of my life. No, I probably won't weight everything or track everything for the rest of my life, but I'll certainly be mindful of my portions, and will still periodically weigh or track my food. I also exercise regularly. I get about 2600 calories of exercise on a weekly basis. That allows me to either continue to lose, or to eat more, depending on what I want to do.

I was speaking to my doctor about this very subject last month. Basically he said that is what maintenance is. Weight yourself weekly, and if you notice a gain a few weeks in a row, then it's time to start tracking and weighing again, because your portion sizes have increased.

So in the end, this happens to all of us. We all hit the limits of what our surgery can do. It's not a magic solution that will fix everything. We still have to put in the work like everybody else. All the surgery can do is be a tool to help get us jumpstarted and reset our lives.
  • ujuoba
    ujuoba Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I can offer you my support and friendship. If you need a friend to listen, please consider me there for you.